ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Help

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I normally use 5w40 fully synth.

But since the clio will always be up high in the revs (8000 rpm) and on track..

Is it worth upping it to 5w50 fully synth? Halfords do one for £32.00 and ive never had any issues with there oils in the past.

Whats are the pro's/con's?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ben - I've always used 5W50 fullyS. Mobil1. Swear by it. Just make sure the cars nice and hot before you give it some stick!

I'm sure the condition of my cars engine wise is down partly to high quality oils.

53 Clio's & counting
i though the first number is heat range/viscosity when cold ( which is why pouring in 0w 30 is like water compared to 15w40) and the 2nd number was the heat range/viscosity when hot?

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
dont really know a great deal about oil, but my understanding was that high revs mean more heat and that's the reason it loses viscosity? I use 5w40 on road/track without a cooler and I've never really had any issues and my engine has been hammered if I'm brutally honest.

Ben....you've jsut splashed out on a new engine.

Just remember you get what you pay for..............step away from halfords.

ITB'd MK1
I think you need to get on track and see what the oil temps are like. A good 5w40 should be ok with an oil cooler, or a 10w50 without. Halfords motorsport is Comma motorsport, which is actually pretty good. seen a couple of oil analysis reports and it seems to be quite decent, and also has a decent ACEA rating

RS RIP
Yep Motul !!

And the 5w40 is good for cold starts etc. , gives better lube on cold than for example my 10w40. But the 10w40 is supposed to lube better when engine get realllly hot like on track.

Search for oilman ; he's the one with the oil-knowledge round here

Lionel Richie
in simple terms the lower the first number = the thinner it is when cold
the higher the second number - the thicker it is when hot

we ran Millers 10W60 and the engine lasted well!