ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One lady owner slight damage Clio mk3

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Afpmsl! How did I miss this!

So you will happily sell this car as straight because it hasn't been recorded?

If that's your way of thinking you shouldn't be allowed to repair cars.

Selling rolled cars are bad enough but to not tell a new owner is a poor show just to make £500 quid.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and it's a MK2.

Thank god you're not repairing my car.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if its all mech sound and looks spot on whats the issue???^

because they are rarely strcuturally sound after being rolled.
once a cars been crashed once, everything weekens

personally id only do this if there was at least a £500 saving to be made,
if hes getting the parts cheap enough to make a sizable saving, then good on him.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
I dont really see the problem with it tbh.

If he owned a bodyshop then he 'should' know how to check the car for structural integrity, he knew what he was getting into when he bought it and he can do the necessary work.

Lets assume he checked the car and its structurally sound, i have seen worse panels than that rear wing be pulled back to straight, i bet a good panelbeater could get that back to within a couple of mm all over requiring only minimal filler.

His time is his own and he said hes doing the car for himself as a runaround, if he only buys a used door, wings and a couple of other bits and blags time in a booth off contacts then i bet he can put that car back on the road for 1000 all told. If he runs it for 6 months it will be a great saving and in that time he will know if its sound or not.

If its not i only hope he has the conscience to sell it as such.

The selling on is the only debatable bit, other to that good luck and keep us updated.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
does a body shop check structural integrity? im genuinly not sure lol.

if its just a run about to be as cheap as possible, why straighten all the pannel?

imho once fixed that car will not be worth much more than £1000 (considering the amount of filler it will have, and the fact that it has been rolled).

i dont have a problem with him doing it, i just think it would have been more productive to purchase a DCI clio in average condition for bascially the same price.

if it were a rolled ph1 172, v6 or trophy, i would understand, but its not.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
I agree with your reasoning but forgetting what its worth if he keeps it he has bought a 2k car for 1k, surely a bargain.

If a bodyshop received a car in that condition for repair then they would have to check it through with a view to putting it back on the road, any problem areas would be jigged etc.

Im not saying its always the right thing to do but im sure he will have checked it and weighed that up when buying, he could have found many cars in that condition i expect thats the one which in his opinion offered the best repair for least cost.

Fair play to him.

If he was joe public without any knowledge sending the car away for repairs hoping to make a profit, obviously it would be a waste of time.

But if he has the skills, the contacts, and only has to put minimal money into it, then whats the issue.

He never mentioned anything about taking it on to compete with wheeler dealers and sell it for a profit in a months time.

In all fairness its a project. I bought an old 5 series in a rough state and tinkered with it. Didn't do it to make a huge profit, was something to do in my spare time. I could have paid double and bought one mint, but where is the fun in that if its a runaround anyway.

Probably just likes a challenge and to show the 'haterz' what can be done and see the results.

Clio mk3 1.5td,Scooby,206
Maybe i should clear up the 'rolled' part. The car went through a hedge and as it slid to a stop fell side on into a drainage ditch but only caught the very edges of the roof.
I drove this car back 65 miles on trade plates with no problems at all. Ok so it had a couple of steel wheels on it and one headlight taped up so raised a few brows but was fine.
I checked a few salvage cars before buying this one and after double checking the floor,inner wing seams and running gear i was happy enough to drive it. The girl that crashed it had her fella drag it back on to the road with hit landy and she drove it home so hence not recorded.car has long tax and test.
While at the workshop i will get it on my mates laser align jig but don't expect any problems.

I must say that this thread has turned from a project thread into me being some sort of low life trader selling unsafe cars lol.

Last of all if price is such a big deal then this is the score-

Car-£450
All panels in right colour-bonnet,wings and door £100
Seat belts- free
Airbag - free
Grill & plastics £20
Rear quarter repair approx £40 for paint
My time ??? doing it when kids are in bed so no big deal.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with your reasoning but forgetting what its worth if he keeps it he has bought a 2k car for 1k, surely a bargain.

If a bodyshop received a car in that condition for repair then they would have to check it through with a view to putting it back on the road, any problem areas would be jigged etc.

Im not saying its always the right thing to do but im sure he will have checked it and weighed that up when buying, he could have found many cars in that condition i expect thats the one which in his opinion offered the best repair for least cost.
Just for your information a bodyshop would estimate for a bodyshell.

No real bodyshop would want to start repairing a rolled car for a customer.

No end of problems around the corner.

LY R26
i dont see the issue here, hes bought it as a run around and hes going to sell on, hes in the trade and getting all the parts cheap.

i have no doubt that the work will be carried out properly or he wouldnt drive it or let his kids in it either!

good progress so far, look forward to seeing how this plans out, good work :)

darren

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good work I say, everyone worry about structural this and that, not being funny, but people still drive old mini's etc, so a clio that's had a knock isn't going to be any worse.

With that attitude everyone should be driving the biggest volvo they can afford.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
Just for your information a bodyshop would estimate for a bodyshell.

No real bodyshop would want to start repairing a rolled car for a customer.

No end of problems around the corner.

The lad who does my bodywork on my mini is a jig operator at a very large blackpool bodyshop who are BMW and numerous insurance company approved and they will do whatever the customer is prepared to pay for as long as they are happy with it.

For insurance purposes you are no doubt correct, they would as you said do a bodyshell and it would be a right off as its not economical. But i saw a rich woman bring in a 206 in similar condition saying she wanted it fixed as she had it from new and didnt want to part with it, they fixed it just like pjs is doing as she was paying cash. That car also had to pass an SVA or whatever the relevant test is as it had been bought back from insurance.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When I said customer I meant policyholder ie insurance claim.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
Oh god yeah, insurance, no chance!!

Tbh i was amazed what some people pay privately to get fixed and what a bodyshop will take on, they had an early freelander in which they were jigging and replacing the entire front end, chassis rails and all. They were confident they had the jig data and weld positions for factory spec and it would be just as strong

GTD, Lupo
Surely beat the rear quarter then use one of the big hot rod things to shrink the metal and you will only need a very small amount of filler. Good luck op I think it will be ok.

Paul

Yes thats pretty much the idea but i only use them on vans where they have dented outwards with stuff hitting the inside. The idea is to heat the metal then cool it super quick so the metal goes back to its memory shape. This won't work 100% due to the metal stretching but will help get it near enough for mild filling.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
if that was mine and i was repairing to sell on, i wouldnt tell suspecting buyers no way, if the repairs are good and it looks good, why loose out on £££££

05 Clio 182
good luck - will be good for you to say "told you so " when you have finished it :)

got a grill here if you need it - std

i dont think people know what a project means tbh, yes he could have gone out and bought a run around for cheaper but then thats not a project is it! hes bought a car that he wants to spend some time on repairing. i would do the same if i was able to
hats off to the man i say and lets have frequent updates :D

Small update as not been on here since the forum went down.

I managed to get both wings in the right colour and have rebuilt the front end, so the car is drivable.
Rear quarter is now smooth and is in the shop getting its base coat and lacquer, next up will be the roof which is a pretty easy job.