ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil for the 182 - a source

RB182cup&golf gti

im no expert but there was a thread not so long ago about the quality of oil and the disadvantages of cheap synthetic oils and that theyre a lower grade than the more expensive brands

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 20 January 2005
Like everything you get what you pay for.

True.

But is this oil going to be any different from the Elf ive just ordered, as they work out about the same price.

And ive had to order 24 litres to get it at that price
:confused:

Think ill be sticking to the Elf oil from Debra, Afterall you spend thousands on the car so why try to save a few quid on oil.

Anyway 5w10 isnt hard to get, they sell it in my local Halfords and at my local 24 hour Asda superstore.

Do you really think its possible to formulate a decent oil at these prices?

The answer is NO, you get what you pay for.

Think how many people there are in the chain, the oil refinery, the additive suppliers, the wholesalers ane the retailers. The base cost of this oil is next to nothing and thats why I wouldnt even put it in my lawnmower!

Think about it.

You car cost thousands, engine rebuilds cost thousands - its not worth it if you value your car. SIMPLY MADNESS!

Use a decent oil, its not like petrol which really doesnt make a difference.

If youre selling the car next week then use it.

Cheers

Simon

Quote: Originally posted by oilman on 20 January 2005
Do you really think its possible to formulate a decent oil at these prices?The answer is NO, you get what you pay for.Think how many people there are in the chain, the oil refinery, the additive suppliers, the wholesalers ane the retailers. The base cost of this oil is next to nothing and thats why I wouldnt even put it in my lawnmower!Think about it.You car cost thousands, engine rebuilds cost thousands - its not worth it if you value your car. SIMPLY MADNESS!Use a decent oil, its not like petrol which really doesnt make a difference.If youre selling the car next week then use it.CheersSimon

I know what your saying, but they are only Clios after all, not some Italian supercar, and its what the manufacturer recommends.

Plus the point about saving a few quid, well the costco stuff works out about the same price as Elf off Debra, and as i said b4 you have to buy 24 litres to get it at that price :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by oilman on 20 January 2005
Well, if its only a Clio thats ok then ;)CheersSimon

[Edited by oilman on 20 January 2005 at 6:02pm]

You know what i mean
;)

So oilman, what would you recommend.

Bearing in mind that 95% of miles are M/way, 5% fun, about 12,000 a year.

Would i see any benefits from using other than the Elf reno recommend as i wont be the one that owns it when it reaches 60/70/80,000 miles.

Also how much we talking?

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

try: http://www.a-pp.com/shop/Silkolene_Engine_Oils.htm ">http://www.a-pp.com/shop/Silkolene_Engine_Oils.htm

Brun, who used to be the oil god of this forum a few years ago (and may still be) recommened this type of oil for the 172, fully synthetic. I used this and it meant that my old 172 stopped jittering on cold mornings for the first few miles and also improved the speed with which the oil would reach optimal temperature.

Good oil does make a difference.

[Edited by greeper on 20 January 2005 at 7:47pm]

Quote: Originally posted by greeper on 20 January 2005
try: http://www.a-pp.com/shop/Silkolene_Engine_Oils.htm ">http://www.a-pp.com/shop/Silkolene_Engine_Oils.htm Brun, who used to be the oil god of this forum a few years ago (and may still be) recommened this type of oil for the 172, fully synthetic. I used this and it meant that my old 172 stopped jittering on cold mornings for the first few miles and also improved the speed with which the oil would reach optimal temperature. Good oil does make a difference.

[Edited by greeper on 20 January 2005 at 7:47pm]

So how much?

Chris the Silkolene Pro S is £109 + delivery for 20 liters.

Thats from Oilman (Simon) and its £150 from the site listed above.

Cya Stu

PS theres no middle man when buying direct either from Debra or Simon.

[Edited by stusV6 on 20 January 2005 at 10:02pm]

Just one question - what the hell are you going to do with 20/24 litres of oil? It just seems a wee bit of an excessive amount - how often are you lot planning on changing the oil????

Although Id be interested in a split purchase with anyone in the Falkirk/Central Scotland area. i.e. order the 24 litres of elf stuff and split the cost/supply between a few of us. Realistically I only plan on having the Clio for another 3 years max so dont need 24 litres to myself... PM me if interested.

I would recommend Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 if you want to buy a good proper ester/pao synthetic

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/PRO%20S%20-%204%20Wheel.pdfhttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/PRO%20S%20-%204%20Wheel.pdf

1x5 litres = £39.55 incl carriage

2x5 litres = £72.25 incl carriage

4x5 litres = £124.99 incl carriage

If you just want a decent but cheap semi-synthetic 10w-40 then

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/silkolene%20xtr%2010w_40.pdfhttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/silkolene%20xtr%2010w_40.pdf

1x5 litres = £22.99

2x5 litres = £37.99

4x5 litres = £61.99

You get what you pay for so bear in mind the PRO S will run for 12000 miles without changes and the XTR around 3/4000 miles - do the maths!

Motul 300V is similarly priced to Silkolene PRO S details are here:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htmhttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

You can always email me for a full price list: mailto:sales@opieoils.co.uk">sales@opieoils.co.uk

If I can get enough orders together then Id be happy to give a discount to Members, saving a few quid!

Cheers

Simon

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 21 January 2005

Just one question - what the hell are you going to do with 20/24 litres of oil? It just seems a wee bit of an excessive amount - how often are you lot planning on changing the oil????

Although Id be interested in a split purchase with anyone in the Falkirk/Central Scotland area. i.e. order the 24 litres of elf stuff and split the cost/supply between a few of us. Realistically I only plan on having the Clio for another 3 years max so dont need 24 litres to myself... PM me if interested.

Ally.......assuming that youll be servicing your car over the next 3 years it could need 3 oil changes..........if you put your car into Reno then......

1 = you dont know what they are putting in.

and

2 = they will charge you around £40 to £50 each time just for the oil.

So if you buy the Elf then it will work out a LOT cheaper and you will know that what is being put in your car is the correct oil as recommended by Reno.

Also if you buy the Silkolene Pro S from Simon there will still be savings either way you save money and your car has been running with the correct oil in it eh :D

Cheers Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 21 January 2005 at 3:43pm]

Renaultsport Clio 182

I have some Elf from debra ready to drop in.

The manufacturers recommendations are there for a reason. All test work and development work is based on the oil they recommend but then again its only a recommendation.

Manufacturers in the main recommend a minimum standard, you can always step up from this minumum.

I.E. Many recommend 10w-40 Semi-synthetic, it doesnt preclude you from using a fully synthetic. Unless of course you own a rotary engine but, thats a whole different story!

Cheers

Simon (RX8 Owner!)

So Simon (oilman), again what benefits would i see using this type of oil?

Car is never going to be tracked, i dont suffer from poor performance when cold, 95% of miles are M/way and i wont be keeping it more than 3 years, maybe less.

I need convincing that its worth the extra, specially as ive just ordered from Debra

Quote: Originally posted by JPW172 on 21 January 2005
just get elf from renault..its only 3.49 a litre.job done

Funny you should say that. Just sat here at the PC and its arrived, 24 litres for £64, thats £2.66 a litre
:)

Ordered Monday, arrived today (Friday)

Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 21 January 2005

So Simon (oilman), again what benefits would i see using this type of oil?

Car is never going to be tracked, i dont suffer from poor performance when cold, 95% of miles are M/way and i wont be keeping it more than 3 years, maybe less.

I need convincing that its worth the extra, specially as ive just ordered from Debra

Hmm, dont know what happened to my reply.

Based on the below, I would say there are quite a few and with extended drain periods they will probably cost you less per annum.

Oil drains can be extended

Vehicle life can be extended

Costly repairs can be reduced

Fuel mileage can be improved

Performance can be improved

Synthetic basestock molecules are pure and of uniform size. This is because synthetic basestocks are designed from the ground up with the sole purpose of protecting your engine. Nothing is added if it does not significantly contribute to the lubricating ability of the oil.

In addition, in top-quality synthetics, no component is added which might be contaminated with any substance that might lessen the lubricating qualities of the oil. In other words, manufacturers of these premium synthetics implement very strict quality control measures to ensure no contamination.

EXTENDED OIL DRAINS

Stable Basestocks

Synthetic oils are designed from pure, uniform synthetic basestocks, they contain no contaminants or unstable molecules which are prone to thermal and oxidative break down.

Because of their uniform molecular structure, synthetic lubricants operate with less internal and external friction than petroleum oils which have the non-uniform molecular structure. The result is better heat control, and less heat means less stress to the lubricant.

Higher Percentage of Basestock

Synthetic oils contain a higher percentage of lubricant basestock than petroleum oils do.

This is because multi-viscosity oils need a great deal of pour point depressant and viscosity modifying additives in order to be sold as multi-viscosity oils.

Synthetic oils, require very little in the way of pour point depressants and viscosity modifiers. Therefore, synthetic oils can contain a higher percentage of basestock, which actually does most of the lubricating anyway. More basestock leads to longer motor oil life.

Additives Used Up More Slowly

Petroleum basestocks are much more prone to oxidation than synthetic oils, oxidation inhibitors are needed in greater supply and are used up very quickly. Synthetic oils do oxidize, but at a much slower rate therefore, oxidation inhibiting additives are used up much more slowly.

Synthetic oils provide for better ring seal than petroleum oils do. This minimizes blow-by and reduces contamination by combustion by-products. As a result, corrosion inhibiting additives have less work to do and will last much longer than within a petroleum oil.

Excellent Heat Tolerance

Synthetics are simply more tolerant to extreme heat than petroleum oils are. When heat builds up within an engine, petroleum oils quickly begin to burn off. They volatize. In other words, the lighter molecules within petroleum oils turn to gas and whats left are the large petroleum oil molecules that are harder to pump.

Synthetics are resistant to this burn-off. They will tolerate much higher engine temperatures.

EXTENDED VEHICLE LIFE WITH FEWER REPAIRS

Heat Reduction

More often than not, vehicle life is determined by engine life. One of the major factors affecting engine life is component wear and/or failure, which is often the result of high temperature operation. The uniformly smooth molecular structure of synthetic oils gives them a much lower coefficient of friction (they slip more easily over one another causing less friction) than petroleum oils.

Less friction, of course, means less heat in the system. And, since heat is a major contributor to engine component wear and failure, synthetic oils significantly reduce these two detrimental effects.

In addition, because of their uniform molecular structure, synthetic oils do not cause the "blanket effect" which was mentioned earlier. Since each molecule in a synthetic oil is of uniform size, each is equally likely to touch a component surface at any given time, thus moving a certain amount of heat into the oil stream and away from the component. This makes synthetic oils far superior heat transfer agents than conventional petroleum oils.

Greater Film Strength

Petroleum motor oils have very low film strength in comparison to synthetics. The film strength of a lubricant refers to its ability to maintain a film of lubricant between two objects when extreme pressure and heat are applied.

Synthetic oils will typically have a film strength of 500% to 1000% higher than petroleum oils of comparable viscosity. In fact, believe it or not, even though heavier weight oils typically have higher film strength than lighter weight oils, a 0w30 or 5w-40 weight synthetic oil will likely have higher film strength than a 15w40 or 20w50 petroleum oil.

Thus, even with a lighter weight oil, you can still maintain proper lubricity and reduce the chance of metal to metal contact when using a synthetic oil. Of course, that means that you can use oils that provide far better fuel efficiency and cold weather protection without sacrificing engine protection under high temperature, high load conditions. Obviously, this is a big plus, because you can greatly reduce both cold temperature start-up wear and high temperature/high load engine wear using the same low viscosity oil.

Engine Deposit Reduction

Engine cleanliness is certainly an issue. Petroleum oils tend to leave sludge, varnish and deposits behind after thermal and oxidative break down. Theyre better than they used to be, but it still occurs.

Deposit build-up leads to a significant reduction in engine performance and engine life as well as increasing the number of costly repairs that are necessary. Since synthetic oils have far superior thermal and oxidative stability than petroleum oils, they leave engines virtually varnish, deposit and sludge-free.

Better Cold Temperature Fluidity

Synthetic oils and other lubricants do not contain paraffins or other waxes which dramatically thicken petroleum oils during cold weather. As a result, they tend to flow much better during cold temperature starts and begin lubricating an engine almost immediately. This leads to significant engine wear reduction, and, therefore, longer engine life and fewer costly repairs.

IMPROVED FUEL MILEAGE AND PERFORMANCE

As indicated earlier, synthetic oils, because of their uniform molecular structure, are tremendous friction reducers. Less friction leads to increased fuel economy and improved engine performance.

Any energy released from the combustion process that would normally be lost to friction can now be transferred directly to the wheels, providing movement.

Vehicle acceleration becomes swifter and more powerful while using less fuel in the process.

The uniform molecular structure of synthetic oils has another performance enhancing benefit as well. In a petroleum oil, lighter molecules tend to boil off easily, leaving behind much heavier molecules which are difficult to pump. Certainly, the engine loses more energy pumping these heavy molecules than if it were pumping lighter ones.

Since synthetic oils have more uniform molecules, fewer of these molecules tend to boil off.

More importantly, when they do, the molecules which are left are of the same size and pumpability is not affected.

Long but hopefully informative.

Cheers, Simon

[Edited by oilman on 21 January 2005 at 5:58pm]

Quote: Originally posted by oilman on 21 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 21 January 2005So Simon (oilman), again what benefits would i see using this type of oil?

I need convincing that its worth the extra, specially as ive just ordered from Debra[/QUOTE]

Yes i know.

But i would still be curious to know what benefits there are, in my circumstaces.

Quote: Originally posted by JPW172 on 21 January 2005

just get elf from renault..its only 3.49 a litre.job done

Hi JPW................£3.49................are you sure thats for the Elf Excellium LDX 5 W 40................cause my local Reno dealer want £8...................and they dont normally keep any in stock :confused:

Cya Stu

PS thats £8 plus vat.

[Edited by stusV6 on 21 January 2005 at 7:48pm]

Cheers for that info Oilman. Quality oil aint something Ill be skimping on, mainly because I really want to look after my Clio and also because the nature of my work (and short 3.5mile commute) means I do a lot of short journeys around town.

Q for anyone: how much oil is required for an oil change on the mk2 172s engine?

(Im trying to decide how much I need to order if Im keeping the car 3-4 years, 30-40k miles!, i.e. 3 services plus top ups).

Cheers
Ally

Cheers Stu, Ill float the idea of splitting the cost of an oil bulk buy at the Falkirk meet on the 4th Feb. You making this one? Or Crail on Sun 6th?

I have a trusted mate (future father-in-law!) who assists me with services, so Ill be doing the lot myself. Dont trust garages that much TBH.