ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oils for running in forged engine

hi lads

im needing a little help with my oils for running in my forged block

i have millers running in oil to start and millers 5-40 fully syn for once its finished, but cant seem to find 5-40 semi syn oil on opie oils for second stage of running in

It there another weight of oil i can use? if so what? hoping to get my order put over the weekend ready for the car beening built next week

Cheers Wayne

Twingo GT
yeah noticed its for diesels but was told to use running in oil then semi syn for 500 miles then fully syn after
Can't see it making a massive difference, it's more about the oils viscosity than the blend when it comes to protecting the engine, which the running in oil should do fine

Twingo GT
I'm not sure its my first engine ill be running in so want to make sure
Fully synthetic is infinitely better than semi, what might have been misinterpreted is that semi synthetic is thicker than fully synthetic, when it's actually the 10w-40 5w-40 ratings etc, can't see why you'd put semi in first, give the components the best protection out the box and go with fully synthetic :D

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Although mines a dci engine , I've ran mine and other cArs in on cheap mineral oil for 300 odd miles. Not had a problem.
£12 for 5L , I had two lots on my dci , one to run upto temp and flush all the assembly lube out and the second lot for running in

cheap stuff will be fine! That running in oil is bloody expensive stuff for what it is.

Just use cheap and nasty asda/tesco stuff.

What cheap semi syn? What weight tho?

Although mines a dci engine , I've ran mine and other cArs in on cheap mineral oil for 300 odd miles. Not had a problem.
£12 for 5L , I had two lots on my dci , one to run upto temp and flush all the assembly lube out and the second lot for running in

cheap stuff will be fine! That running in oil is bloody expensive stuff for what it is.

I've already got my running in oil it's the second a lot of running in I'm needing

Cheap mineral oil first. Any brand, cheaper the better.

Then drop it out and put some fully synthetic in. It will be fine.

dan's cast offs.
cant understand how cheaper is better?

im wanting to do it correct as im no having to spent more money on an engine if it goes wrong for the sake of £40 in oil

use £40 oil and it will go wrong;)

you need an oil without loads of additives etc as you need the rings/bores to bed in. quality slippy oils stop this happening and you can end up with glazed bores.

this is worth a quick read...http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited:
And why spend £40 on oil that you'll drop after 20 miles?

I'd sooner spend £40 on 4Lots of oil, and change it:
First start/run up to temp.
After 25 miles
After 100 miles
After 500 miles

Then fill with your decent oil.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
OP, Surely you'd be better off asking the person that's building the engine??

And why spend £40 on oil that you'll drop after 20 miles?

I'd sooner spend £40 on 4Lots of oil, and change it:
First start/run up to temp.
After 25 miles
After 100 miles
After 500 miles

Then fill with your decent oil.

i am with dan on this one, cheap and nasty and change regular

i will be running gash oil for first start ups, checking it all works ect

change before mapping, then drive back home 100 -250 miles

then a change to the best i can afford

why are you not face down in sick dan? happy birthday :drunk:

i am with dan on this one, cheap and nasty and change regular

i will be running gash oil for first start ups, checking it all works ect

change before mapping, then drive back home 100 -250 miles

then a change to the best i can afford

why are you not face down in sick dan? happy birthday :drunk:

Haha, thanks mate!

I'm tea total ;) however the future brother-Inlaw managed to do exactly that. Then Decided to act up. Except he made the **** up of doing it when the house was occupied by a few ex-para's. Safe to say he was put back in his place.

Ph2 172
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always understood that increased friction (ie s**t oil from tesco) is what you want for a few hundred miles to run the engine in?