ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 1.4 = RS182!?

In my first year of driving, I insured my ph1 1.4 16v alize for about £3000 for TPFT. Which hurt.

Purely out of curiosity, I did a quick search for how much it would be come renewal time (with my same company) and it was about £1400 TPFT. Not bad!

Until, I just looked up insurance on a 04 plate 182 (Keep dreaming boy), and to my surprise, it was still only £1400 for both TPFT and fully comp.

Insurance group 4, vs insurance group 16. How did this even happen?
​I might start saving for the 182...

EDIT: Just got another quote from a comparison for my ph1 at £750. Somehow I don't think I'll be staying with aviva when it comes around to renewal time.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Binny on here pays half on his 182 what he did on his runaround he had last year, makes no sense at all!

If you are with Aviva then there is no way they would have insured you anyway. I was declined cover when I was 24 as I was told by them you have to be 25 to insure a 1*2 with then

172 Cup
Last year I was 18 with no no claims bonus and a 172 was £2200 fully comp to insure, I've been sent a renewal reminder of £1300 now I'm 19 and it's nearly due, such a huge difference.

Yeah aviva told me where to stick it when I happened to ask out of curiosity. But it's such a massive drop for me either way. It has to be this beautiful new law about gender.

Aviva wanted £4300 for this year (second year insurance) on my MK2 PH3 1.2 16v. Lol no chance. Ended up paying £1430 fully comp with diamond/elephant/admiral which includes break down cover, audio equipment cover, hire car etc!

Yeah aviva told me where to stick it when I happened to ask out of curiosity. But it's such a massive drop for me either way. It has to be this beautiful new law about gender.

I'm convinced they just pull a number out of their behind. I had a Mk4 fiesta that was 1800 FC, I cancelled the policy after a while as the car was going off the road and there was no point insuring it, when i came to reinsure it a few months later, it was 3600 FC or 2800 TPFT.
I spoke with Neil@Greenlight y'day and they gave me a great quote that was 100 less than what i pay at the moment and that's with current and future mods declared! current insurance hasn't been told anything, I think they see it as an excuse to put the price up.

I remember they told me the reason their price was slightly higher than others was because they didnt charge me an excess, when I explained to them how I wasn'y exactly planning on ever crashing and paying an excess in the first place they lowered it a bit.
Can't wait to get a quote from them after the coilies and then tell them if they cant beat 750 all in they may sing for my business as I'll be going to Greenlight!

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Insurance never really makes sense to me, when I was with Admiral with my M3 it cost the same to switch over to my 172 Cup the next year.

Btw, really glad to now be insured with Neil @ Greenlight, extremely helpful and best price I could find.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
So basically you actually tried shopping about & got a cheaper quote?