ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noticable difference between a 172 Cup and a FF

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mondial Blue is the best colour on a Mk2 Clio, coupled with Turinis makes it the better still. Without the cup, all you 'ff' fags wouldn't have spoliers and splitters to go and put on your lardy cars ;) 99% of 'ff' 172 owners try (and fail) to make them look like Cups........ :rasp:

end.

Golf 7R
Been done to the death TBH. The cup is quicker FACT! Its simple logic...89kgs is quite a bit of weight saving. Its like running in a 100 metre sprint giving a guy a piggy back! The cup also looks better, so i'll be hotter in summer ( no ac ) i'll open a window, ill have crappy seats..still comfortable enough ( no RS is pure luxury ) and no ABS..i preffered it that way! The cup is the obvious choice!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I have to laugh in here somtimes. people can be sooo defensive over there cars. Christ,you suggest you like the FF better than a cup and people react like you broke into there house and shat on there carpet.

Thread lock perhaps?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Thread lockage and bannage for the thread starter if you ask me....for an inability to use the Search function.;)

172 Cup (Iceberg)
...missing ABS makes a effing big difference completley...

In 102,000 miles on the road I have never once missed it.

On track, its absence is for the better.

I agree. I don't miss ABS one bit. I'm sure most people without it would say that it doesn't make driving their cars any more difficult.

This little quote springs to mind also.........

Disadvantages of the system include increased braking distances under some limited circumstances (ice, snow, gravel, "soft" surfaces), and the creation of a "false sense of security" among drivers who do not understand the operation, and limitations of ABS.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I have to laugh at this, on one thread you get people saying the cup is so much faster then on other threads I have read how the engines on 1*2 can vary allot in power/performance.
In a straight line mine will and has kept up with a cup without a problem. In the bends it might technically be a fraction slower but I would say driver talent/balls had a bigger part to play in that situation ,imo.
Maybe cup drivers are all pro racing drivers;)

172 Cup (Iceberg)
I have to laugh at this, on one thread you get people saying the cup is so much faster then on other threads I have read how the engines on 1*2 can vary allot in power/performance.
In a straight line mine will and has kept up with a cup without a problem. In the bends it might technically be a fraction slower but I would say driver talent/balls had a bigger part to play in that situation ,imo.
Maybe cup drivers are all pro racing drivers;)

Yes, we all drive around with our helmets on! Did you not notice :)

clio 172 cup
if u have gd brakes u dont need abs, anyone that says u do cant drive properly, just keep stomping on the pedal alot more fun

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
im willing to meet anyone with a 172ff ahead with my cup, beat me & get £50

The cup will do 60 in a claimed 6.7s whilst the 172ff will do it in a claimed 7.0s? Do you know that 0.3s isnt even the snap of a fingers? I have to laugh at people like you, my car will do 0-60 in .3 seconds quicker than yours bla bla bla...

The cups faster yeah but your making it out as if its Ferrari quicker!

Your so cool:clown:

Renaultsport Clio 182
im willing to meet anyone with a 172ff ahead with my cup, beat me & get £50

with a statement like that i hope your Cup is modded to the hilt otherwise you could very well have your ar$e handed to you!

the performance figures between the 2 cars are so similar there's hardly any difference what so ever. All will be won & lost depending on how good a start you can get (if we're talking straight line heads up drag race)

round a track the Cup will be quicker but only by a small margin

can't we all just get along lol

of course not its a fourm:p

anyways well this is how i see it

172 FF (for people that want a bit of modern luxery and speed)
172cup (for the more car infeusast type of person, likes a bit of fun)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
can't we all just get along lol

of course not its a fourm:p

anyways well this is how i see it

172 FF (for people that want a bit of modern luxery and speed)
172cup (for the more car infeusast type of person, likes a bit of fun)

Is that enthusiast? If so thats the best misspelt version i've ever seen....honestly!;)

On topic, i agree with the summary. I could never own a FF now i've had a Cup...not focused enough IMO.

MCS R56
Been done to the death TBH. The cup is quicker FACT! Its simple logic...89kgs is quite a bit of weight saving. Its like running in a 100 metre sprint giving a guy a piggy back! The cup also looks better, so i'll be hotter in summer ( no ac ) i'll open a window, ill have crappy seats..still comfortable enough ( no RS is pure luxury ) and no ABS..i preffered it that way! The cup is the obvious choice!

Haha you have obviously never run the 100m!

So to answer the question, there is a noticable difference between the Cup and the regular 172. It may be small but it's there, which is the whole point of saving weight on different parts - to gain an advantage.

The biggest difference I noticed before even stepping into the car was the price! I'll drive naked before forking out for aircon in Scotland!:rasp:

172 cup
On the road you'll probably never 'feel' the difference. I bought my cup because the wheels alone make it look a hell of alot better!

That was silly, shoulda bought a FF and put the turinis on it:rolleyes:

The wheels weren't the ONLY reason! As someone else has said, the colour is beautiful and I do a few track days so wanted the cup for that reason as well. In my opinion the 172 cup is easily the best looking Clio as standard (except a V6). For 99.9% of the time I'm driving around in rush hour traffic so really the extra performance is just a bonus. Air con would be nice though, ha ha! Each to their own I guess

172 cup
By the way, if you really want to know the difference in straightline performance you'd be best looking at the 0-100 times rather than 0-60. Most cars are pretty close 0-60, there's just not enough time to make a difference.

My Dad has a 350z. The 0-60 of his car is 'only' 0.5 sec quicker than my Cup so that could lead people to say that there's no noticeable difference.........but there is!!! :eek: 0-100 shows performance much better.

I think the 0-100 difference between the 172 and Cup is about 2.5 sec (can't be bothered to go upstairs to get Evo, has anyone got it handy?!).

Having said that, how often do we do 0-100 mph flat out on the road?! That's why I think the look of my Cup is more important than the extra performance.

RS mk2 172
Well you have to laugh at some of the posts on this thread dont you, they always amuse me.
And yes I personally think the blue cup is the best colour...aaaaa did I just say that.

Clio 182 Trophy
Is it faster than the 182 Trophy? My best mate has just bought a 172 Cup and he keeps saying that it'll beat my car, suppose it's who drives it better.....

LY R26
Be near enough nothing in it,
but you get to kick back in your Recaros,
and enjoy your expensive sus. :)

C

Cupster

The RS clios are the best small hatches, agreed?

All good, but this means we have no one else to argue with so we argue amonst ourselves! lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Down to personal preference, but anyone saying ABS is irrelevant is a tool. I know all CSer's can drive like Michael Scumacher, whilst earning there CS wage, but ABS has been one of the biggest safety advances over the last 30 years. On, no, but wait, it's worse on gravel and snow, which I drive maybe 2 days a year? FFS don't be so defensive, just a car.
(PS love the quote about false sense of security, I love driving round, tailgaiting the car infront, singing about how ABS makes me invincible. Utter s**t)

BMW bus
Down to personal preference, but anyone saying ABS is irrelevant is a tool. I know all CSer's can drive like Michael Scumacher, whilst earning there CS wage, but ABS has been one of the biggest safety advances over the last 30 years. On, no, but wait, it's worse on gravel and snow, which I drive maybe 2 days a year? FFS don't be so defensive, just a car.
(PS love the quote about false sense of security, I love driving round, tailgaiting the car infront, singing about how ABS makes me invincible. Utter s**t)

100% agree.

I love my Cup and would never swap it for an FF, not fussed about A/C, Xenons or Leather, but I would feel a hell of a lot safer knowing I had ABS. As much as I like to imagine I'm blessed with McRae levels of skill behind the wheel, I know that in the split second it takes for someone to jump out in front of me whilst i'm tooling along, my instant reaction would be to stamp the brake pedal through the floor, lock up and let fate decide the outcome.

Bit irrelevant to the original question I spose but just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth.

P.S. Cups look the best;)

Elise 111R

100% agree.

I love my Cup and would never swap it for an FF, not fussed about A/C, Xenons or Leather, but I would feel a hell of a lot safer knowing I had ABS. As much as I like to imagine I'm blessed with McRae levels of skill behind the wheel, I know that in the split second it takes for someone to jump out in front of me whilst i'm tooling along, my instant reaction would be to stamp the brake pedal through the floor, lock up and let fate decide the outcome.

Bit irrelevant to the original question I spose but just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth.

P.S. Cups look the best;)

Why cant everyone else have this attitude!

Christ there is negligible advantages to having a cup other than you'll be 2k richer.

If you can live without the luxuries and dont mind not having ABS give it a go but otherwise it makes little to no sense what so ever to go for a Cup over a FF....