ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overtaking flashers!

Why is it that some drivers have to give you full beam from behind when you have overtaken them????

Its not the first time but it happened again tonight and it was a clear road that I know well, nothing coming the other way and it was a car doing 55 on a national limit A road I overtook him and then... wallop full beam in the mirror for 5 secs!!

I even checked all my rear lights when I got home just in case!

Is it car envy or what?!:confused:

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Its because you dare to overtake them. Some people take offence and think you should sit behind them whilst they drive Miss Daisy.

If the road is clear and you overtake without breaking the speed limit it seems to wind them up :sick:

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

flash you in?

Same as lorries, or longer vehicles. I sometimes do it without thinkin!

[Edited by Someone who cant type on 07 January 2005 at 7:59pm]

You know that is one of my pet hates.

I usually give a 2 fingered salute as usually they are doing well below the speed limit.

On a few occasions i have slowed down and gestured as to what their problem was.

If they continue i usually stop..i know..grow up!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

A Clio is lots of things but its never a longer vechicle lol

I know what you mean though Steve but it doesnt sound like its someone flashing him in,it happens to me if im in my 182 but not in my other car which is just a Turbo diesel and nothing sporty looking.

190 BHP Willy 2

Another one is if you are travelling along a dual carriage way and people traveling towards you think because theres a couple of lanes, and a little barrier they can leave there lights on full beam. Thats my pet hate.

Or someone pulls out in front of you..and i mean right out in front of you and you beep your horn.

Then they give you the finger?

red rag to a bull

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Mini roundabouts when people shoot straight across when its your right of way causing you to brake hard.

Then as above they become abusive when you sound your horn :sick:

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 07 January 2005

flash you in?

Same as lorries, or longer vehicles. I sometimes do it without thinkin!

[Edited by Someone who cant type on 07 January 2005 at 7:59pm]
Nice thought but no, def not flashing me in! Just being a total ****er! It was a good five second blast on full beam well after I had pulled in!!

Sometimes I want to just stop and say to them "What?" What is it you are trying to tell me? Is it that you feel inadequate in your ford Sierra 1.6LX circa 1990 or maybe you are just trying to tell me that I just overtook you, in which case... thanks for the scoop ars**le!:devilish:

P

peterh2

I think in some cases it’s as your xenon’s have been blinding them so they try to “get revenge” once you overtake. I tend to just flick my rear view mirror down and keep my foot down there normally out of sight fast enough ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 07 January 2005

Another one is if you are travelling along a dual carriage way and people traveling towards you think because theres a couple of lanes, and a little barrier they can leave there lights on full beam. Thats my pet hate.
Bloody well agree. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ them.

Have to say though, was travelling on the M25 sometime last year and came past the Renault Sport F1 team who as I put my indicator on flashed me in. Nice to feel special. :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Tis very annoying, happens to me a fair bit..some people see themselves as guardians of road safety I think and overtaking is dangerous! lol

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 07 January 2005
I think in some cases it’s as your xenon’s have been blinding them so they try to “get revenge” once you overtake.;)

That will be it!

I got accused of having Xenons once but it was the car behind me :eek:

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah agree that it is possibly in response to your Xenons which they think are your main beam.

I remember once though going up a long hill outside Bristol (Tog Hill) where there is dual carriageway to allow the overtaking of lorries etc. A Mini Cooper (the old 1.3i type from the 90s) started overtaking me but I didnt speed up I just maintained the speed I was doing at the bottom of the hill. As we got further up the hill the Mini started slowing down as it didnt have the power and the woman driving it had to drop in behind me as the road went down to single carriageway at the top.

She gave me a load of head and spot lights in my mirror but me and my mate were too busy laughing to care.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by Day172 on 07 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 07 January 2005

I think in some cases it’s as your xenon’s have been blinding them so they try to “get revenge” once you overtake.;)

What about in the middle of the day when they flash you then ???? :confused:

I dont think its the xenons IMO

No worries buddies, I get this when I overtake in my Clio 1.5 DCI!?

just switch on you rear foggies and watch their retinas burn out, you dont have too look at their lights but they cant avoid yours, they usually get the hint (eventually)

p.s. Im 46 dont ever "grow-up" but look out for yourself, nothing dumb heh!

But he said it was at night :confused:

If it happened during the day Id be questioning my maneuver!
It has happened during the day as well...... but I can honestly say my manouvre was sound!!!!

I do not take unneccessary risks, I am too much of a whimp to risk mine or any body elses lives with dangerous overtaking:oops:

I hate it when people flash you to move. When they want to get passed and theres a long line of traffic in front. Doesnt happen in the 182 but in the van you get it all the time. Happened today, moved over then was about 2inch off his bumper for 5 miles.
I get alot of people flash me about my xeons.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

But he said it was at night :confused:
I know he did lol

I was saying but what about getting flashed in the day for overtaking,which has happened to me.Cant be xenons then and if its a long flash as opposed to a let you in flash then it must just be a fool !

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Never get people flashing their lights at me after Ive overtaken tbh. But these xenons piss me off, Im always getting people flashing their lights at me when Im going in the opposite direction, even tho Ive lowered them down a rediculous amount. I was behind some bell-end in a z3 who put his rear fogs on when I got behind him cos he thought I had my full beams on.

yeh its a bit of "you cant overtake me" and its a bit " your xenons are so bright you must of had your full beam on, so i will do the same to you" LOL

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 07 January 2005
yeh its a bit of "you cant overtake me" and its a bit " your xenons are so bright you must of had your full beam on, so i will do the same to you" LOL

Your little racing blue 182 looks great...

because they are tw*ts i think just about covers it!

i dontmind if someone flashes me if i have misjudged an overtake and had to pul it a bit sharpish but if you have given them plenty of room its just not on!

Yeah people dont like being overtaken, always cracks me up when they look over at you as you go past as if to say WTF do you think your doing LOL

I encouraged the missus to overtake some fat moose in a shi*ty old pug 205 and the look on her face was priceless hehe she tried to get her own back by overtaking on the approaching roundabout which was a laught as we took the last exit.

The main problem i find nowadays is that most good overtaking roads have chevrons up the middle which mean your not allowed to overtake....boll*x!!

It makes it even better when you go completely on the over side of the road past chevrons and such like....

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

yeah but very few do! It would cause more accidents if they did. Means more overtaking!

The Transport Agency or woteva they are called are regularly falling out with the big fleet managers about this

That artical is so true, i normally have a 150 mile drive from work to my folks and about 100 are on national speed limit A/B roads and i always find that you will get a que of about 10 cars doing 45-50 cos of the caravan, motor home or rover 25(with travel rug) at the head of the que and no one will overtake. Problem is that no one leaves a gap these days, so by the time i overtake the lead car im doing a ton plus......which wakes a few people up!

As for xenons, i get flashed at night and i dont have them, mine are adjusted down as well. Always return a flash of full beam just to "show" them they were dipped!

Quote: Originally posted by lou_m on 07 January 2005
That artical is so true, i normally have a 150 mile drive from work to my folks and about 100 are on national speed limit A/B roads and i always find that you will get a que of about 10 cars doing 45-50 cos of the caravan, motor home or rover 25(with travel rug) at the head of the que and no one will overtake. Problem is that no one leaves a gap these days, so by the time i overtake the lead car im doing a ton plus......which wakes a few people up!As for xenons, i get flashed at night and i dont have them, mine are adjusted down as well. Always return a flash of full beam just to "show" them they were dipped!

Ive started flashing back to show people there dipped.

Quote: Originally posted by lou_m on 07 January 2005
Need to get some bonnet mounted rally spots......that would be fun:devilish:

That would be funny as f**k