ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh [insert big swear word]!!

Fiesta ST
Broke down yesterday, had to get towed home. Towed it to garage today (a mk1 ph2 1.2 towing a mk1 ph3 1.4 was quite funny). I was told as soon as the mechanic tried to start it up that the cambelt has proberly gone :mad: I haven't got a clue about engines but I know it's guna be expensive. Still waiting for him to ring back to tell me how much damage its done but he said im looking at around £500 atleast :dapprove: has anyone else been in this situation? how much should it cost?

thanks

Fiesta ST
I was thinking that, but i've no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. How much would it cost to get a 1.4 engine and get it replaced? labour would be major part.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Labour is your killer mate. I think you could easily stroll into a 4-figure price tag if you're not careful.

Lionel Richie
ring 01254386661 and ask for matt, tell him Fred from Yozzasport sent you

he'll have loads of your engines in stock i would think

Fiesta ST
Was thinking of just getting another car, for say between 1000-1500, then selling mine to someone who can fix it or someone who wants to break it. Its in perfect condition apart from the engine. How mcuh do you think i'd get for it? It's done 64k miles, P reg, all electrics etc.

Lionel Richie
a car with a knackered engine is worth peanuts, with a running engine its worth a hell of a lot more

ring matt and ask, you'll be surprised!

Fiesta ST
I might do that, waiting for garage to ring back first and see how much they reckon they can fix it for.

SLK 350
You'll be looking at £400-£600 if your cambelts fcuked, and thats conservative.

You can buy a complete, and working engine for like £200, and even with labour you'll still be in pocket, just buy your own oils and fluids. Engine transplants aren't that time consuming with the right kit, you can do one in 5 hours easy if you got the tooling.

Fiesta ST
Garage rang back and it seems it has damaged 2 valves. He said it would be around £500 but will know more once he's taken the head off. I think for that sort of money I might aswell not do with the hassle, especially as I need the car asap.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So you gonna pay the garage bill of £500? Seems a lot of m oney but I guess without mechanical knowledge then you've only that option or selling.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
But to be honest if you are going to put in exactly the same engine itll be cheaper for him to put that in! It doent take that much time!

SLK 350
Indeed, leave your car at the garage. Phone Matt and buy an engine, get it delivered to the garage and have them fit it. You should still be in pocket.