ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC vs Consoles Official Thread

No i can't, games are designed to work with consols etc. PC games are designed to push the limits.

If a PC gamer was to settle for no AA/fancy lighting effects/etc etc their PC would run anygame fine. But they always want that little bit more, hence why upgrading.

A nice PC would last 3 years+ easily and still play most games at settings better or equivilent to an Xbox/PS3.

I mean, the graphics in a PS3 is on par with this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/X1950-Pro-Gam...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1e6258dae6

But you obviously can't just make a comparison just like that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Battlefield 1942 was the best war game imo, so simple yet so good, the planes, Helicopters, dirt buggys, tanks etc. imo nothing has come close to that game for sheer fun and simpleness. COD has become too much of a run around like a nutter and spray game and the latest Battlefields are trying too hard :(

Problem with PC gaming is that every 6 months my pc would be out of date and need new graphics card and more memory and everything :(

Wrong, wrong and a bit more wrong. This argument is getting more tiring by the day. And this is why my 2006 motherboard currently on eBay currently has 41 watchers on it, is it? Surely following that logic, my old motherboard would be useless after September 2010 and worth 50p?

That's not true, re the PC gaming upgrade

My rig has stayed much the same for 3 years

Currently running a Q6600, 4Gb of RAM, and a GTX275

Still plays everything perfectly at 1920x1080

Exactly. If you want a ultra-high end PC - you can do it. If you don't, so be it. The flexibility, scope and customisation options available to the typical PC user is simply overlooked by many console owners.

D.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
This whole myth surrounding PC rigs costing £3k and needing upgrading every 4 days is a bit silly.

Have had my PC for 3/4 years now, the upgrade cost me no more than £400 and it plays games fine :/

Did you buy all the bits seperately and build it yourself though.

We're talking about your average gamer... Most wouldn't have the skill/knowhow to do it on such a budget.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't believe this made 6 pages.

So what's the summary?

Fiesta ST-2
Out of interest do the keys on the keyboards have sensitivity? I.e you can strafe slower/faster like on an analogue controller? And f**k tapping different keys constantly to run/jump/prone/throw grenades lol!

LOL at this thread, Roy is right though.

I've played MW2 on PC PS3 and XB and yes playing on a console is better with mates on a sofa, but playing alone is no comparison. As someone said earlier console aiming is assisted. I noticed when sniping on console the sight doesn't move round much, just aim and shoot, with PC is wobbles around all over the place, you have to fight it to aim which takes more skill and makes it more realistic.

Consoles are great for some types of games and a social point of view, ease of use etc, but I still prefer PC for everything else.

I love Lamp
Wrong, wrong and a bit more wrong. This argument is getting more tiring by the day. And this is why my 2006 motherboard currently on eBay currently has 41 watchers on it, is it? Surely following that logic, my old motherboard would be useless after September 2010 and worth 50p?

LOL i said my pc, but if you know better of the upgrades regarding my old PC then I stand corrected ;) Granted if you buy a proper gaming machine it will be different but mine was just one from like PC world for a few hundred lol

F82 M4
Out of interest do the keys on the keyboards have sensitivity? I.e you can strafe slower/faster like on an analogue controller? And f**k tapping different keys constantly to run/jump/prone/throw grenades lol!

AFAIK there isn't any keyboards that have a sensitivity option. I may stand corrected though? The japs probably have something like that!

You can get keyboards they react quicker etc, but generally PC games with have a walk button - so instead of just slightly pushing up the stick, you would hold ctrl and w and you would walk.

Can you get an analogue keyboard for a PC? Does such a thing exist?

People have made them but I don't think there is anything mass produced yet. As con says most games will have the option to press another key (usually with your little finger) that will either make you run faster or walk.

Out of interest how much does sound matter when playing things like CoD on XBox / PS3? On CS it's a huge part of the game and because it isn't exactly advanced audio it has a lot of definition to it due to the fact it isn't being muffled out by background noise and surround sound effects. You can gauge distance and location just by a single footstep and with multiple footsteps you can get a good idea of numbers of others around (eg behind walls / other areas of maps).

Anyone else find that after so long of PC gaming that their hands naturally land on ASWD, shift/ctrl and space when sitting down to use a PC? :eek:

Just played BC on my PC.

For 4 years old, it ran it very well with very very pretty graphics! Can't wait for the PC version of BF3, which will be better!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've read the ps3 has a lot of untapped potential which is down to developers not willing to put the extra money in due to the games Market. Why would you spend a lot of money on developing a game just for ps3 when you can make it for other consoles too and make twice as much.
It's not so much down to developers not being willing to put the money in... (it's typically the publilsher who takes the risk and funds the developer to produce a game) ...it's more to do with the fact that the PS3 hardware is in fact pretty crap when it comes to executing the sort of code typically found in modern day games.

Evo 5 RS
Nobody fully understands how the cell processor works apart from IBM. It's basically just a mahoosively powerful number cruncher with a half decent graphics processor

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nobody fully understands how the cell processor works apart from IBM. It's basically just a mahoosively powerful number cruncher with a half decent graphics processor

To be fair IBM have been fairly cool with helping those who have licensed / used the Cell-based architecture in their systems. It's not massively complex (well, it is) and it is - as I feel you already know your stuff - a superb number-cruncher which offers great parallel and distributed processing ability. The problem is that it's too good in many ways for gaming; or rather it's not best suited for gaming. It is great for crunching through loads of processor intensive tasks that can be parallelised and streamed through the system by the chunk load. It may have been wiser to use a slightly less sophisticated system comprising of more general purpose processors (or cores) with a faster interconnect pathway between them and the various levels of onboard memory store. To cut a long and boring story short I agree with you ^ LOL!

Apologies for going off topic.

It may have changed, last time i bought an Xbox 360 title when it was released it cost me £45/50 i'm sure. Could have changed, but i lost interest in the s**t box years ago.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I acquired a 360 last night and jumped straight into Red Dead Redemption.

Got as far as the 'training' bit with Ellie-Mae McSlack Flaps with the horse-riding at night. Came across those pesky wabbits in the field and erm, managed to shoot one. Got to the coyote bit after that and missed every single one. Hmmm. The precision and accuracy felt like trying to paint the Queen's head on a stamp with yard brush.... :)

D.