ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil - You get what you pay for!

Hi Adam

I think a couple of their oils are genuine synthetic, but not all of them and I'm pretty sure they don't make any ester ones.

Cheers

Tim

As long as it's not been opened, it will be fine. Give it a shake to make sure the additives haven't settled out, but other than that it will be okay.

ibiza cupra
Castrol RS 0w-40 pao
Halfords 5w-40 hydrocracked

Halfords oil is made by Esso currently and to a minimum spec/budget.

Cheers
Simon

a mate of mine told me that they guy at halfords said their own brand oil is made by castrol.
ive always put silkoline pro s in mine but its called motul now isnt it?

It really doesn't matter who makes it, it's made to a budget by the lowest bidder, so it's not as good as a proper Castrol oil. The basestock used and additive package are a lot more basic than the ones used in the proper Castrol oils. Another thing, the guy at Halfords isn't going to tell your mate that their own brand oil was made by some dodgy brand that you've never heard of.

Silkolene Pro S is now called Fuchs Titan Race Pro S, it's exactly the same stuff, but Fuchs own Silkolene and have got their name on it now. Motul is a completely seperate brand.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Hi oliman, what can it be say about additives such as Liqui Moly MoS2 and Ceratec? anygood? I am runniing royal purple 0w-40, is that as good as adverts say?

Hi oliman, what can it be say about additives such as Liqui Moly MoS2 and Ceratec? anygood? I am runniing royal purple 0w-40, is that as good as adverts say?

Hi

Those additives are a waste of money, most do nothing, others are harmful. We're not big fans of Royal Purple, the oils are generally okay, but hideously overpriced. We also had some chemically analysed and found high levels of sulphur. In an engine, the heat can cause the sulpur to produce acidic compounds, the last thing you want around the metals of your engine.

Cheers

Tim

that's b****cks for a start. Halfords oil is made by Comma.

Comma Motorsport and Halfords Motorsport oils are exactly the same thing

Not so sure about that, at the moment they are made by Castrol, according to what we've heard, but it really doesn't matter as the oil is just a basic one made as cheaply as possible to meet the requirements Halfords set. Even if Comma are making the Halfords stuff at the moment, I doubt it's the same as the Comma oil, simply as companies sell their best oils under their own name.

Cheers

Tim

Ph1
All this over expensive oil stuff is a load of bollox imo, well on anything thats not top end race spec.
Iv always used good quality oil from some of the brands mentioned in this thread and it didnt stop a bearing knackering up my bottom end. What was i really getting over the years for the extra wedge?

Fully synthetic on the right grade, job done

Fair enough, but what sort of synthetic? Cheap 'synthetics' aren't really synthetics, they are highly modified mineral oils. Yes they are better than semis etc, and fine for road use, but not as good as the top end stuff.

S'trollin on size 7s
i was goin to buy the castrol edge 5w-40 for mine but it said turbo diesel on it and it threw me. couldnt see anything on the back like mentioned on your site about ok for renaults..gutted, i ended up buying Carlube Triple R 5w-40 instead .it was only for a top up , ive had a service since that but the garage never said what oil they put in it? im concerned that chances are theyl cut on cost and put some cheap stuff in.
i wouldnt put it past them because when i asked if they would be using NGK plugs they said well put like for liek in ,ye but i want NGK can you get them, well if a platinum plug comes out well replace it with a platinum plug...blah blah i was gettin nowhere.

Just ordered 6L Motul 300v 5w40 from the oilman, ive been using halfords stuff and it seems to consume it at an alarming rate, so hopefully a good oil will sort it out.

Will this grade be ok in my Toyota Supra TT aswell? (just for a top up) (its BPU)

Most garages will save a couple of quid anywhere they can, not all, but most that I've dealt with. One problem is they often don't really understand like for like, Carlube 5w-40 is a pretty basic 5w-40, Castrol Edge is one of the better ones, just below the top end ester based oils, but all they see is synthetic 5w-40. Plugs come in all different qualities too, just have a look on Ebay, the proper NGK/Denso/Bosch ones are about 5 times more than the Chinese rip offs. Yes, a bit of it is paying for the name, but part of it is also paying for the metal (iridium/platinum/copper etc) used in the plug. All they have to do is use a thin layer of iridium and they can then sell it as an iridium plug. The decent iridium plugs will use a good thick layer of iridium so the plugs last a lot longer, spark better etc.

Ignore the name on oils where they call it a Diesel oil, they are fine to use in petrol engines too, they just put Diesel on the label to give customers with diesel cars confidence that the oil is suitable for diesel engines.

Just ordered 6L Motul 300v 5w40 from the oilman, ive been using halfords stuff and it seems to consume it at an alarming rate, so hopefully a good oil will sort it out.

Will this grade be ok in my Toyota Supra TT aswell? (just for a top up) (its BPU)

I would hope the 300V will sort out the consumption issues, it's a more stable oil than the Halfords stuff, so shouldn't burn off as quickly.

Yes, it's ideal for a Supra TT. 5w-40 is the best grade for them, even with BPU, it's only when they have big single turbos that you need a thicker oil.

Cheers

Tim

ITB'd MK1
Ignore the name on oils where they call it a Diesel oil, they are fine to use in petrol engines too, they just put Diesel on the label to give customers with diesel cars confidence that the oil is suitable for diesel engines.

I've used diesel oils in my cars for years when they've been the closest grade to what i need. I'va always been of the opinion that at worst there's some agents in there to help slow down carbon build up

Yes and no, there are additives in there to prevent carbon build up, but they are also in 'petrol' oils too. If you look on a can of oil, there will be an ACEA spec on the back, something like ACEA A3/B3. A refers to petrol specs, B refers to diesel and most of the time the numbers are likely to be the same for both, or very close, such as an A3/B4. I can't think of any oils that are A1/B5 or something like that. There are a couple of industrial oils for odd diesel engines that are diesel only, but they aren't for automotive engines, they are for specific generators and other random things.

ITB'd MK1
yeah, what i meant was, theres either more cleaning agents, or it's exactly the same.

I ALWAYS check any oil i use in anything for A3/B3 rating

Fred, is elf evolution sxr 5w-40 any good?

"It's not something we'd sell"

Care to give more details on this? i.e. do you not sell it due to a quality issue, or a margin issue?

I mention this as it's the standard oil for Clio 200's, so I would have thought it would be of sound quality for that engine, typical use and service intervals.

Having an uneducated look at the datasheet, it doesn't seem a million miles away from Mobil 1 (0w40), but can be had waay cheaper at ~ £25/5L..

Rich

The truth is, from what we've heard it's not very popular (except in RenaultSport Clios) and we've got other oils we consider better, plus limited space in the warehouse. There's no other oils we want from Elf and we wouldn't take on a brand just to sell one of their oils

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
The truth is, from what we've heard it's not very popular (except in RenaultSport Clios) and we've got other oils we consider better, plus limited space in the warehouse. There's no other oils we want from Elf and we wouldn't take on a brand just to sell one of their oils

Its OEM and thats good enough for me

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Elf is popular with (& promoted by) Renault as they have a contract to supply them with Oil.

This dates back, rather unsurprisingly to when Elf was owned by, yup, you guessed it. Renault.

Hence the link.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Just got some Comma Syner.g 5w40 for the 172. Changing it tomorrow. Ok for the job? Mainly road use but 2-3 trackdays a year

Last edited:

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
This I use shell Helix ultra...is that of cracked hydrocarbons aswell?

how would you notice the difference in day to day use?

oilman what kind of quality is the Shell 5W-40 fully synthetic ?

is it a proper synthetic ?

it doesnt seem as pricey as Silkolene but its more expensive than the 'cheap' synthetics

It's a group III (hydrocracked oil), although I think there is a small amount of PAO synthetic as well.

You shouldn't notice any real difference between that another group 3 or group 4 oil, but you might find the engine is a bit louder compared to a group 5 oil like the Pro S.

Cheers

Tim

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Since getting the Trophy i have always put the Elf 5W 40 in it as pictured below.

How do you rate the oil below and would you advise on changing it to something else ?

SXR_0020_5W40.gif

Lionel Richie
Marc - you'll probably know the cost price of it seeing as you're in the trade, would you trust it at that price?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Marc - you'll probably know the cost price of it seeing as you're in the trade, would you trust it at that price?

I dont trust any price i see fred.

I dont know what other oil to put in it as i was brought up on VAG oils with working there.

I am one for doing an oil change every 5/6 months, Would you advise i change and if so what too and how / where can i get it ?

Marc

Lionel Richie
any 5W40 just not stuff from Tescos! Motul or Pro S if you're rich, any known brand will be fine, elf's ok, just i know of 2 engine failures with elf (may or may not be related, but its a bit odd both were low milage 200's and the owners demanded to run on elf)

Suzuki Jimny
Just incase oilman see's this thread again, what's the best grade for a 2004 mx5? Everywhere suggests a different grade :/

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
any 5W40 just not stuff from Tescos! Motul or Pro S if you're rich, any known brand will be fine, elf's ok, just i know of 2 engine failures with elf (may or may not be related, but its a bit odd both were low milage 200's and the owners demanded to run on elf)

Im now bashing down to tesco to get some of there best 5w40 LOL

If a £50 bottle of oil is going to save a car then im all for it so im just away to google the two makes you have said fred.