ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

Rav4
I installed Lion yesterday after messing around for ages.

Seems nice, some quirky things that I will figure out.

Unfortunately it doesn't support my freecom password protected drive, so I can't restore my data yet without messing around with another machine :(

Mail is weird, need to work that out. I also think that things like the loading bar and so on, has gone very Linux in regards to the styling.

Nice though.

chumpmobile
i wont be able to make use of the gestures because of my 1000000 year old macbook pro :(

still worth it?

Hmm is Omnibar for Safari being weird for anyone else?

Every now and again, when I open Safari - I have the usual address bar and search bar at the top, instead of the long single one. Doesn't show up in extensions and have to reinstall it.

Odd.

Last edited:
  A silver one
Lion is awesome.
My 27" iMac was delivered today and I am just speechless when using it!! Love it!

Was it delivered with Lion installed? I ordered a 15" MBP yesterday, but was told they couldn't guarantee it would ship with Lion.

E39 530i
Im still on leopard. Apple are saying they don't stock snow leopard in stores, and I have to buy it from them online. I refuse. Hate having to wait for something.

Ibiza FR
Was it delivered with Lion installed? I ordered a 15" MBP yesterday, but was told they couldn't guarantee it would ship with Lion.

No but the first thing I did when I booted it it up and did the first lot of updates is upgrade.

I got the trackpad and a mouse with mine, to switch between the 2 and see which I prefer, and the gestures on the trackpad are too good to miss out on!

Ibiza FR
I would say its more than worth it for £20, it will obviously get better with time as they fix more of the bugs that people seem to be coming across.

It's brilliant. The multiple desktops alone are worth £20. So much easier to organise your work and windows. Launchpad is brilliant. Safari is massively better. The gestures are even better than before. Everything is better.

Euge is just angry because it took him three weeks to discover how to set his default Finder folder. Which was actually an identical process to how it was done pre-Lion.

I never really got on with spaces. Maybe it was just me. I confess that I didn't really bother with it too much, so I can't comment on the comparison overall.

I do know that Mission Control, and the way it handles multiple desktops, is brilliant. I find myself using it a lot, and the gestures make it pretty seamless and natural when you know them. Lion is a very worthwhile improvement over Snow Leapord, and it's definitely worth £20.

IMO it's a bigger improvement, both in terms of productivity and features, than Windows 7 was over Windows Vista, and have you seen Windows 7 available for £20? Nein.

Love you Steve! -xxx-

Inferno 182 CUP
Its got so many cool features!

Some really crap ones but for £21 you'd be stupid not to upgrade! HUGE improvement .. love it steve

Right, there's something annoying me now. Not necessarily Lion related though.

How do I get a folder to open the same size every time I open it?

For example......I have an icon for my storage HD on my desktop. When I open it, the window is really small. So when I'm browsing photos or videos, it's a pain in the ass and I have to resize it EVERY time.

How do I get it to open bigger every time? (if that makes sense)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Don't you just open the window, resize it to how you want. Then close finder.

Should set it to its previous state?

Did that, but after a restart it goes back to the original size. And quite a lot of times WITHOUT a restart it will go back to the smaller size too.

And then you'll open another finder afterwards to look for a normal file and it opens at a massive size.

I can't work it out either mate.

Oil Burner
I've been using Lion on my MBP and iMac since launch and frankly I think its the worst apple product I've used.

A few issues i've noticed incase I'm being stupid and people can resolve them:

iMac drops wifi connection when waking up, also often won't wake up first time (100% lion issue, SL was fine)

If you use two screens on and off (i use a tv screen for 2nd monitor) then the new launchpad/lack of spaces view doesn't allow you to drag windows off the inactive screen - as it only shows the windows for the screen your looking at. (this makes more sense if you have tried it with 2 screens)

The launchpad view is rubbish, you can't see whats open on it (say your running 3 different safari instances on 3 different spaces), you can't see which is which, they are just too small.

Launchpad doesn't seem to allow you to drag and drop content like spaces used to (but this seems hit and miss depending on program)

Safari is even more glitchy. If i go back too fast it reverts to the historic view of the page as used in the 'top sites' view. The reading list also loves to mess around. And i swear the rainbow wheels of death is on more than its not.

Share screens seems to of vanished. Or is at least harder to find.

Air drop refuses to work on the iMac

The new finder style is a bit annoying although has grown on me.

The MBP definitely spends more time running the fan with this OS.

I'm certain there are other issues, but thats all i can think of at the moment. Lets hope they pull their finger out for the first update. Otherwise i can see myself switching back to SL.

Rav4
I've been using Lion on my MBP and iMac since launch and frankly I think its the worst apple product I've used.

A few issues i've noticed incase I'm being stupid and people can resolve them:

iMac drops wifi connection when waking up, also often won't wake up first time (100% lion issue, SL was fine)

If you use two screens on and off (i use a tv screen for 2nd monitor) then the new launchpad/lack of spaces view doesn't allow you to drag windows off the inactive screen - as it only shows the windows for the screen your looking at. (this makes more sense if you have tried it with 2 screens)

The launchpad view is rubbish, you can't see whats open on it (say your running 3 different safari instances on 3 different spaces), you can't see which is which, they are just too small.

Launchpad doesn't seem to allow you to drag and drop content like spaces used to (but this seems hit and miss depending on program)

Safari is even more glitchy. If i go back too fast it reverts to the historic view of the page as used in the 'top sites' view. The reading list also loves to mess around. And i swear the rainbow wheels of death is on more than its not.

Share screens seems to of vanished. Or is at least harder to find.

Air drop refuses to work on the iMac

The new finder style is a bit annoying although has grown on me.

The MBP definitely spends more time running the fan with this OS.

I'm certain there are other issues, but thats all i can think of at the moment. Lets hope they pull their finger out for the first update. Otherwise i can see myself switching back to SL.

A lot of these issues will get resolved, they are bugs.

Try hyperdock for instances, instead of launchpad, might help you more on that.

It's not a crap OS, that is quite harsh, but yes, there are bugs and some problems with it, but they will all be ironed out just as they were with SL.

SL had issues with connectivity when it first came out, that was sorted. Also had issues with battery life on laptops, that was sorted too.

Have faith

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
How old is your iMac? AirDrop requires hardware support for "wake on wifi"?

You can make spaces behave like it did before in preferences. I prefer the new spaces, so much so that I actually use it, I never used spaces before apart from accidentally.

Oil Burner
I have faith guys, i just wish they had ironed out more of the issues first. To my mind SL was much more sorted when it launched.

What preferences can i change to make my spaces show both screens in the preview?

My iMac is an 07/08 model. Not sure if that means it qualifies?

Cheers!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I was thinking about the arrangement.

I think mission control in Lion is far superior to spaces, but I can understand that it's "different' to SL. When you're in Mission Control, you can use the three finger swipe to show the different spaces "expose" view. When you move your cursor towards the top right, a "+" occurs which allows you to create a new space. You can drag and drop windows from any "desktop space" (not a fullscreen) to any other desktop space.

I love fullscreen spaces in Lion, they're super handy for running Xcode, makes it actually possible to develop code on.

AirDrop requires hardware support to work, unless your iMac is a late 2008 model then it won't have the relevant support to make it work.

MKV R32
I think lion is a load of tosh.

The multiple desktops is a nice feature though.

They have ruined gestures. Trackpad now acts like a cheap windows laptop when trying to expose windows or go to launch control. The new iphone style side scrollbars are glitchy as f**k on every program. Finder is absolutely w**k.

And why have they made all the buttons so small, iMail's WYSIWYG editor is tiny!

Oil Burner
I was thinking about the arrangement.

I think mission control in Lion is far superior to spaces, but I can understand that it's "different' to SL. When you're in Mission Control, you can use the three finger swipe to show the different spaces "expose" view. When you move your cursor towards the top right, a "+" occurs which allows you to create a new space. You can drag and drop windows from any "desktop space" (not a fullscreen) to any other desktop space.

I love fullscreen spaces in Lion, they're super handy for running Xcode, makes it actually possible to develop code on.

AirDrop requires hardware support to work, unless your iMac is a late 2008 model then it won't have the relevant support to make it work.

This i am aware of, but its doesn't solve the issue or offer a direct replacement for the old spaces view unfortunately.

If i have say a Safari window open on my 2nd screen, then i turn off my second screen or use it for something else, i need to drag this window back onto the main screen. On the spaces view the main screen would display x number of spaces showing the entire desktop space. Like so http://www.flickr.com/photos/bamcat/230382317/ (although i would never use so many spaces)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
They have ruined gestures. Trackpad now acts like a cheap windows laptop when trying to expose windows or go to launch control.

Eh? No idea what you're talking about there. The new gestures are in addition to the two fingered scrolling and make common things fast to access. Can you be more specific as to why you don't like them?

The new iphone style side scrollbars are glitchy as f**k on every program.

Pass.

Are you referring to "using" the scrollbar or it "drawing" when you talk about glitches.

I personally haven't used a scrollbar in Mac OS for a very long time, two fingered "in position" scroll for me....

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Ok - so I've been able to locate the missing files which has made me very happy. I've just reinstalled Lion (after some playing around in Terminal to force the time machine to backup again ..) and it's soooo much quicker now.

You know what I love?

Browsing the net in full screen safari, then with a swift three finger swipe, sliding to the next open app - as if safari is a space or desktop.

I love that I do.

The wallpapers are awful. It's almost like they forget they make a big screen.

The elephant looks good though. I just pretend I have OSX Tusks.