ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change 182

I have been an interested observer over the last few weeks and have decided (after seeing previous posts) to change the oil after 1000 miles(182 with cup suspension).

Has anyone done this yet? Is it possible without a ramp or pit etc as their is not much room underneath and also the oil filter looks awkard to get at.

I was also going to use engine flush and add an engine addidtive (greased lightning) any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JT 182 on 20 May 2004

I have been an interested observer over the last few weeks and have decided (after seeing previous posts) to change the oil after 1000 miles(182 with cup suspension).
Personally I dont think you need to change the oil so soon, and neither do Renault. I left mine until 6k miles and even then it was still pretty clean.

Has anyone done this yet? Is it possible without a ramp or pit etc as their is not much room underneath and also the oil filter looks awkard to get at.
Yup, its easy to do, and easier if you remove the injector rail protector that sticks out from the side of the inlet manifold and blocks your access.

Look >>> http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1077545564__Clio_172_Injector_Cover.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1077545564__Clio_172_Injector_Cover.jpg

I was also going to use engine flush and add an engine addidtive (greased lightning) any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated
No, youll probably do more harm than good here as the engine needs a good few thousand miles to break in properly before youd even think of changing to a fully synth oil, let alone start adding additives so soon!

If you really do want to change the oil, then by all means do so and then use a good ACEA A3 rated 10W40 semi-synth as recommended and allow the engine the bed in fully and loosen up, as they take a good 10-12k miles to do this normally.

My reccomendations would be to change, just for peace of mind and chances sake, you never know if that one tiny bit of oil will ruin a shell.

Its easy to change, dont worry.

Engine flush........sure, not problems, just done run on it for long at all. And an additive, so long as its the correct type. I dont know the composition of greased lightning but the only additive you need when running in an engine is one with a high moly count, u dont want to be adding anything else. You dont want friction modifiers or anything like that....just moly.

When you change oil,stick to a multigrade....a mineral. Then change 3000 miles later to more mineral. Then swap to your choice of oil for life....semi or fully synth.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

think im goin to do mine this wkend.

the oil is still like new after 3000 miles, checked it every couple of weeks or so, still on full on dip stick. this seems a bit odd after reading some posts on here, having to top up etc...

BenR - what mineral would you recommend, i was just going to throw some magnatec (10W40) in ??

Thanks gents

I noticed underneath engine on plastic cover their is a circular cover that can be removed- i take it that this gives access to sump plug and if so is it just a standard size bolt or is a special tool required.

Sorry to hijack but just wondered if the filters are availible off the shelf and would the dealer mind if there was a non standard fiter fitted when the first service is done.

Orange 182

I due to change mine soon too... Any recommendations where to buy some decent ELF mineral oil as you suggest and an OE filter (what is OE? probably a stoopid question).

Cheers.