ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol spill = smelly

Maz

LY 200
Had a bit of an accident with a 20L petrol can and the seal not being closed correctly last week and the smell of petrol is making me feel :dead:

Most of the petrol was soaked into a picnic blanket that was rolled up in the boot but obviously a bit got on the boot carpet too hence the smell lol :clown:

Its dried out, I have rubbed it with a damp cloth and some smelly household cleaning products but the smell is still there, not anywhere near as strong but still there.

Any quick/simple suggestions how to get rid please ?

Ta :D

Mito Sportiva 135
Set it on fire...

Pros: petrol will be gone.
Cons: so will your car.

Not really sure TBH, petrol is notoriously noxious in terms of fumes and because of its consistency once it has soaked its very difficult to remove.

Try some AG interior cleaner, dilute it with water and scrub in, leave for a while then soak up using a wet and dry vacuum cleaner if you have one or leave a few towels on it otherwise.

Potentially could just get a new boot lining though, shouldn't cost too much.

Mito Sportiva 135
She would have to smell a lot of it and for a long period of time for any permanent side effects though...although you may get headaches in the short term.

How much did you spill though? If it was a lot then might just be easier to replace the carpet.

Maz

LY 200
^^Right ok cheers for that, didn't realise it was that bad, will get need to get it sorted ASAP.

Can I get a mobile valeter to do this ?

^ Was maybe 1L, but like I said most of it went into the picnic blanket that I threw away.

My carpet is just held loosely in lol so you should just be able to take it out.

Give it a wash down with washing up liquid or something, or perhaps some swarfega??

Won't do any harm to wash the boot also Maz. Wouldn't jet washing damage the carpet (if too close)?

Mito Sportiva 135
In the meantime though I would just drive with the windows down to get as much fresh air in as possible...

If you are able to take out the carpet and wash it then its worth a shot before getting a replacement.

Maz

LY 200
^ yeah thats what I have been doing.

^^I aint got a clue tbh Howard, probably just buy a new one or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.