ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 Engine went bang!

Ph1 172 track car
was doing a track day at Mallory Park today and it looks like the bottom end of my 172 went bang. Horrible noise then no power. Visually you can't see any problems but the engine will not turn over. Only done 20 laps!!

Can anyone recommend someone for an engine rebuild? Might consider putting a refurbed engine in as an alternative.

Ph1 172 track car
yeah, suspect this is the best bet. Is it an easy job putting a ph2 engine in? Seem to be plenty of these around.

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
I have a 100% full bottom end that I was meant to swap over and never did along with an engine with some problems with the bottom end, £250 ?

Ph1 172 track car
So, confirmed last night the engine is dead. Seems a valve dropped at high revs and destroyed the piston and head. Still looking for a good engine.. unfortunatey I missed out on Whiteley's! Any idea if a phase 2 172 engine will fit the car? Seems there are a few more of these about than phase 1's.

Al Winner Renault Clio 015.jpgAl Winner Renault Clio 017.jpg

172, Tiguan
It's the same engine, so yes it'll fit. You'll need to swap your upper inlet over as your's will be a cable throttle.

Out of interest how long had you held high revs?

Ph1 172 track car
Thanks, that helps and makes sense.

I had just come out of the hairpin at Mallory park, just gone up to third gear and was doing about 6500 revs and getting ready to change up so not long at all.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
any F4R engine will fit,

it will just be a case of plug and play.

and as said youll have to keep your upper inlet because of the cable throttle,

Ph1 172 track car
Bought a phase II 172 engine today from a breaker.. should be with me next week. Got if for a good price me thinks :)

I also spoke to Ktec and they said there is a technical bulletin about valves dropping in high reving 172 engines. I did a quick forum seach and came up with nothing. Anyone heard of this before? Seems this is what happened with mine!

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Bought a phase II 172 engine today from a breaker.. should be with me next week. Got if for a good price me thinks :)

I also spoke to Ktec and they said there is a technical bulletin about valves dropping in high reving 172 engines. I did a quick forum seach and came up with nothing. Anyone heard of this before? Seems this is what happened with mine!

What price did you get it for if you dont mind me asking ?

Ph1 172 track car
£500 quid delivered. 2002, 60k miles, FSH AND all the ancilliaries. Will just need the belts changing and ARP bolts and it should do me fine. Worth calling these breakers on ebay as they will do a deal to avoid the ebay charges!!