ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pearl Black 172 Daily

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well after selling the Megane and picking up a Transporter for daily duties/family holidays I wanted a car for just running up the shops, picking the kids up and a bit of fun without costing too much.

I saw a pearl black 172 advertised on here by @stonejedi last October for breaking, but imo it looked too good to pull apart. All origional and only 90k. Was not too far from me and went to have a look. Had been stood for some time, but under a good quality cover. No history of belts, noisey Dephaser, seized aux belt tensioner, partially stripped interior and flat battery. Battery change and fired up straight away. Checked it all over and was in really good condition. Pearl black is one of my favourite colours. I returned the following day and collected it.

20181006_154457.jpg

It then stood on my drive for a couple of month's. Refitted interior, sealed rear boot plugs as water was leaking into the boot, new front and rear Cup shocks fitted with Cooksports I had. Standard steering wheel with carbon thumb grips, carbon dash inserts, upgraded speakers all round with Kenwood Bluetooth stereo. I have slowly worked through a list of little jobs. The rear wiper had already been removed so I purchased and fitted a recently painted blanking plate from @Dr Jekyll.

I purchased brand new genuine Dephaser pulley, Cambelt kit, water pump and aux belt kit. New alternator. Couple of weeks ago it went to my Renault man to have all items fitted and timed up correctly. Oil, filter and coolant change all with the recommended Renault stuff.

Then I took for mot without the worry of any of the belts going during the test. Passed with no advisories, which was a right result. I was now able to drive the car properly for the first time. Tracking was way out and I could hear one of the wheel bearings sounded a bit noisey. Got the tracking done, which made it drive much better.

Fitted some speedline 2118's with AD08r tyres I had saved for my own Clio. I got some TPI bolts that were for sale on here because I really like the look of them!

The wheel bearing noise was really annoying and was hard to tell which one. I removed both front hubs yesterday. The drivers side one was definately gone. The passenger side has a small amount of movement. I have ordered a pair of FAG bearings, which will be fitted this week. I will then reassemble with some new track rod ends and get the tracking done again. Should then be good to use a bit more!

I purchased a black Ktr induction kit with black hose, which I am waiting to arrive. I also have 3ltr of Elf gearbox oil to change when I got the hubs.

Then I will be giving the car it's first detail for some time, which I am really looking forward too. Light restoration on the headlights, new side indicators. I have some rather nice seats to fit in too!

Now I have started the thread finally I will get some better pictures once all cleaned and in use. Not got plans for much in the way of modifications. Will prob get a few bits powder coated and cleaned up.

Most recent pic I have...

20190202_152106.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hubs removed ready for new bearings. Will be all cleaned up and painted before I refit.

20190218_152829.jpg

Before anyone mentions the front numberplate, I have a new one to go on!!

Front washer jets are to be replaced with blanks I have saved. The washer bottle will be replaced with a single pump Cup one I have just picked up. Has new genuine Renault sport mats inside too.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
?Looking Lovely! I am so glad that you have brought it back to the way that it looks now...i'm looking forward to its progression?.SJ.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
?Looking Lovely! I am so glad that you have brought it back to the way that it looks now...i'm looking forward to its progression?.SJ.

Really really pleased with it. I knew it needed a fair bit of work, but aside from the front bumper and a couple of car parts dents it is so straight and origional.

There are loads of little bits I have done, but forgotten about. Poly bushed dog bone, USB port in in place of cigarette lighter socket, paintless dent removal on rear N/S quater panel, removed auto changer and wiring etc etc. Not been cleaned since I bought it so looking forward to that. I have a O/S front arch liner as that is missing and Skoda front splitter to fit. All bits I have hoarded!!

Just want to get these wheel bearings sorted so I can start driving it. Will be removing side skirts and door strips when I get a chance to clean behind. Aside from the induction kit plan in to just tidy the engine bay up but leave standard.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Addicted. Looks tidy.

It will be once I am finished with it! No obvious rust issues either. My paintless dent removal magician will be returning to remove all dents on the car once I am ready. Front bumper and washer blanks will be getting painted. Acquired a new RS Badge to fit in place of the Clio one too ?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Front wheel bearings pressed into the hubs today. New track rod ends. New Cup front shocks to go with the Cooksports. Have partially re-assembled as ran out of time.

Discs and pads look pretty much new. Just want to clean calipers up and grease sliders before I put it all back together to make sure there is no binding, where it has been stood for a while.

Will also change washer bottle, fit Cup washer blanks, change gearbox oil and fit the Ktec induction kit which arrived this morning. Hope to have ready for its first clean, numberplate change and minor headlight restoration this weekend.

Will tax from the 1st March and start using it. Will then do little bits as and when time allows. Most of the major stuff is hopefully done!

20190219_104029.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not had much time to work on the pearl black due to the roof being replaced on my house and it being parked on a friend's drive for the last month.

It's back now though and managed to get a few bits done today. After getting the front wheel bearings done, which were both knackered, I still had a horrible drone when driving. Rear discs didn't look great so ordered a pair from eBay with the bearings pressed in along with some Mintex Pads. Did the drivers side first. On removal this was clearly my issue. The bearing was knackered. This did not show up until removed. No play and when spun with the wheel on seemed fine. Once removed felt terrible. Was good to see the washers present behind the discs. Have taken a pic for anyone not sure what the washer looks like.

20190422_120515.jpg
20190422_120510.jpg
20190422_120458.jpg

Both sides done. Passenger side bearing seemed fine when removed. Rear nuts torque up to 175 NM. Took for a drive and all is good. No more drone. All four wheel bearings have now been replaced.

I have replaced most of the horrible sport sticky plastics with the non sport ones. Was just the dash which needed swapping over. I had managed to get one from a 1.2 that was being scrapped. All swapped over and so much better. That is dash, hazard panel and door pulls all replaced with non sticky ones.

I have recently purchased one of the upgraded road dog bone mounts from @PhillipM to try. As the car is for road use I would like it to be fairly refined. Pic below is of the Powerflex one fitted and the new one from.

20190422_173714.jpg

20190422_174138.jpg

Did a few other little jobs too. Main thing to get done before I start to use daily is nearside track rod replaced as old one is currently seized on and tracking done again due to all the suspension refresh at the front and bearing changes.

I also have a battery cover to fit from @MarcB and then just a good clean and detail. I will then update with some decent pictures finally.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Managed to fit a few jobs in this week in between getting my house finished. New drum stick and track rod fitted on the offside. Tracking done at the same time.

Drives much better and steering wheel is sitting straight again. It still feels slightly off now the car has settled though so will take back for a bit of minor adjustment.

Taxed and now using daily. Did a few hundred miles to work and back it it last week. Really really like it. Induction noise is addictive. Only issue I identified was there was still a fair amount of engine movement. Especially on hard acceleration where there was some exhaust knocking.

Today I have removed the top engine mount and this is definately the culprit. Completely collapsed. I had a good one in my spares with a yellow Powerflex insert which I have fitted today. Already seems much improved. Will test it properly tomorrow on way to work. The engine is definitely sitting a bit higher and no where near as much movement.

I promise to get some proper pictures this week as well pleased with the car. Will list full spec too. In two minds whether to get a silenced Stealth exhaust system for it.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Any feedback on the lower mount, or not driven it much yet?

Have put over 500 miles on. Unfortunately the top engine mount was shot, so have replaced that. There is still too much movement and I think the upper gearbox mount is at fault so hard to evaluate at the moment. Certainly not getting as much vibration in the car as I would with a solid one. Once I have replaced the gearbox mount(this week) I will give a proper review.

Initial assessment is it is well made, stiffer that the standard dogbone and definately not as harsh as the solid ones available.

Had a lot of distractions and long hours at work over the last couple of weeks so not much time for cars! I have ordered a Bilt Hamber clay bay and a large bottle of Menzerna FG400 ready to get on with cleaning!

Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well quite a few things have changed in the last few weeks and some of you have probably noticed I have been selling quite a few of my uprated parts. The pearl black has been returned to almost standard bar a few nice uprated bits. I am keeping my track car, but have purchased a new daily so will be putting a for sale advert with full details of the pearl black tomorrow.

It currently has a set of refurbished 15" wheels on with PS3'S all round, which I like. It will come with a set of origional 16" wheels too. Looking to sell for 2k if anyone is interested.

20190717_142844.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Should sell easy. Nice 1*2's are becoming rare

Only 92k and I have spent a small fortune! All belts, water pump, suspension overhaul, new cooksports, new bearings all round, discs and pads, all interior plastics replaced, full fluid changes there is a big list! Only selling as I have purchased a 330i off another member and have got the track car to concentrate on. Will do a big list of all the work completed on it later.