ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil down by ur spark plugs

Mini Cooper S JCW

when changed the plugs over, there woz oil down there, wots this mean?

AA guy said i needed a new rocker cover, but then some1 else said it could be the head gasket seal? rubber thing?

oh yeah, n there is no blue smoke, let alone any smoke coming out of the exhuast.

(as u can tell i aint got a clue wot im talkin about! so simple explination is required!!!)

Marc.

Would deffo say your rocker cover gasket mate. About £17 for genuine renault part. Remove the plastic cover on the top of the block with the 2 plastic thumb screws then you will see the bolts you need to undo - a fair few of them.

When putting the new gasket in, I think its best to use some oil on the surface to hold the new gasket in place, and sometimes its easier to release the cam belt cover slightly to make it easier to get the cover back in.

Very easy job, at most 30 mins for a complete amateur.

Cheers

Geoff

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

me and benr fixed it today on mine, cost 3quid for the silicon sealent, check out the pic in off topic.

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Could be the gasket!

But could alse be you!!! When pouring oil into the engine, it is easy to get oil in between the hole and the plastic cover. The oil will work its way down to the plugs!!!!

Michael

Mini Cooper S JCW

Quote: Originally posted by cliokongen on 11 September 2003

Could be the gasket!

But could alse be you!!! When pouring oil into the engine, it is easy to get oil in between the hole and the plastic cover. The oil will work its way down to the plugs!!!!

Michael <SCRIPT language=javascript>
could be mate, but i doubt it , as i use like a funnel thingy when pouring the oil in.

ok cheers guys!!! much appriciated!

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Forget using the OE gasket.... it will leak at some point.... use silicon based sealant instead....

Michael

Use an Original rocker cover gasket from Renault and just nip up the fixing bolts after a fortnight and good bye leak. Silicone sealant !!!!! Thought you were a pro Ben.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Silicone has a tendency to fall of into the engine if not applied liberally it could easily find its way into one of the oil ways.

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

I never use OE paper gaskets, only head gasket and sealing rings... Never had any problems using sealant....

Michael

i am changing my rocker cover gasket this eve. get the same prob of oil in the spark plugs!

so people are basically sayin it will still leak even when i have changed the gasket? what exactly do u do with the silcome sealant?

cheers

Pete

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

You need a proper automotive sealant, resistant to oil, petrol, heat etc. Dunno if its silicone based. It comes in a variety of different applications. Smear an unbroken line of sealant on the totally clean surface. Put the parts together. It will cure/harden under pressure when u tigthen the bolts.

Michael

im sure when u take all the bolts out and take the head off the sealant will easily brake away , so ull have to re-seal it when u put the head back on !

Im gonna attempt to do mine this afternoon,where can i get the sealant from?

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Yep... it will break away... I would recommend using the Loctite products such as: 5922 or 5972 (high temp)

Michael

Mini Cooper S JCW

i will replace the rubber seal - god knows wot its called, n if it happens again.... il seal it like ur explaining!

oh.... when u take the rocker cover off..... can u like get at the bottom of the spark plugs so i can get ride of all the oil in the holes at the moment?

All i did was used a lot of kitchen roll and bunged it down there left it to soak up all the oil for a minute then took it out , watch u dont get the paper stuck down there tho lol !

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 12 September 2003

Silicone has a tendency to fall of into the engine if not applied liberally it could easily find its way into one of the oil ways.
If its applied incorrectly or liberally it WILL break off into the oil ways.