ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

Re: Lion to be released this evening?

If I buy an iPad, will iCloud allow me to auto sync between MBP, iPhone and iPad? Choosing which bits to sync and not sync etc?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

If I buy an iPad, will iCloud allow me to auto sync between MBP, iPhone and iPad? Choosing which bits to sync and not sync etc?

Only when ISO5 is released. That an assumption. 2nd week in September at a guess

Ah yes of course. Thank you. I'm only really bothered about having my iPhone and iPad mirrored. The MBP not so much, apart from contacts obviously.

No idea what speed I'm getting, but the progress bar is at about 60% already so that's good enough.

Whats a good speed for Revels Inc? I get about 4mb at home but at work its pretty poo...Can it be paused and resumed from home?

It was probably about 1.5mb. Not very fast but better than I'm used to normally.

Doesn't really matter as I'm back at work now. So it'll be done when I get home.

Yeah, don't see why you can't pause it and carry on at home.

57 Clio Campus Sport

where does it tell you time remaining? :S

In the purchased tab on app store. Doesn't tell you speed like iTunes which is a bit annoying.

@Roy you must have blooming quick Internet. Like 1.5gb in 10 mins lol.

20mb advertised but I only normally get around 12-15 these days unless it's 04:00 on a Monday morning.

Lion is installing now. 28 minutes to go. C'maaaan. C'MAAAN!

EDIT: Also love how you can buy it on one mac, then download it for free on another one. Apple FTW. Although as they manufacture the machines, I suppose they have less to lose than Microsoft.

Go cry to your momma!
Wheyy :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311168972.350492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311168972.350492.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 53

Are people backing up with TM before installing or just going ahead with the upgrade?

57 Clio Campus Sport

Don't have time machine but backed up to external. Took about 4 hours this morning and finished just before Lion was released. Still got 40 mins of download left :(

FYI it seems a lot slower downloading it onto my 13".

Get it while you can before the servers esplode!

Don't have time machine but backed up to external. Took about 4 hours this morning and finished just before Lion was released. Still got 40 mins of download left :(

You don't have Time Machine? It's part of OSX. You don't need a Time Capsule. You can tell TM to use any external disc so long as it (or a partition on it) is formatted for Mac OSX Journaled. Works brilliantly. Do it.

Last edited:

FYI it seems a lot slower downloading it onto my 13".

Get it while you can before the servers esplode!

I should have done it on my mini at the same time. Failz0rz.

Peak time and when America has woken up is going to SUCK!

57 Clio Campus Sport

You don't have Time Machine? It's part of OSX. You don't need a Time Capsule. You can tell TM to use any external disc so long as it (or a partition on it) is formatted for Mac OSX Journaled. Works brilliantly. Do it.

Ah right I tried using it and wouldn't show my external so thought you had to have the capsule. Maybe I will make a OSXJ partition on my external and do that once I've got Lion running. Is it much quicker? I'm guessing it means just backing up the updates and not the whole thing.

Ah right I tried using it and wouldn't show my external so thought you had to have the capsule. Maybe I will make a OSXJ partition on my external and do that once I've got Lion running. Is it much quicker?

I wouldn't say Time Machine is quicker, ultimately it's still using the same IO to write the files over USB. It's just the way it works. Seamless recovery of files and folders or the entire machine. It's brilliant. It means you never have to worry about your data again. Even if you buy a new machine tomorrow you know you can recover everything easily and efficiently. You can browse your entire machine as it was on any given date & time that TM took a backup.

Yes, you probably tried pointing it to a FAT32 or NTFS file system disc. Needs to be OSX Journaled.

EDIT: It will be quicker once it's done a first full backup, because after that, it only backs up files that have changed.

Last edited:
  Go cry to your momma!

The reverse scrolling is strange, I don't mind it. Just need to get used to it.

The new mail is ace..

Took about 10mins to install with my SSD.

ScreenShot2011-07-20at145333.png

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

I'm rocking a Hybrid SSD/HDD (Seagate Momentus XT).

Was really cheap for the 500GB model and it well f**king snappy.

Go cry to your momma!

What's this not being able to go back a page with three fingers anymore? :'(

EDIT: Ahh, it's due to all the new gestures!

Oh my :eek:

WOW. Why haven't operating systems always been like this? It's EPIX.

Last edited:

I've disabled the natural scrolling. It doesn't feel natural on a non-touchscreen, and in some areas (for example when choosing wallpapers) it has no affect. Personally I'm sticking with old school scrolling direction.

The multiple dekstops are simply amazing. This is going to be a massive boon for me at work. I often have several apps or windows open, and now rather than finding them and minimising etc. I just swipe between them. It's awesome as f**k. Launchpad is great too. I don't have any intersest in Mail, as I use Sparrow.

Definitely mate. It's really quite unlike anything I've used before. Once one becomes accustomed to it, I think it's going to be amazing times a hundred.

Go cry to your momma!

Totally agree on the natural scroll thing Roy, can't get used to it so I'm sticking with it as it was before.

Multiple desktops is already coming into play nicely :)