ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which to replace next: Lambda sensors, coil pack, injectors or other?

• Lambda sensor (pre cat)

• Lambda sensor (post cat)

• Both Labda sensors

• Injectors

• Coil pack

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Duk

172, 182, 200
So I have a clio 172 2003. A few months ago the emissions warning light started flashing. There was no detectable change to the emissions when probed, nor were there any detectable effects on performance. Later, the warning light went off and everything was fine for a few weeks. Yes, that's right, you can all see where this is going, later at a set of reds the warning light started flashing again. After a few minutes it then came on solid. After a quick diagnostics I found a P0300 historical error code "random cylinder misfire". As it turns out, many posts on this forum cover this error code extensively, with a multitude of solutions and also some failed attempts. Armed with this information, I had a look at the spark plugs and they were totally knackered. Problem solved I thought. Four new NGK laser platinum plugs later and things were running fine. Then yes, you guessed it, the dreaded warning light came back on accompanied by a detectable and intermittent misfire. Foot down, shudder shudder shudder, kick in the ass as you are propelled towards the back of an unsuspecting lorry type of thing. Now this, I find, is a bit of a problem in the whole error checking path. I had assumed the next thing to check would be the two lambda sensors as the misfire warning seemed to be an artifact of a failed sensor. Now there is an actual and rather substantial misfire I am more inclined to think injectors or coil pack. Given that this is a developing fault I am guessing something is on its way out and I probably need to replace something. Now in an ideal word I would just replace all four injectors, a new coil pack and two lambda sensors and have done with it but unfortunately, at the moment, I am the wrong side of broke. Can anyone take a punt and tell me which they would choose to do if they were in my position? Its a massive trade off between cost and the likelihood of fixing the problem(s). Any help would be much appreciated with this.

Duk

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Swop injectors over on the rail and see if the fault moves to a different cylinder.
Most times I've dealt with the issue it was an injector

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
it's not an emissions light. if it's flashing then it's an injector, simple as.

My light flashed at me in slow traffic yesterday and when I had a look tonight I was also getting the P0300 code.. Other than that it feels and drives as normal. Is it safe to keep running until it's bad enough for the reader to tell me which cylinder/misfire so I can go through the checks?
Also will it still be the injector or could my different cam timing cause it to be something else?

Many thanks

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Every thread i've seen on here where the flashing eml comes on when in traffic it is an Injector.

It's happened twice to me now over 2 years. Was an injector on both occasions.

Reactions: Duk

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Glad I saw this thread, my engine management light flashed at me randomly last night and hasn't done it since. I noticed idle is a bit jittery, the needle doesn't dip but you can hear it in the exhaust note when sat parked up.

I've recently had the plugs, leads and coilpack changed to fix a different running issue. Car seems to drive just fine other than that so will bare in mind the injectors should it get any worse.

dan's cast offs.
My light flashed at me in slow traffic yesterday and when I had a look tonight I was also getting the P0300 code.. Other than that it feels and drives as normal. Is it safe to keep running until it's bad enough for the reader to tell me which cylinder/misfire so I can go through the checks?
Also will it still be the injector or could my different cam timing cause it to be something else?

Many thanks

a better code reader will let you know what injector it is. you can check the resistance on them if you want.

injector most likely but when the coil pack goes it has similar symptoms. A p02-- fault code is injector. I had a p0204 code come up swapped the injector around with number 3 re scanned and got p0203 code so I knew it was the injector. To check coil just unplug one ht at a time to see if its firing. If there's a spark missing there's your problem.

330i. E30 Touring.
If it's failed completely it's simple to diagnose. Unplug them on by one with the engine running. If the miss gets worse then it's not that one that's the problem. If it stays the same. It's goosed.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers fella. I've a friend not too far away who's an AA man. Will give him a shout this weekend and see if he can find out which one it is via his laptop.
If he can't tgis weekend mate I've got a cheap obd reader on my phone that diagnosed exactly which one mine was if you want to come around and scan it?

Clear the fault then go for a drive, it might list a different fault next time identifying which cylinder it is.

Duk

172, 182, 200
Thanks for all the replies, I did a long journey yesterday with a more expensive borrowed code reader and finally pulled up P0201, Injector circuit / open cylinder 1. Well at least I have a cylinder. I will swap over the injectors tomorrow and see if it is indeed the injector or the leads / coil. Well at least it should be only one injector that needs replacing. Just as a heads up for anyone else, Euro car parts have them on offer at the moment for £49.99 per unit and free delivery.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...dcde75365536f5c8d16019165b1676b1553eea&000993

I will keep things posted if this sorts stuff out.

Cheers

Duk

Clio 182
Def the injectors mate just done all four of mine! Ring Renparts say your a forum member and they will sort you a better price!

Duk

172, 182, 200
Nice one Ricky, just rang them up and got a set of four. I thought I might as well bite the bullet and do them all. For completion (hopefully), I'll post the results once I get them in.