ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 budget track car

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
This wont be the best build thread ever but i'll update it as we do stuff.

Basically me and my Brother in law wanted to find something to keep us occupied over the winter as he's normally out on his KTM or Jet skis and im on a lake catching monster carp :)

Anyway i sourced a car off here for £500 that was taxed and MOT'd but needed a few bits doing.
Driving it home from Kent was, well, entertaining. It was all over the road and there was a nasty clonk when turning the wheel as well as the revs sticking.

Our 1st 2 days was spent inspecting the car for faults where we found that the wandering steering was the result of a new bottom ball joint that was not tightened up properly or had come loose, a top mount was buggered and the throttle body was dirty.
Other bits that will need doing are brake pads and discs front and rear and a battery clamp, oh and it has a Halfords job cone filter :mad:
We then gutted it.
We sold the seats on here which will go towards the new bucket seats.
So the total spend so far is £350

Car as we got it
IMG_2322.gif

IMG_2325.gif

Unwanted stuff
IMG_2355.gif

IMG_2356.gif

How it is now.
IMG_2358.gif

IMG_2357.gif

Im trying to source some nice but cheap bucket seats and harnesses, steering wheel, strut braces ect ect and on the look out for a trailer.
The main problem im having is i can get all the bits i need off here or eBay cheap enough but they seem to be bloody miles away and no one wants to post 2 seats and a trailer.

The thing about this build is that its on a budget as we have other hobbies and it will only be for a couple of track days if it lasts that long.

I'll update it as we do stuff if anyones interested.

Should be a good laugh. You should get all the sound deadening out while it has no seats. I'll have a cheap dished wheel for sale when I get my new one from f0xy if you're interested?

paisley freight are good for large items to have courier'd , or if you ever need a cheap pallet use pallet line , they do pallets which will easily fit a interior on for about £45 or so , takes the fun out of a track car i find when you spend to much money on one , unless you are competing , cheap and cheerful is the way forward for track car's these days , looks like you got a absolute bargain there though

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Cheers for the replies, and advice on the postage :)

We got some half decent Corbeau seats and runners last night for £150 delivered off eBay which will change the whole look of the car.

Oh and yeah we are aiming for Brands Hatch on the 13th Nov i think it was.

We want to strip the aircon out but im thinking we will need a Cup belt and maybe alternator or am i way off and it not as simple as that ?

A short list off my head of stuff to get that wont cost no more than a few hundred quid ..

Brake lines
Pads
Discs
Strut Braces
Harnesses
Brake Fluid
Oil/Filter
Spark plugs
Steering wheel (daveski have you any pics mate and does it have the boss ?)

172 Race Car
Umm, depends on how much they cost.

If I was trying to do as cheap as poss id leave them and just make sure I had decent fluid (bleed after every trackday and a good set of pads.

They are very capable cars from standard, most stuff will be fine but the standard brakes (pads) wont do many laps before giving up

Get some Brembo HC discs (cheap online) and research your pads

I have a set of braided hoses I never fitted too if you're interested? I am going to be breaking my car soon so wont need them.

The steering wheel is this one except its more worn now.
IMG00134-20110403-1748.gif

172 Race Car
The amount of people on here that spend thousands on their car 'track prepping' in and then have no money to use it is massive. Just enjoy the car and have fun

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
The amount of people on here that spend thousands on their car 'track prepping' in and then have no money to use it is massive. Just enjoy the car and have fun

Thats the plan, that way if it blows up or just dont do it for me i aint lost too much.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Decided to leave buying a steering wheel and brake lines for a bit as the standard will do the job for now.

Going to spend the money on some pads and discs.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Nice one Nick, i have the standard one on atm with the airbag removed, thats deffo alot cheaper than everywhere else, still waiting for the subframes and runners to arrive so we can do more work to it :(

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
We aint really done much to it but heres a quick update with the seats and harnesses and some other odds n sods fitted.

IMG_2556.gif

IMG_2558.gif

IMG_2557.gif

IMG_2560.gif

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
looks like a pretty cool little project!!
very similar to mine!! :)
where abouts in essex are you??

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Buy yourself a whiteline rear ARB, will be by far one of your best purchases on the car

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Recommend you fit Ferodo DS2500 pads all round with Brembo high carbon front discs and DOT5 fluid. Also fit braided lines to eliminate pedal fade when the fluid gets hot. I used to find the pedal went a bit soft for a couple of laps after the car had been into the pits until it had all cooled off a bit. The DOT5 fluid has improved that and braided lines. DS2500 pads are a race pad but don't need warming up to get them working properly. I've used them ever since I got my car. The anti rattle shims need to be left out though on the front as they are very slightly larger pads than standard ones. And use 98 RON fuel for better performance. Also a performance air filter is fine inside a standard 172 air filter box.

HTML:
Ds2500 pads all round isnt needed , just the fronts really and some Brembo discs of g172 in the trader section , think they are around £37 or so for the fronts so not expensive , I have a brand new set of ferrodo ds2500 pads here if you need a set drop me a pm , The rear brakes do hardly anything so standard should be fine for rear to save a few pennies , the pads are the dearest part , ds2500's are £130-£140 new for fronts ,

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
im in leigh-on-sea mate!!

agree with the above, DS2500 on the rear is serious overkill if youre on any kind of budget!!

this is me all over!! damn my student lifestyle and high insurance premiums!!

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Quick update but no pics as they aint arrived yet. I bought some Godspeed Discs and EBC NDX Bluestuff pads. We drained the brake fluid and replaced it with 5.1 and put in some new OEM rear pads.
Removed the carbon canister, stripped the air con out and done some other odds n sods.
Both ball joints have been changed and im waiting on a new hub as one was knackered.

Just need to do an oil and filter change, gearbox oil change, fit new hub, find a decent but cheap steering wheel, fit brake cooling ducts and no doubt more stuff as we get further on ito it.

Oh and we now have the dogs danglies Brian James trailer with tyre rack and winch ect.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Steering wheel and Boss arrived as has all the brakes and new hub, they will be getting fitted next week and then it should be ready to give it a go.

Here it is sitting on its new trailer.

cid_C65B9776-B4B4-43DA-AE75-C3148CE9AAFF.gif