ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change. Dipstick says empty.

172 Cup
Just done a full engine oil change. Fitted a new filter too. Put 5.1 litres in and the dipstick and the trip computer both say empty. I went for a little drive and they still said the same. It looks as tho more oil came out than went in. It's fookin weird. Any chacne there could be an air pocket or something?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
u sure u put oil actualy in the engine, and not in the washer bottle or coolant tank

172 exclusive
have known electronic dipstick to get a air bubble stuck but it clears,these engines hold 5 1/1 ltrs most oil cans of this spec only hold 4 so wont show on dipstick

172 Cup
Well I had 6 1ltr bottles and I put 5 in then put 0.1ltr of the 6th bottle. Its not even showing up on the old fashioned dipstick. I put a bit more oil in just in case as I spilt a bit.

Lots of Alfas
Look at the dipstick carefully, when the oil is new its hard to see on its metal surface. You dont want to overfill it, if you put 5 litres in and nothings come out the bottom I wouldnt risk it.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Daft question, you didnt fill the oil up on a hill did you?
Is the car on a flat surface and try the oil now.

good advice this - my ex gf said there was no oil in her car and she put some in - i knew she always parked on a hill so i went out to check when she was at mine (on flat) and it was far too high then!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
So should i just drop the 5l bottle in then hope it reads good on the dip stick? also how much are filters from the dealers or am i better of buying one from some where like camberely auto factors?

Ph2 172 Cup
I always get a 5l bottle and that does me fine including changing the filter.

I think I read somewhere that there's about 200-300ml you pretty much can't get out of the system no matter how long you leave it. 5.1 litres is the completely empty (i.e. brand new) capacity.