ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

The thing is though that there are Clio turbos used on track which will be hotter on the IAT side of things and therefore put more heat into the engine but have no issues.

That's why I'm asking about the IAT, because then you will at least know how much heat is going in. If they aren't that high then it's another issue.

That's a good point, but the intake now come's from directly behind the headlight and it's got a pretty big intercooler, so I don't see how I can get the intake temps any cooler. I am 99% sure it's another issue.

Have you checked the thermostat? Sounds stupid but it's sometimes easy to overlook the simple things. Also I'd consider putting a shroud around the rad to duct the air through the rad. Otherwise it'll just spill around it as it takes the path of least resistance.

Bigash had similar cooling issues with his, but at the time he wasn't running a stat so the engine was just one big kettle effectively. He fitted a stat and shrouded the rad on my recommendation and he didn't have issues again.

Not stupid at all mate, sometimes the simple things can catch us out, but yes I have checked the stat and it's fine. I did consider removing it but have read that this often causes more problems as you have pointed out.

A shroud around the rad is not a bad shout either. I have also considered a more powerful fan but doubt this will have any benefit once out on track.

clio cup
What gap have you got between the intercooler and Coolant Radiator?
If the gap is too big then you will create an area where heat connot escape, Ideally you want them almost touching,
But if this is not the issue then the only way to get intake temps down is too either fit a larger cooler or may look at some kind of water spray accross the intercooler or water/methonal injection.
Due to the amount of time that you are "on boost" youre always going to fight intake temps but you need to know what is a safe temp.

What gap have you got between the intercooler and Coolant Radiator?
If the gap is too big then you will create an area where heat connot escape, Ideally you want them almost touching,
But if this is not the issue then the only way to get intake temps down is too either fit a larger cooler or may look at some kind of water spray accross the intercooler or water/methonal injection.
Due to the amount of time that you are "on boost" youre always going to fight intake temps but you need to know what is a safe temp.

It's pretty close Dave, probably about 8-10mm. I don't think intake temps are the problem it's purely that the engine is producing more heat than the current cooling system can deal with. You tend to produce more btu's of heat per bhp with forced induction than N/A - even if this one is low boost.

Don't spend too much on it, only a couple of races left.

Yeah I know mate, if the reg's don't allow it next year I have a nice road car waiting on my driveway for the charger, so it won't go to waste.

clio cup
10mm is too far apart mate, You'll be trapping some very hot air their and the will restrict flow to the radiator,
So just to be clear, is it intake temps that are too high or water temps?
and what kind of water temps are you seeing?

10mm is too far apart mate, You'll be trapping some very hot air their and the will restrict flow to the radiator,
So just to be clear, is it intake temps that are too high or water temps?
and what kind of water temps are you seeing?

Intake temps are fine, but coolant and oil temps are very high!

I don't have an after market coolant gauge but the factory needle was buried in the red after 3 laps.

My oil temp gauge goes up to 150 degrees C and that was also bottomed out.

I'm amazed the engine didn't let go to be honest! But obviously I was well down on power in the second half of both races.