ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on Tinted Windows!

RB & LY 182
Hi,
Ive just got the windows tinted all round apart from windscreen obviously. I didnt go for the "limo" black i went for the more classier smoked look.
Im just curious to know what peoples opinions are on tints.
Either you just don't like them or you love them also bad experiences you may have had, e.g bad job or trouble from the law etc.
My opinion is they look great on my RB 182 with dark anthrocite alloys.
I will show you the pictures in approx 2 days as havnt got tym at mo.

thanx steven

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Look crap on RB, i am trying to remove mine atm.

Bought a plastic scraper today hoping i can start it off properly tomorrow.

Ph 1 172
depending on what car and the quality of them then i dont mind them at all i have them on my car (it came like it from bloke i bought it off of) i have never had any trouble with the police or anything else. the only things that piss me off is that at night the limo tint at the rear is a barstard to reverse out of anywhere and people straight away think your a boy racer so they sit about 2" off your rear bumper. also you cant give people the middle finger who are sitting behind you as thy cant see your finger lol

RB & LY 182
wot u doing that for that will ruin the glass why dont u just use a hairdryer then just peel it back. easy job done!
was the tint alredy in wen ya got the car???

RB & LY 182
depending on what car and the quality of them then i dont mind them at all i have them on my car (it came like it from bloke i bought it off of) i have never had any trouble with the police or anything else. the only things that piss me off is that at night the limo tint at the rear is a barstard to reverse out of anywhere and people straight away think your a boy racer so they sit about 2" off your rear bumper. also you cant give people the middle finger who are sitting behind you as thy cant see your finger lol

haha yeah all very true. yeah well its a really good job my mates is a graphix designer he makes road signs for the dvla so hes pretty good with this sort of stuff.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
theres ways and means round it they cant force you to do it also they cant touch is as thats criminal damage.

Surely they could impound it?

wot u doing that for that will ruin the glass why dont u just use a hairdryer then just peel it back. easy job done!
was the tint alredy in wen ya got the car???

I will be using a hairdryer, just i am struggling to get it started in the corner. Tried a blade from a stanley but couldn't get it to work, so got a plastic scraper so i don't damage the glass. Used a similar one to remove vinyls from glass before but lost it.

The tints i have look very professionally done, no air caught in the black dot bits of the glass like some of my mates have.

Yes were on it when i got it.

EDIT: Thread with my tint in: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=462313

RB & LY 182
Surely they could impound it?

yeah they will hav the power to do that but as long as u promise to take it off they let u go with the windows down ive done it b4 wen i was in my brothers black 182. mind u his were limo black all the way round.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
they can look good if proper tints, not keen on the film stuff.
Agree with this.

My dad has a Honda estate family wagon, and the tinted rears look really good and you can see out of them at night but not in.

Factory fit FTW

CLIO PH1 172
got dark tints on all the windows of my mk1 5dr i think it looks ok thae cars xures grey th front are nearly limo black u can just see in them, had them on about 2/ nearly 3 yrs and never been stopped for them?

RB & LY 182
got dark tints on all the windows of my mk1 5dr i think it looks ok thae cars xures grey th front are nearly limo black u can just see in them, had them on about 2/ nearly 3 yrs and never been stopped for them?

lucky really then. good stuff

Fabia vrs tdi
dont tint you RB 182, seen jenics tinted RB182 looks shiiiite

i considered it but no way am i going to do it now

ph1 track weapon
Not a huge fan of tints, especially on a sporty car like a 172. work well on saloons and big cars, but not on hatchbacks

ed

Fabia vrs tdi
well u think so too dont you lol

male or femal jenic ? i read somethin on another thread some guy asking why u wont rape him or somethin of the sort

RB & LY 182
well i think it looks gr8 on my RB 182.
al put pics on c if i can change allot of ur minds.
think theres more not liking them at the mo.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
The main reason i don't like them is the fact so many c***s (yes, you are one) get them on the front, knowingly breaking the law.

If it was daft and had no effect then i wouldn't mind, but when it causes a hazard its an issue. You cannot see what people are doing through those tints, thats the entire point of them being illegal.

For example, your waiting to pull out onto the main road and i'm approaching on the main road, i can't see if your looking my way, i can't anticipate if you might not of seen me and pull out infront of me. I can't see if your letting me out into the flow of traffic, i can't see if your raping a child on your gear stick.

They're not just illegal for fun you know.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
The main reason i don't like them is the fact so many c**ks (yes, you are one) get them on the front, knowingly breaking the law.

If it was daft and had no effect then i wouldn't mind, but when it causes a hazard its an issue. You cannot see what people are doing through those tints, thats the entire point of them being illegal.

For example, your waiting to pull out onto the main road and i'm approaching on the main road, i can't see if your looking my way, i can't anticipate if you might not of seen me and pull out infront of me. I can't see if your letting me out into the flow of traffic, i can't see if your raping a child on your gear stick.

They're not just illegal for fun you know.

Yawn! Should you need to see what the other person is doing? No! Give over.

RB & LY 182
i respect your opinion but don't call me a c**k on an internet forum thats just rude.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
You've never been let into traffic by someone giving you a hand signal?

You give over tbh.

Yes I have, And I do give hand signals to people, to let people out, but never through my side windows, otherwise, obviously they'd come into the side of me. I give hand signals through my windscreen?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
hand signals inside the car are not in the highway code so y should people cater for them.

Neither is flashing lights to let people out. You've never pulled out when someones flashed to let you have you?

There is alot of unwritten rules of the road that we all follow, this being one of them. The simple reason for these not being in the highway code is so that if you pull out infront of someone you can't say "well he flashed to let me go".

The others still stand, tints hide all sorts in the car, police can't inspect the vehicle, it restricts your own vision especially at night its like driving round with dark sunglasses on.

I understand people see tints as security etc, but at the end of the day, they are illegal, your knowingly breaking the law, and the police can personally take them out despite what you seem to believe. Go and read around on the pistonheads "plod and the law" forum and you'll see about it on there, people have had spot checks done by the police and there tints removed there and then after the machine has shown them to be illegal.

You'll get a £30 for the first time your caught, if you go and do it again, or don't take them out, and they have you on file, your looking at a much bigger fine the next time round.

RB & LY 182
Neither is flashing lights to let people out. You've never pulled out when someones flashed to let you have you?

There is alot of unwritten rules of the road that we all follow, this being one of them. The simple reason for these not being in the highway code is so that if you pull out infront of someone you can't say "well he flashed to let me go".

The others still stand, tints hide all sorts in the car, police can't inspect the vehicle, it restricts your own vision especially at night its like driving round with dark sunglasses on.

I understand people see tints as security etc, but at the end of the day, they are illegal, your knowingly breaking the law, and the police can personally take them out despite what you seem to believe. Go and read around on the pistonheads "plod and the law" forum and you'll see about it on there, people have had spot checks done by the police and there tints removed there and then after the machine has shown them to be illegal.

You'll get a £30 for the first time your caught, if you go and do it again, or don't take them out, and they have you on file, your looking at a much bigger fine the next time round.

if a police officer removes tint from your car without your permishion its criminal damage and you can get them done. i know this after extensive talks with my solicitor.
but u are rite about the fine and being on file thats wen it gets tricky.
jst the risk people take but cant see y u need to look at wot people are doing in there car stop being nosey

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
You've had extensive talks with your solicitor about window tints?! Well don't argue with me about it, i'm only passing on what i read on pistonheads about people who had their tints removed.

I'm not the person who would want to look in your car, i'm on about the police. If your driving around with tints to hide yourself that makes it look like you have something to hide and could hinder an investigation if they are looking for a suspect.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Suits different cars IMO. I'm not a fan of limo black generally but my dad has it on his last estate, limo black on the rear window, and on the side windows nearest the back of the car. There were four sections of glass, each getting progressively darker towards the rear, looked good as it kind of a faded effect so didn't look chavvy at all.

theres ways and means round it they cant force you to do it also they cant touch is as thats criminal damage.

My dad go stopped, told him 10 days to remove tints on front windows, they were barely that dark and could easily see in. That tint let in about 75% light iirc. After removing and getting retested, turns out the factory glass was just within the legal allowance.

Never heard of people being told to removed there and then. That's crazy!

Think the law about tinting is more to do about you not being able to see OUT rather than people cannot see IN.

ds3
Suits different cars IMO. I'm not a fan of limo black generally but my dad has it on his last estate, limo black on the rear window, and on the side windows nearest the back of the car. There were four sections of glass, each getting progressively darker towards the rear, looked good as it kind of a faded effect so didn't look chavvy at all.

My dad go stopped, told him 10 days to remove tints on front windows, they were barely that dark and could easily see in. That tint let in about 75% light iirc. After removing and getting retested, turns out the factory glass was just within the legal allowance.

Never heard of people being told to removed there and then. That's crazy!

Think the law about tinting is more to do about you not being able to see OUT rather than people cannot see IN.
the popo love to rip out window tints and are too dark, if they're the film kind. they did it alot here for a while.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
the popo love to rip out window tints and are too dark, if they're the film kind. they did it alot here for a while.

That's mad to get you to do it there and then. If it was a good job, you shouldn't be able to pick at it anyway. My dad had to get the company that fitted them to remove them!