ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

opinion on best performance clio to modify.

puma & primera
New to forum, intend buying a clio of some version, so seemed a good place to ask.On paper the 172 cup seems the best in terms that its the lightest, & would make a good basis to tune.If Im missing something or theres a better basic vehicle to start with let me know.Im assuming that you can uprate the stock 172 engine to a similar output for a given spec.as any of the other more powerfull versions.

They're all a nightmare to 'tune'

Unless you're spending mega bucks. But a Cup is a good start as it's cheap and light.

puma & primera
Should have been a bit more specific with my first post, if you recommend something, bear in mind I have no experience with clio's, so I'd like to know why you've made the recommendation.

They're a nightmare because you spend a lot of money for very little gain.

Depends how much you're intending to spend and how serious you are.

Throttle bodies is probably the best plan per pound.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Cup. Lighter = better. Not having aircon/climate control means you don't lose the 7 or so hp required to run it, cambelt is cheaper too. Plus, afaik, buying a cup makes you more manly than those homos with their abs.

They're a nightmare to tune because you have to spend a lot of money to get any substantial gains. JMS inlet is the cheapest way to get decent power and they're ~ £1500 iirc.

275 Trophy
No good results with the usual cam & head mods then?

Depends how much you're willing to spend, but chasing power with these engines gets very expensive very quickly. Would be better to buy a more powerful car to begin with tbh.

Stripped yozza'd cup
No good results with the usual cam & head mods then?

I believe Dave saw 190hp with cams? Head work is difficult on these... I'm going to have a go myself in a couple of weeks, just to see what is possible. It's by no means common though.

210hp is doable with ITB's and cams.

The cup is the lightest yeah, 89kg lighter.

clio 182
As above really, they are expensive to tune for big gains. That is the reason you get alot of stripped out, light as a feather clio's these days for the track, loosing weight is free power essentially!

The F4r engine (they are the same block in all 172's and 182's) does not respond the same as engines like the vauxhall redtop, im led to believe this is because it is the old 1.8 litre engines from the MK1 clios bored out, so they are already pretty 'tuned' from the factory.

Put it this way, if you want 210-220 bhp be prepared to spend around 5k with a variety of new and second parts.

hope this helps

Clio Williams & 182
The F4R is not a bored out F7P engine, and neither is the 2.0L F7R engine. The F4R is a different engine, just with a similarities to a couple of the F7R variants.

If you know what you are doing, a stripped Mk1 Clio Valver with an F4R engine conversion is quite a good way to go. Power to weight is key.

Tbh, if you want a modded fast Clio, just buy someone else's. All the hard works been done for you.

As above really, they are expensive to tune for big gains. That is the reason you get alot of stripped out, light as a feather clio's these days for the track, loosing weight is free power essentially!

The F4r engine (they are the same block in all 172's and 182's) does not respond the same as engines like the vauxhall redtop, im led to believe this is because it is the old 1.8 litre engines from the MK1 clios bored out, so they are already pretty 'tuned' from the factory.

Put it this way, if you want 210-220 bhp be prepared to spend around 5k with a variety of new and second parts.

hope this helps

puma & primera
Was looking through the cars for sale section, someone got a bargin ,a 256bhp supercharged 172 cup with everthing sorted , just over 5k.

clio 182
The F4R is not a bored out F7P engine, and neither is the 2.0L F7R engine. The F4R is a different engine, just with a similarities to a couple of the F7R variants.

If you know what you are doing, a stripped Mk1 Clio Valver with an F4R engine conversion is quite a good way to go. Power to weight is key.

Tbh, if you want a modded fast Clio, just buy someone else's. All the hard works been done for you.

My bad, i thought it was, and have thought that for years!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For 2k i'd buy a tidy PH1 and I used to hate them.

But i'd rather a tidy ph1 than a poor PH2. Stretch the budget and buy a cup possibly.

Ph1 is a better drive than a 172(ff). Imo.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Was looking through the cars for sale section, someone got a bargin ,a 256bhp supercharged 172 cup with everthing sorted , just over 5k.

I'm pretty sure it didn't sell so he decided to keep it. But, that perfectly demonstrates why modding clio's is a terrible plan. It probably cost him £10,000. It's only worth doing serious work to it if you plan on keeping it / have too much money and are bored IMO

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Ph1 is the best to drive and hardcore

This is my biased opinion as I own one

but for 2k I think a ph1 is your best option

Clio Williams & 182
Ph1 172 is a good way to go. Can get Williams's for that money but you will spend the same again usually getting them reliable.

My N/A Williams is at 222+ bhp now but I know I would never get back the money I've spent if I sold it, so I am just enjoying it and will keep.

puma & primera
I can see where your coming from, but to a point condition ,unusual as this may sound, isn't a key purchase critia.Ive always bought dogs, I dont do one owner, clean,low mileage etc. Its cheap & as much bang for your buck that sell it.
172(ff)?? no idea what that means.

puma & primera
you'd buy a phase 1 rather than a poor condition 172 cup thats what you said, but you were joking?
Advise like that I can actually do without fella.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you really want an RS, get a ph1 172 and then get matched inlets, s/s exhaust and a cotton filter for the standard box if you want to 'tune' it.

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car in the first place...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols, it's advice but anyway.

What I said was i'd rather have a tidy ph1 than a poor ph2(ff).

I'd rather have a cup though than either of former suggestions. But that's more money if you want something that won't fall apart or isn't a heap!

What kind of Puma do you own?

Stripped yozza'd cup
Ph1 is the best to drive and hardcore

This is my biased opinion as I own one

but for 2k I think a ph1 is your best option

A phase 1 isn't 'hardcore'. A cable throttle doesn't make a car automatically hardcore.

I do agree though, that for £2k, I'd be looking for a ph1. If you could stretch to £2.5k then you're in the running for a nice cup.

puma & primera
The puma's currently off road with a snapped rod. Id just fitted coilovers, 16's with 40 series conti's and was about to start some head & cam mods.So now the bic(use once disposable) 1.7engine is getting weighted in ,and a 2.2vetec H22 is going in its place(if it'll fit)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. The duratec engine is also a favourite and bit more widely available.

puma & primera
I just find the phase 1 proper ugly,so it aint in the running.And as I said earlier,it seems pointless getting a nice example,it'll only get mullered anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just buy an old Subaru. Rusty and quick?

I'm guesisng that is what you're looking for?

Stripped yozza'd cup
About £2.3k will buy you something mechanically sound but not pristine.

If you don't like the ph1 then it definitely has to be the cup. Get looking! There's all the guides you could ever need on here.

puma & primera
ref: subaru.Yeah but who wants to drive about in something that sounds like an old air cooled vw camper?They sound like they've about 3 cylinders,& a misfire

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Ph1s are much better than ph2 cups if you intend to drive hard!!
cable throttle makes the car much more responsive, and its overall a quicker because its light.
plus imo, i think they look more hardcore.

Best thing to do with a cliosport is just completely strip it out, uprate the suspension and do some basic breathing mods.
do that and youll have a lot of fun with the car.

if you want to go chasing big power, then buy a different car.