ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Breathing options

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I have just fitted a pipercross airfilter and oil breather,

ive raised the bonnet to clear the strut brace,

and now i can smell the fumes from the oil breather if i turn the blowers on,

after hearing long ago that the fumes are faaaaaaaaaaaar from good for you, i spent the rest of the drive with the vents shut,

now my options are,

1. remove the bonnet raisers, and try to get it to fit over the strut brace,
2. remove the strut brace and bonnet raisers,
3. try and plum the oil breather back into the induction pipe,

seeing as its a 1.2, all of the options are from a cosmetic point of view,

though im not sure if a front upper strut brace makes any difference,

thoughts please :approve:

M

mini-valver

You'll have holes in the strut top if you remove the strut brace. Fitted one to a mates and didnt need tp raise the bonnet?

Easiest thing to do is run a hose back into the induction pipe OR, buy a catch tank.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Or run 2m of hose under the car so the fumes vent to the atmosphere.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
are there any gains of having the oil going back into the induction pipe or breathers or catch tanks??

ill have another look at the strut brace tomorrow,
its an adjustable one, and seeing as the adjuster nut thingy, is quite far off centered,
i believe tightening it may bring the highest point of the brace down (it only needs to come down a few mm) if that makes any sence

M

mini-valver

I run the tube under the car in mine ATM but it's abit pikey. Catch tank's are cheap and easy to fit.

Look pimp too.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
think im gna try n get that strut brace out the way,

doesnt running a pipe to the floor just mean you leave lil dots of oil everywhere you go??

M

mini-valver

Depends how much the engine is breathing really, it's very minimal anyway.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
pardon my ignorace,
but besides the obvious,
what is an oil catch tank?

obviously its a tank to catch the oil, but what does it look like, and how does it work?

Clio 182
Basically a pipe would go from where the breather usually is and into a metal can/tank.......with a breather filter on the top...............
Well think its this way anyways

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Here's mine on my 172 turbo( metal canister by the ECU at bottom of pic), hope it helps answer you question mate. Pipe from breather on cam cover goes into the catch tank then vents to atmosphere through a small filter connected to the second pipe under the car.

18-09-08044.jpg

M235i / 172
I made my own stainless catch tank, with a small filter on top. I'll get some pics up tmra if i have time.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
so in short, they wouldnt solve my problem lol

though they do look like a nice piece of kit,
do they ever get full?? and what happens when they do lol

M

mini-valver

so in short, they wouldnt solve my problem lol

though they do look like a nice piece of kit,
do they ever get full?? and what happens when they do lol

It would. Your problem is your breather is venting right next to the scuttle as your bonnet is lifted. Fitting a catch tank and breather AWAY from the scuttle area will stop you getting smells inside the car.

Fit the catch tank to the bulkhead then the breather filter on a pipe lower down near the master cylinder.

Clio RT
Here's mine on my 172 turbo( metal canister by the ECU at bottom of pic), hope it helps answer you question mate. Pipe from breather on cam cover goes into the catch tank then vents to atmosphere through a small filter connected to the second pipe under the car.

18-09-08044.jpg
just out of interest, where can i get my hands on some of those hoses, looks very neat :)