ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 Flame Red....2nd time round.

Nearly eleven years ago I bought a Ph1 flamer brand new (following on from 5 years in a valver) and joined Cliosport !

After five years I sold it on to a good mate, his turn to move on now and I just couldn't pass on the chance so I bought it back :)

The car is sound and well maintained but in need of some basics and cosmetic TLC, its is a second car so plenty of time to get things done....

Starting with the wheels, looking a bit sorry after all this time.

before.jpg

The picture is how the wheel looked straight off the car! Remaining paint was rubbed back, high spots filed down then gouges filled DIY with 'chemical metal', then sanded smooth (took two fill / sand passes) finally sent for a lick of paint at the bodyshop, painted 205-110 GRIS METAL FROID-MET.

Turned out nice !

after.jpg

Ill add more bits as I do them.

Ok, I should have at least started the thread with an old pic :)

Here she is eleven years ago

carpic.jpg

Also done the steering wheel, obviously wanted a lovely retrim but I'm putting the money into other parts of the car first so I went for a de trim instead :)

steeringb.jpg

last bits of gule have been removed now, not too bad for now.

steeringa.jpg

Last edited:
Just a finishing touch on the alloy centre caps. I really wanted the diamond to be silver on the centre caps, the cap is one piece so no way to remove the diamond and I wanted to do a neat job. So I used some liquid mask fluid.

Cap from the paint shop

cap1.jpg

Liquid mask going on

cap2.jpg

Diamond cut out after drying (two coats of mask were used)

cap3.jpg

After spraying silver

cap4.jpg

Mask removal

cap5.jpg

The finished article

cap8.jpg

Before and after

cap7.jpg

I did toy with the idea of getting some chrome paint but I just used what was to hand and Im happy with it, I like the contrast it brings to the wheel, cant wait to get these on :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
nice. good to see another one getting some tlc. doing the same to mine.

BlackGold 182
Best colour on a ph1 no question.

Never seen that liquid mask used before, where you get it from? Might use that myself when I do mine

You must be the oldest member and lowest poster in one lol

Lol, I think your probably right on the post count bit :)

Best colour on a ph1 no question.

Never seen that liquid mask used before, where you get it from? Might use that myself when I do mine

This is the stuff I used but it doesnt seem to be widely available at the moment

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product.../13914/n/Bob-Dively-Liquid-Masking-Film-16-oz

If you search liquid mask under 'toys and games' (its designed for masking paint on model car bodies) on ebay there are a few to choose from, Im sure they are all up to the job.

Ok an update, tyres on the rims

tyreson.jpg

News disks and pads, callipers refurbed in silver

discson.jpg

brake fluid changed, probably been in a while !

oldfluid.jpg

Back on its wheels (door handles and rear bumper away at the paint shop).

wheelson.jpg

ph1 172
Interesting what you've done with the leather on the steering wheel, i've put a cover on mine but i'm not keen on the feel of it. What is under the leather once stripped ? ie plastic, rubber etc...

Disastra Coupe
Have to say, i think silver would have suited the car better again rather than anthracite. But it's nice to see you have your old car and giving it the love it needs!

Megane 225 F1
<3 Flamers, Doing a good job. Must be nice to own the car that you bought brand new 11 years ago.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I realised this sounds a bit sad but this pic

carpic.jpg

is the one that made me need a ph1 flamer in my life years ago. Back then no-one seemed to have one. Done sort of similar to you as well! Bought mine in 07 I think it was, sold in 09 and bought back this year!

Is it just a toy now? Like what're doing to it :)

Cheers for all the positive comments !

Interesting what you've done with the leather on the steering wheel, i've put a cover on mine but i'm not keen on the feel of it. What is under the leather once stripped ? ie plastic, rubber etc...

The wheel is a dense rubber, it feels realy good and looks great, I have not driven with it properly and dont know how it will wear but it had to be better than the crumbling leather ! Stripping the old cover off is easy, jsut pick all the stitching off, but where it meets the section at the bottom you have to cut it with a sharp knife where they are glued together (to leave the bottom bit in place).

Have to say, i think silver would have suited the car better again rather than anthracite. But it's nice to see you have your old car and giving it the love it needs!

I cant say I totally disagree, I got a bit caught up in a change for the sake of, but it will be interesting to see how I feel about them after a while, first impressions now the car is sat on them is I really like them so we will see !

I realy want a set of the official Renault OZ F1's in 16" soooooo bad, and they would be in silver :)

I realised this sounds a bit sad but this pic is the one that made me need a ph1 flamer in my life years ago. Back then no-one seemed to have one. Done sort of similar to you as well! Bought mine in 07 I think it was, sold in 09 and bought back this year! Is it just a toy now? Like what're doing to it

Well, not sad to me :) glad you liked it ! (but I am the one on the Clio forum for so long :)) Yes, sprucing it up is a bit of a hobby, cant wait to get out in it again !

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Those 16's your after have lost their popularity lately, so you may find a set at a good price.

There's also a member on here that offers some really nice wheel re-trims (not sure if you're interested).

It's a great colour for the ph1, no doubt (but it does need to be lower) ;)

Lots done but not so much updated so heres at least one little bit. A bit close to geeky detailing type stuff but... The wing mirror was off for another reason but I took the chance to hit it with some 'Forever Black' Ive been pleased with the results of this before.

wingmirrorcrop.jpg

Ok, lots of little bits done, car is pretty much there now.

Its just back from Birchdown having had a new cam belt, aux belt and a dephaser pulley. Forum opinion took me there and they didn't disappoint, top guys.

The seats were in pretty good order but had lost a little colour on the drivers bolster. I was put onto the Gliptone Scuffmaster kits by a friend and checked out the website. You can have a sample colour matched at no cost but on the database was a 2000 Clio 'd/blue' leather. I decided this had to be from a 172 and ordered a kit (~£16).

scuffmaster.jpg

Before

seat2.jpg

The bottle looked a good match, having applied it I was blown away, a perfect match on 11 year old seats. The small bottles in the kit allow you to lighten or darken the colour, I didn't try / need to.

After

seat.jpg

I ordered a set of mats from Ambassador mats (about £25 delivered). I would have loved another set of original mats but we all know that isn't going to happen. I thought black or grey just didn't go well with the blue interior, so took a chance on a navy blue set. I was very pleased with them. (would be even better if the edging was darker)

interior.jpg

The headlights needed a tickle, I didn't go mad on them (in terms of time spent) but they came up pretty well. If I remember I used 1500 wet & dry followed by some 2000, then used my porter cable DA with some scratch X 2 (I haven't got anything very harsh for the machine) then some meguires #83 DACP.

Before.

headlightbefore.jpg

After.

headlightafter.jpg

The car has been clayed and a layer of Klasse all in one applied. Knowing the history of the car and knowing it has never been polished, ever, its amazing how well it comes up

Claying the hatch, 11 years of grime.

rearclayed.jpg

And a shot of where it stands now.

February2nd078b.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Looks great, same as mine. Some nice touches, the little jobs are sometimes the most satisfying, like the seats and headlights.

120d M Sport
Nice story this one...car looks mint! You must be one of the longest standing members on here.

How does the car feel, compared to your memories of it when new? Does it feel old now or still pretty sharp?

Nice story this one...car looks mint! You must be one of the longest standing members on here.

How does the car feel, compared to your memories of it when new? Does it feel old now or still pretty sharp?

Cheers. That's a good question, I have to say I was expecting to feel a little disappointed when I finally got it back on the road due to its age but not a bit of it. It still feels great to drive and basically how I remembered, not at all tired or sloppy. Still has major fun factor.

120d M Sport
Thats great to hear. Bet you're quite sentimentally attached to it! What mileage is it on?

Let me know if you ever decide to sell...

Plenty more bits done with the weather better.

A rear shock suddenly dumped a puddle of fluid onto the drive so two new rear shocks fitted.

The engine bay got some attention triggered by fitting a new set of spark plugs. Inlet off for a clean, ecu cover and air filter bracket off for respray, wiper arms off for a respray. Washed the airfilter and hoses, stripped and cleaned the throttle body. New airfilter and pollen filter. Looking a lot fresher under there now.

Noticed I need a new front engine bay seal.

enginebay.jpg

Lots of Alfas
I realised this sounds a bit sad but this pic

is the one that made me need a ph1 flamer in my life years ago. Back then no-one seemed to have one. Done sort of similar to you as well! Bought mine in 07 I think it was, sold in 09 and bought back this year!

Is it just a toy now? Like what're doing to it :)

I also remember this pic, and have it saved on my old pc :cool:. It inspired me too, infact I often wandered if the one I have was the same car, also found another pic assuming this is yours?

My20carb-1.jpg

Last edited: