ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Change Clio 182 - Semi-Synthetic?

FF Arctic Blue 182
Just booked my 182 in at Renault for an oil change at 6k miles. They are going to use semi-synthetic oil in my car, is this ok? Fully synthetic oil is available at an extra £15 per litre, but the change is already costing £65!

Can anyone tell me whether semi-synthetic in the 182 is ok and the differences between semi and fully synthetic?

Cheers.

They should use the fully-synthetic Elf Excellium 5w40 as that is what is specified in the handbook.

And f**k off an extra £15 a litre!!!

A 5 litre bottle of the stuff is book value £35 I think, but I can get it for about £24 from the parts department at the Renault Garage, so don't take any s**t about £15 extra a litre. :mad:

If you haven't already then ring round other dealers and get quotes for the service, otherwise you're gonna get ripped off big style!

White16valver said:
They should use the fully-synthetic Elf Excellium 5w40 as that is what is specified in the handbook.

And f**k off an extra £15 a litre!!!

A 5 litre bottle of the stuff is book value £35 I think, but I can get it for about £24 from the parts department at the Renault Garage, so don't take any sh*t about £15 extra a litre. :mad:

If you haven't already then ring round other dealers and get quotes for the service, otherwise you're gonna get ripped off big style!

wot he just said , parts shouldnt come to that much really .
for silkolene 5w 40 and filter was 47 notes or so . ;)

renault clio 182 cup
i done my 6k oil change myself.paid 19.99+vat for 5 litres of fully synthetic elf excellium 5w40,just be careful as 1 dealer tryed to charge me £40 +vat.

Dont pay for oil, go get your own and supply it and watch them pour it in....or just get the cheap stuff and change it again later on.

Megane225FF
I'd unbook the car out of that garage.. £15 extra per litre? £65 for an oil change? Robbery!
You need fully synthetic BTW.

J

Jim NM

It's well worth getting to know your car and finding your way around it. Simple maintenance like oil changes etc is easy to do. So why part with your hard earned money, especially to dubious types that tan your @rse for doing a simple oil change! Fookin garages :eek:

Clio 172 mk2
I was quoted £60 just for oil at a Renault dealers recently when I went to get a price on a 24k service!

£15 extra a litre? Robbing c*nts, shouldnt pay more than £15 a litre (absolute tops) for fully synth, and certainly not £15 ontop of whatever they charge for semi.

FF Arctic Blue 182
White16valver said:

Where abouts in the book does it specify that it should be fully synthetic? Just been to the garage and he says it states in their handbook that it should be semi-synthetic as that is what comes in the car from new.

FF Arctic Blue 182
Yeah I can only see the oil ratings, I can't find anywhere where it says Efl Excellium or even just fully synthetic?

FF Arctic Blue 182
Right, defo gonna do this myself now, just to confirm:

1 : Jack up car and drain oil
2 : Change filter
3 : Replace oil, Elf Excellium, 4.75 litres

That all?

FF Arctic Blue 182
Oh and where can I buy the oil filter and sump nut washer from? Sorry for all questions, never done anthing like this and I wanna get it right lol!

Rb 182
just remember to fill the new filter with oil before fitting it, letting the oil pump fill the filter is rather nasty for the motor due to the amount of oil it takes

any good quality fully synthetic oil will work just fine, as long as its 5w40

Rb 182
oil filter and sump nut washer will be available from motorfactors or halfords

u may need a filter removal tool as i seem to recall its a bit tight down there, and you'll probably have to remove the fuel rail cover too but thats only 2 bolts