ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 road going track car - on a budget!

Discounted 1*2 parts
autoglym instant tar remover will literally dissolve the tar glue s**t left tom, its amazing stuff, ive used it in mine

cool thanks for that mate, eventually when the dash comes out i wanna get the interior sprayed too

Discounted 1*2 parts
UPDATE:

More strippage this weekend - its a mess at the moment but will be tidied up very soon :)
Extended B pillar legs on cage and bolted in

P1020704.jpg

P1020703.jpg

P1020705.jpg

P1020707.jpg

Took a couple more pics too.

P1020682.jpg

P1020652.jpg

P1020667.jpg

P1020660.jpg

Discounted 1*2 parts
How close is the cage too the steering wheel must be the photos but it looks close?
i love the cage colour :)

Lol it does look close in that pic dont it! There's loads of room between the 2 and will be even more when the smaller steering wheel goes on

Discounted 1*2 parts
cool
are u keeping ur cage that colour looks ace against the silver :)

not sure yet, gotta get the extention sprayed so may go for a different colour, as soon as i've tidied the wiring i'm getting the interior sprayed in a dark grey, so i'll decide what colour to do the cage then!

Good to meet you over the weekend and have a few good drives out on track, even if it was a bit slippery...

...and 4m40 onwards in this one...

Alex got quite a number of pics of your car on track too I think, ive got some of them here - will have a look through later and post them up :)

20100814160732.jpg

20100814160835.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

d6n

Ph2 172
was good to me to Tom, the bracket fits fine too, so thanks for that.

I loved this car, looked good on the track too!

Discounted 1*2 parts
thanks for that jord!

so as you can probably guess i've done my first track day in the 172 (mallory park for the RTOC national day), thoroughly enjoyed myself and now glad i started this project!! Can't wait for oulton park in september now.

Here's a few more pics that i've pinched off various people (had a couple of spins out-braking myself into the cooper esses!!)

clio.jpg

clio1.jpg

clio2.jpg

4895176619_ac376ffd20_z.jpg

4895177181_df4b16e3fa_z.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Discounted 1*2 parts
Also starting on tidying up the interior. didn't get much done as the wiper arms were seized on, but eventually got them off. Removed the alarm and wiring, also removed the rear washer piping.

More to follow.......

Discounted 1*2 parts
UPDATE:

Decided to takle the wiring mess today. This is what it looked like before!

P1020707.jpg

Cut out all the old electrics i am now not using

P1020883.jpg

I started the car each time i removed something to make sure everything was OK. The final thing i removed was a piece of plastic in the NS footwell that holds a block connector. However now I have a problem!! The car won't start! I also have no hazards, indicators, central locking, electric windows. To me it sounds like an electrical problem, but I have checked all the connections on the control units and everything seems fine.

Anybody got any ideas?

At least the interior looks a bit tidier now

P1020881.jpg

P1020882.jpg

Then got bored of trying to find the root of my problems so cracked open the tinnies!

P1020885.jpg

So as above, anyone have any ideas why my car now won't start??

Cheers

Discounted 1*2 parts
any luck with the car?

Yup, nice and simple in the end (which I hoped)

some of the wires I had cut had touched each other and blown 3 fuses. So replaced the fuses and now starting fine.

Noticed a small gearbox oil leak from the driveshaft seal which i'm going to replace before oulton park and also got a very slight missfire which we believe to be the HT leads so gunna have some new ones of those too :)

Tom

Discounted 1*2 parts
Bit more strippage this weekend...

P1030004.jpg

More sound proofing from behind the heater box and pedal assembly

P1030005.jpg

Removed this to tidy the wiring but not 100% sure whether I can leave it out, anyone know for sure??

P1030006.jpg

How it stands at the moment

P1030007.jpg

Started taping up the wiring looms again after removing everything

P1030008.jpg

Discounted 1*2 parts
Few pics from Oulton park as well (1st september 2010)

P1020986.jpg

P1020933.jpg

P1020891.jpg

Some nice blistering on the rear tyres

P1020892.jpg

Lost my bloody centre cap!!
P1030009.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Get that harness back in, not only will it no doubt add some strength to the front, but it's something to wrap the wiring around and tape it up.

Oh, and get some bloody bright blue leccy tape!! Would look so much better!