ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 road going track car - on a budget!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Update:

Few more things sorted:

Exhaust fitted
Passenger seat and harness fitted
Collected cage and bolted in loosely
Collected inlets

Pics to follow later if the weather pics up lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
What cage did u get mate? Looking forward to seeing this at the Cambs meet whenever that happens :)

Edit: Oh Dannys cage nice!! Im very jealous :) Also even though the bore is kinda wierd on that exhaust its quite loud with a de-cat lol :D

Discounted 1*2 parts
What cage did u get mate? Looking forward to seeing this at the Cambs meet whenever that happens :)

Edit: Oh Dannys cage nice!! Im very jealous :) Also even though the bore is kinda wierd on that exhaust its quite loud with a de-cat lol :D

Yea danny's old omp cage :)

Finishes off the interior nicely, not sure how much of the dash i want to strip out.

Not sure i want the exhaust much louder, i like it at the mo cos its jus a very subtle/quiet burble

Discounted 1*2 parts
Some pics.........

P1020382.jpg

Hamerite'd matched inlet manifold

P1020406.jpg

P1020410.jpg

Removed rub strips to spray

P1020408.jpg

P1020409.jpg

P1020411.jpg

Didnt get a particulally good finish but at least looks better than before. Looks better now they are black and not faded grey!

P1020437.jpg

P1020438.jpg

Thats all pics for today, car is filthy atm so will get some better pics once washed

Discounted 1*2 parts
did you not rub the bumpstrips down before painting them mate????

Yea but not very much thinking i may rub it down with some fine wet and dry and give another couple of thin coats of paint.

must admit i smothered them in SRP and polished them up. Now they are fitted to the car they look alright. No means 100% but then its a track **** so i'm not too fussed!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks like you painted them with a paintball gun??

But like you say, it matters diddly squat. Its for driving, not looking at!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Rough and ready eh? Nice work, although the rub strips could have done with some more TLC :p

haha yea i've had a hectic weekend trying to organise moving house and the side strips sort of got pushed to the back of the priority list

i'll make them look nicer in time :)

Discounted 1*2 parts
yo say your doing this on a budget....can i ask how much your budget is/was cos you must have spent a small forune by now;)

haha not spent a penny yet. i sold my 182 and bought this and all the associated parts

My budget is just about to run out so will buying parts will slow down a lot now!

Future mods:

OMP targa steering wheel
Remove head lining
Remove tar/sound deadening
Decat
Fit inlets
More strippage!

:eek::eek:Repaint rub strips!!!:eek::eek:

Discounted 1*2 parts
Had "Durun Sport Ones" on my pro races after buying them. The direction of the wheels had very little to do with the direction of travel.

Yea the tyres were pretty crap lol hence why michelins went on so quickly. Tyres transform a car.

Italian 3.2 V6
looking great!

spray the oz f1's black, put them back on the 172 n sell the pro's. money to put towards more mods.

;)

PSJ.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Did you use hammerite primer on your inlets? Hammerite does not adhere properley to aluminium without primer.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Next jobs:

- Fix in cage properly
- Remove tar/sound deadening
- Remove headlining
- Remove air con
- Remove as much of dash as possible
- Track days!!!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Liking the progress on this so far. What are your plans on dash? Sounds intriguing.

Well the guys at work are removing the air con for me and i basically have whatever you can leave out of the dash (without it looking shite) leave out!

So we'll see what he comes up with......

Discounted 1*2 parts
Some more progress yesterday as well

Removed all the tar sound deadening and the roof lining (another 10kg :))

P1020608.jpg

P1020609.jpg

P1020610.jpg

P1020613.jpg

P1020611.jpg

One of my birthday presents!!

P1020612.jpg

Picture of more poorly handpainted manifold! Again this will be done properly when the a/c comes out

P1020614.jpg

And the top mounts were creaking like a b*****d so i fitted some new ones before i had the 4 wheel alignment done. The old mounts literally crumbled as they came off and the bearing felt rough as you like!

P1020615.jpg

Discounted 1*2 parts
How did you get rid of the tar matey? Was it a pain in the ass? 10kg saving! Thats crazy

Used a heatgun to warm the tar and the glue up and then scraped it off with a wallpaper scraper

The seats i bought from here. You can buy them from JMS for around £800

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I got rid of the tar on the roof by leaving the car out in the sun so it melted alittle and made it really easy to peal off the sound deadeding. Tip for the the sticky stuff... use a paint brush to soak it with white spirit and leave it for 10 mins then use the scraper lightly and it will come off really easy. Good progress!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Had MOT today, needed a few bits and pieces to pass

- Brake imbalance by 65%!! That explains the brakes pulling to the left
- Washers not working

So had new discs and pads all round. Just went for the OE stuff as its 1/3 of the price of uprated bits

New washer pump fitted as well, now I have working washer jets!

Finally thought i'd have an oil/filter change, seems to run a little smoother now.

Getting cage bolted in properly next week so more pics to follow :)

Lotus Exige, 182
It's a false economy going for oe front brakes on a track car, imo. As soon as you get it on track, you'll get bad fade after a few laps. Brakes are the one thing that need upgrading on a standard 1*2 before track use.

Discounted 1*2 parts
It's a false economy going for oe front brakes on a track car, imo. As soon as you get it on track, you'll get bad fade after a few laps. Brakes are the one thing that need upgrading on a standard 1*2 before track use.

As the title of the thread says, this is on a budget. I want to uprate the discs at some point but havent got the spare cash at the moment. The brakes are s**t loads better than they were before hand so all is good at the moment.

If i experience massive brake fade after my track day i may reconsider the order i buy bits in

R26
autoglym instant tar remover will literally dissolve the tar glue s**t left tom, its amazing stuff, ive used it in mine