ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd limiter issue / engine not getting up to temp on a 182 FF / Cup packs

182 Trophy
Guys

Odd problem, ive recentley noticed that my car wont fully hit the limiter and stops at about 6700 RPM ... It has a rs tuner remap too so its meant to limit at 7800 (or somewhere around that figure) the car can have done a fair few miles and still hit an earlier limiter which seems odd ..

Is there some kind of protection in place which stops the car from hitting the limiter when cold ... im thinking something has gone a bit mad. On another note i noticed the other day on my 12 mile drive home from a mates (and on quite a warm evening) that the temp needle would move to just one bar / to nothing / then up to one bar again and didnt get fully warm. I swear evan on a cold day the same journey would see the temp gauge in the middle.

Whats going on im stumped ?

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I had the same thing a few months ago, the thermostat was staying open and cooling the engine to much so the cold limiter was also on.

I changed the thermostat and problem solved

ITB'd MK1
Thermostat. I think more cars than is realised need this changing. It takes ages for a properly functioning thermostat to open, most open within a couple of minutes

clio 182
had this on mine and had both parts changed and it still did it but worse,
sprayed wd40 in 2 the back of te thermostat plug and all was sorted.dont get me wrong good idea 2 get parts changed for new 1's but mite just need wd40 mate;) get renault parts 2!

182 Trophy
Thanks for the help guys ... Where is the coolant sensor located ?

I will try the WD40 trick first, is it doing my engine any damage just for normal driving if it isnt getting upto temp ?

I will get a new thermostat ordered from renault asap

BMW 118d
check the terminals are a tight fit on the coolant temperature sensor connector (harness) too the coolant temp sensor, could add a small cable-tie around the connector too secure it better, had that fault with mine worked a treat.

RS Clio 182
My temp gauge does this, but only occasionally, is it worth getting it changed do you think?

Is there any other downside apart from the ecu limiting the revs?

Mondeo TDCi
Cheers billy but what did they do and what did they charge you :p

They replaced the thermostat, temp sensor and did a complete coolant change. Can't remember the exact cost but well worth the dollar. Excellent work tbh.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
My temp gauge does this, but only occasionally, is it worth getting it changed do you think?

Is there any other downside apart from the ecu limiting the revs?

I would for the sake of a £10 thermostat + a litre of coolant.

as riddzz says the car will run rich, ours did and the mpg was a lot lower than normal. Its been perfect since i fitted the new stat :)

182 Trophy
errrrm a bit of a twist to the story, the car actually went up to temp earlier so floored it and it went all the way to the limiter then i looked at the temp gauge again and it was on 1 bar... it creeped up to normal and then down to 1 bar again

:D arghhhhh where is the thermostat

182 Trophy
Id just rather do it myself save 50 quid :D

Ive changed a rad / suspension etc on my old vx220 turbo so should be able to tackle this lol

Fabia vrs tdi
My cars limiting at around 6.5k, think I have the same issue.

Where is the thermostat is it easy enough to see if it's stuck open???

monaco 172
Just change the stat. I noticed on mine that it was only warming up to a notch below halfway, now ive got a new stat in it goes to one notch above halfway much faster.

For the sake of 14 quid from gsf you might aswel just change it while your taking it out to check it anyway. Like sideways danny keeps saying, alot more need changing that people first think.

Thermostat is inside the housing with 3 bolts in a triangle shape with a pipe coming off the top to the header tank, and a pipe coming towards you to the rad.

182 Trophy 019/500
When bleeding the system, am I right in thinking you

1. Undo the bleed nut
2. Top up the system from the header tank
3. Close valve
4. Run car with cap off header tank
5. top up when required
6. When up to temp, put cap back on
7. Take for drive and check levels in the morning