ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC vs Consoles Official Thread

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I was a PC gamer for years, i think my first PC was a 486 with a 100mb hard drive. But for the last 10 years I've only really used PCs for work and surfing, probably mainly due to cost, and the fact that consoles are just more convenient.

I've got no doubt that a game experienced on a monster PC, with headphones, sat 2 feet away from a 24" monitor is an awesome experience and probably better than a console can offer. However, I'll stick with my sofa, and a console that costs a fraction of the price and offers a similar experience. I can live with that.

As far as controls go, K&M are far more intuitive and easier to pick up. Pads take a while to get used to and are not as accurate, but then again you don't need to rest them on anything and to be sat at a desk.

I guess its like comparing an expensive performance car with a cheap hot hatch. Can't really compete in terms of performance, but you'll have just as much in either.

Incidentally. Goldeneye was essentially WASD was it not? I'm sure the yellow camera buttons were used for moving, and the stick for looking. It can't have been the other way around.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
There will be something along soon I imagine. And everyone will buy them because everyone else will be. But I can't see them keeping the cost down, £500 minimum you would think for the next gen of consoles?

Roy, I know what you are getting at with the graphics thing, but the majority of people who play games, don't take them massively seriously. These people will be pleased with a console with good graphics for circa £250. Then there are the more serious gamers,who are still not hugely fussed on having THE best graphics available, but prefer solid game play and other things over graphics. Then there are the serious gamers who want amazing graphics that are a step above, who buy Power PC's.

I don't really care enough about the graphics in FPS. MW2 was amazing, and I would be happy if they were all as good as that. I am more concerned about the actual games.

Giulietta 940
Sony and MS will keep this s**t going... especially with the release of the Kinect and whatever Sony's offering was. I don't think they'll bother releasing anything else until end of 2012/beginning of 2013, except for "limited special editions" of their consoles in orange or purple to coincide with whatever game is coming out at the time.

I did hear Nintendo were going to releasing the "Wii 2", supposedly with a blu-ray player, and everything else the PS3 currently has.

I agree with you Roy about Crysis, and the next stage of games. When Crysis came out I was in awe of the graphics and the physics, even if the gameplay wasn't brilliant. Since then everything has been pretty much run of the mill, nothing has really tested my system as such. That having been said, I would prefer games that concentrated more on gameplay than graphics, i.e. L4D and Portal. Of course, that is only my opinion.

There will be something along soon I imagine. And everyone will buy them because everyone else will be. But I can't see them keeping the cost down, £500 minimum you would think for the next gen of consoles?

Roy, I know what you are getting at with the graphics thing, but the majority of people who play games, don't take them massively seriously. These people will be pleased with a console with good graphics for circa £250. Then there are the more serious gamers,who are still not hugely fussed on having THE best graphics available, but prefer solid game play and other things over graphics. Then there are the serious gamers who want amazing graphics that are a step above, who buy Power PC's.

I don't really care enough about the graphics in FPS. MW2 was amazing, and I would be happy if they were all as good as that. I am more concerned about the actual games.

Completely agree. If you want the very best of what's available then you pay through the nose for the luxury. No different to anything else. I still keep my consoles because they're great fun with mates around. Beer bottles and packets of Twiglets. I'd never consider a PC gaming session for that kind of fun. PC FPS is a different kind of fun. More about the hardcore experience. It's good to have both options.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Incidentally. Goldeneye was essentially WASD was it not? I'm sure the yellow camera buttons were used for moving, and the stick for looking. It can't have been the other way around.

Nope.

Stick for movement, D Pad for strafing/free look.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
From what I've read the ps3 has a lot of untapped potential which is down to developers not willing to put the extra money in due to the games Market. Why would you spend a lot of money on developing a game just for ps3 when you can make it for other consoles too and make twice as much.

1.8 Civic EX
From what I've read the ps3 has a lot of untapped potential which is down to developers not willing to put the extra money in due to the games Market. Why would you spend a lot of money on developing a game just for ps3 when you can make it for other consoles too and make twice as much.

yeah, isn't it supposed to be able to cure cancer and launch nuclear missles or some shite?!? lol

as above, I'd expect the current xbox and PS to carry on as they are for a good few years longer. The next big thing will possibly be 3D, especially now with the 3DS coming out soon.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I can take the slight performance hit on console because of the endless advantages over a PC.

I can play it on my sofa. I can play it with mates on a huge, worldwide arena. It doesn't need rebuilding every 12-18 months. It doesn't cost me £3k.

I sit at a desk all day, I'm not going to want to sit at a desk for recreation. lol.

The excuse of calling us console owners peasants doesn't fly either. Not all of us still play on a CRT with the inbuilt speakers.

Swift Sport
Something that's forgotten about PC gaming is that (legitimate) games are usually £10 cheaper than console titles and then steam and d2d etc have crazy sales on over the holidays where you can get about 20 games for £50 or less. (GTAIV + EFLC for £6 for example).

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
yeah, isn't it supposed to be able to cure cancer and launch nuclear missles or some shite?!? lol

as above, I'd expect the current xbox and PS to carry on as they are for a good few years longer. The next big thing will possibly be 3D, especially now with the 3DS coming out soon.

LOL. They've said that for years. No one can be arsed to code for the f*cking thing because of it though.

The PS3 gamer bears the brunt of it, as a result, by having a ported 360 version of the game.

I can believe that to a certain extent. Uncharted 2 was sensationally good looking. My favourite console game in recent years too.

Giulietta 940
I'm sorry I had to stop reading there. WUT?1

Lollerz. Whilst the game environment was incredible, I found the actual gameplay to be somewhat lacking, I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not saying it was a bad game, far from it, but for me there are better FPSs out there. Maybe because I'm a Valve fanboi :(

LOL. They've said that for years. No one can be arsed to code for the f*cking thing because of it though.

The PS3 gamer bears the brunt of it, as a result, by having a ported 360 version of the game.

PS3's biggest single problem is that the controller is 20 years old and designed for people with disfigured gaming claws. Sony's refusal to accept this fact and move on gets on my breasts. I have no doubt that if a PS4 was released tomorrow, it would have the same controller, but this time with f**king TRILLIONS of different sensitivity levels in the analogue buttons that no one uses as analogue. And it'll still have triggers with 2mm of sweep, that your fingers slide off of. Muppets.

1.8 Civic EX
lol at gaming claws

I used to love the PS pad back in the day but the xbox one is so much better/more comfortable/erganomic

Basically xbox rinses PS3. PS3 is just a Blu-ray player that you can also play Uncharted on. I don't even use mine for Blu-rays anymore because it's become too noisy over the years. Then again I only really use the xbox for Forza and that's once in a blue moon. I'm a PC FPS geek really.

FPS Roy.

I love Lamp
The PS3 has already started going 3D as they did a Motorstorm game in 3D which i played round a mates who has a 3D tv and it was immense.

Uncharted 3 will be out soon to show what a PS3 can do but as has been said it's a b**ch to code so its mostly ported 360 games -_- PC is best for shooting games though point and click is so much easier, consoles for the rest.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I use my PS3 as a media player, for Uncharted 2 (and no doubt Uncharted 3) and maybe WipeOut once in a while. Other than that, if there's a game on multi-platform, I'll always choose the 360 version. PS3 for exclusives only, and media playing, as mentioned.

1.8 Civic EX
I could and have, but not with a moving target, and not without swaying past the head twice while waiting for the aim-bot to lock on. PMSL. I s**t joypads.

you obviously don't have the skillz required ;)

am I right in understanding that even the blu-ray player on the PS3 isn't as good as a dedicated blu-ray player much like the DVD player in the PS2 was a bit crap?

genuine question that one...

also whats the crak with PS3 people sugestioning it's better than the xbox for media streaming? I've seen freinds use thier PS3's for streaming music, showing photos and playing vids/films but it doesn't seem to be any more capeabal in that area than the xbox, unless I'm missing something?

Last edited:
  328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Hi, I'm Roy.

I play games on my power PC, because I am not a peasant, and have superior aiming skills. I like to rebuild my computer every week.

FatNerd.jpg

I love Lamp
Roffle at point & click. It's no wonder some people get the wrong impression of K&M.

Do they still have people making the old Wall hacks etc for the PC versions? The first medal of honor was brilliant with them on, everyone glowing green the other side of the maps lol (not that I ever used them..)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
You *THINK* you have superior aim with your pad, but you're forgetting the level of assistance that's been built in to the console game to enable complete f**king idiots to play it

PC gaming has no mercy

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You *THINK* you have superior aim with your pad, but you're forgetting the level of assistance that's been built in to the console game to enable complete f**king idiots to play it

PC gaming has no mercy

FPS games all need VATS.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
FPS games all need VATS.

Exactly.

VATS needs to be controlled by a mouse and keyboard

The console has it's uses. For me, I use it mostly for sports games.

FPS's on console is criminally wrong. f**king kids destroying the old ways, thinking their COD37 is the best thing in the world and the PC doesn't exist

Without the PC, they wouldn't have their precious Black Modern Ops Warfare Battlefield 37

I love Lamp
Exactly.

VATS needs to be controlled by a mouse and keyboard

The console has it's uses. For me, I use it mostly for sports games.

FPS's on console is criminally wrong. f**king kids destroying the old ways, thinking their COD37 is the best thing in the world and the PC doesn't exist

Without the PC, they wouldn't have their precious Black Modern Ops Warfare Battlefield 37

Yeah Battlefield 1942 was the best war game imo, so simple yet so good, the planes, Helicopters, dirt buggys, tanks etc. imo nothing has come close to that game for sheer fun and simpleness. COD has become too much of a run around like a nutter and spray game and the latest Battlefields are trying too hard :(

Problem with PC gaming is that every 6 months my pc would be out of date and need new graphics card and more memory and everything :(

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
That's not true, re the PC gaming upgrade

My rig has stayed much the same for 3 years

Currently running a Q6600, 4Gb of RAM, and a GTX275

Still plays everything perfectly at 1920x1080

This whole myth surrounding PC rigs costing £3k and needing upgrading every 4 days is a bit silly.

Have had my PC for 3/4 years now, the upgrade cost me no more than £400 and it plays games fine :/

F82 M4
Had a quick 2 mins on a deathmatch server last night just to show you how much more fast paced PC gaming is. You can't move like that with a pad.

[video]http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/wilky1107/?action=view&current=IMG_0326.mp4[/video]

This still shows the massive difference between the two to be honest.

Fiesta ST-2
This for me is another vital factor in the immersion. When I want to look up, I want to look up, not push a stick and wait for my retarded eyes and neck to catch up. Granted, with a mouse it can sometimes be too fast, but if you tailor the sensitivity to your tastes, it's entirely convincing, and just feels natural. Like you're there...not really controlling anything at all. The whole point of a first person experience.
Roy that's twice you've mentioned the speed of console movement, their is a sensitivity setting!!! Default is incredibly slow.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
This whole myth surrounding PC rigs costing £3k and needing upgrading every 4 days is a bit silly.

Have had my PC for 3/4 years now, the upgrade cost me no more than £400 and it plays games fine :/

That was an exaggeration. Like Roy saying pads are crap for FPS.

PC's cost far more than consoles and don't have a six-year lifespan. You can't argue that.