ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Upgrade/Tidy up

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so I've owned the car for about 4 years and have been slowly modding it over all that time so I thought it deserved a thread.

This car as a whole has been done on a pretty strict budget as during my entire ownership I've been a student, and since leaving uni I'm currently unemployed.

I've started this thread because with all the free time I currently have I'll be making lots more improvements. Sorry if this is a little lengthy....

How it all began

a.jpg

Then at 17, and before finding CS, I did what a lot of 17 year olds do, fitted the biggest damn wheels i could find... oh and a lovely exhaust, which i still miss!

b.jpg

b1.jpg

Then I found CS (wooo) and got me some Ph2 rear lights sharpish.

c.jpg

Then this arrived in the post from a member on here (AdamRS) and i soon fitted it just to see what it'd look like.

d.jpg

d1.jpg

I was then rear ended on the way home from work, only minor but I decided the make the most of it... got this through from Matta_88

e.jpg

Then courtesy of Mr Prajabbi I had the spoiler and the Ph2 rear bumper sprayed up for my inconvenience.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

I was really happy with this (especially considering it was all for free)

Next up I decide to make some improvements to the sound system, purchased myself an iPod compatiable headunit and the lead for it and some JBL 13cm speakers.

The basic mk2 ph1's don't even have speaker wire running to the rear speaker holes, so I went and got some decent speaker wire and run that to the rears. This headunit had an orange glow so fit in with the rest of the car so much better than the battered up pioneer one I had in before and with the iPod in the glove box, NO MORE CD's. (Possibly one of the best mods I've made so far)

f.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

Sound Quality massively improved I decided to tidy up the interior a little more with ph2 sport interior door handles

g.jpg

By this point I'd owned the car for quite some time, got a bit older and got fed up with the bad boy wheel image, so I purchased a set of 172 alloys of p4ers off here. These are one of my favourite mods to the exterior I have done.

h.jpg

h1.jpg

Next up, a bit more tidying up the exterior - purchased some flat blade windscreen wipers from opie oils, really love these, make such a difference in rain and generally clearing the screen when using wiper fluid.

i.jpg

To:
i1.jpg

Since fitting the headunit and speakers I'd loved the increase in sound quality but didn't quite have the volume or middle/bass I wanted, so after seeing a decent parcel shelf for sale on here I got this through the post and fitted a sub/amp too.

j.jpg

j1.jpg

The change in sound quality since fitting these is epic, most people who have been in the car cannot believe how loud/clear/crisp the sound is (I'm one of them)

Carrying on with interior mods, I saw a bargain come up and got myself a set of ph1 172 seats. So you can sort of see my horrible seats in these pics, but I didnt really take a proper picture before taking them out...

k.jpg

k1.jpg

To:

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

Love these, so much more supportive, and with more adjustment options on the drivers seat I can get a better driving position.

Now, the last mod I've done so far... Upgrading the exterior further with a set of dual optics. Big thanks to "evilgiraffe" off of here.

Made up a little wiring loom following the guide, (can make up another for anyone that needs one for a bit of cash ;) ) Really happy with the results..

l.jpg

l1.jpg

So this is how she stands today. Quite a long way from where it began but over the coming weeks months there will be some more changes, these include...

• Refurbing/spraying the 172 wheels amphasite ;)
  • Fitting eibach sportlines
  • Tidying up the paint work (a few patches inparticular)
  • Colour coding all the black trim
  • Ph1 gear stick
  • Remove fash and fit new headunit surround

ur megane r26
hey buddy lovely car, done really well with it congrats. Your the one who had the exhaust that I had on my 1.2 off of ebay wernt you? You say you still miss it? What happened... I still got my old one in the garage if you interested?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It got stolen... In the middle of the night someone got under the car and robbed me blind!!!! I'm tempted mate as i really loved it, but funding at the moment is low... Depends how much of an amazing offer you'd take on it! ;)

Cheerrs for the positive comments. When I finally find employment I'll get a 172 I think, but I love working on cars so making this one pretty is just something to do really.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's come really far, looks good.

Keep the wheels silver though!

This is what I can't decide one! The wheels need a refurb really, but doing them silver seems a bit of a waste? Smitchell round the corner from me has his done anthracite and they look bang on.

I was toying with the idea of white though? With the renault badges the same colour as the car?

Nice writeup, it's looking a lot better than before :)

Did yours not have a radio as standard then?

LOL!!!! It wasn't THAT poverty spec!!! It had a tape player as standard, running to only front speakers, there was no wiring running to the backs at all! Totally pants!
Oh! I thought you meant there was no wire running to the fronts either :eek:

Future plans sound good, be aware that Sportlines don't lower that much though! I was impressed at first but then it just had to go lower. Colourcoding sounds a good plan, you thought about ph2 doorstrips? Fogs area a must too! Keep us updated :)

ur megane r26
well mate i got no use for it anymore, sorry make me a sensible offer and see what i say lol, then ill find out how much postage would be unless you fancy a drive haha long old way though, and we can go from there mate, cant believe what some people do, rob you bling in the middle of the night, possibly have to jack the car up a bit as well to get underneath lol shocking,

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh! I thought you meant there was no wire running to the fronts either :eek:

Future plans sound good, be aware that Sportlines don't lower that much though! I was impressed at first but then it just had to go lower. Colourcoding sounds a good plan, you thought about ph2 doorstrips? Fogs area a must too! Keep us updated :)

Yeah had considered the ph2 door strips, nearly bough a pair a few times, but its always fell through, I'm kinda taking it as an omen. I'm not supposed to own ph2 strips.

I know sportlines don't go that low, but tbh I don't want to drop it on its ass, I just want it lower and to handle better. The apex alternative is often said to be too harsh too.

Oh and fogs? I wouldnt want them unless I wired them in, and thats so much hassle and expense. I am considering it, but as said this whole project has been on a very low budget.

Brownale I'll have a think and let you know.

Cheers for the comments/feedback.

Yeah had considered the ph2 door strips, nearly bough a pair a few times, but its always fell through, I'm kinda taking it as an omen. I'm not supposed to own ph2 strips.

I know sportlines don't go that low, but tbh I don't want to drop it on its ass, I just want it lower and to handle better. The apex alternative is often said to be too harsh too.

Oh and fogs? I wouldnt want them unless I wired them in, and thats so much hassle and expense. I am considering it, but as said this whole project has been on a very low budget.

Brownale I'll have a think and let you know.

Cheers for the comments/feedback.
Ah yes I'm forgetting that the plug for the fogs probably isn't there :( I had to buy some wiring for mine even though it was a Dynamique, some idiot had removed the fog light wiring but left the plug hanging down. I've had Apex and they aren't that much harsher than Sportlines, but Sportlines are brilliant for handling (had a set of those too). :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Coming on well mate, if I where you I would colour code and lower first though, makes so much difference

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Wheels are getting cleaned up first mate, only because they bug me every time I see it. Then lowering, then I'm going to colour code it, but I'll do it myself, so it may take a lot of time and practice, but time is something I have at the moment! Lol!

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I hate those first alloys wheels you had, they looked so woeful :eek:
But you got some sexy 172 wheels so goob job! Nice looking car now

Ph2 side strips
Front Foglamps are a must! :D

Where did you buy your wiper blades from by the way?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers for the comments. I know its no 172 but it's mine til I can afford something better.

Wipers are from opie oils, you get a discount through CS (he is a member).

Good value for money and are showing no signs of dying off.

Looks like next week should hold some lowering and a wheel refurb in anthracite. :D

I'm gonna try get some ph2 side strips before i start to CC it, but unsure at the moment, as with bullets and strips it gets quite expensive.

More updates Monday I guess.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so project "update" had two snags today....

First off I went to somewhere I knew I could get some bargain tyres from, but due to them being cheap, they scratched the cr@p out of my newly painted wheels, yes I actually wanted to cry.

Then whilst lowering the car the drive shaft decided to pop out and piss oil all over my drive.

Car is now alive once more, but only the front is lowered. Back will be lowered tmrw, followed by some VERY careful touch up/restoration where these IDIOTS mullered my wheels.

Expect clean and shiney, low and shiney wheels tmrw. :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
should of had a mare when they did that!
i would have gone spare!

my drive shaft came out when lowering,

if its any consolation, the rear springs are a piece of piss to do

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
looking great mate! ive doen pretty much the exact same to my clio! i did my 172 wheels black :) did you fit electric windows to it? thats what im trying to do to mine so i can get my sport doorcards in :D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I really like this car. Nice and clean and subtle. :D

Unlike my 10 inch penis. Its going to break down your doors motherfucker......

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
should of had a mare when they did that!
i would have gone spare!

my drive shaft came out when lowering,

if its any consolation, the rear springs are a piece of piss to do

Hope the rears really are that easy to do mate, tmrw morning that'll be. :D Just hope the bolts arent as tight as the passenger side ones.

Oh trust me mate I did throw a mare, a proper one, I got the tyres on a MASSIVE discount and an apology.

looking great mate! ive doen pretty much the exact same to my clio! i did my 172 wheels black :) did you fit electric windows to it? thats what im trying to do to mine so i can get my sport doorcards in :D

Stu, I already have electric windows mate, although I've never seen a clio with the same window switches I have...??

I'll get a pic up tmrw.

I really like this car. Nice and clean and subtle. :D

Unlike my 10 inch penis. Its going to break down your doors motherf**ker......

Cheers Dan, only 10" though? Like a twig in a cave....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok update time, yes its dirty and the pics are only iPhone but stilll... Clean pics in a few days.

Lowered and freshly refurbed wheels (with no centre caps for the time being)

Also after moaning like nuts about the tyre fitters a lot of it was just black off the tyre, and it came out with a rubbing compound, and what didnt i've managed to blow in with leftover paint, and you actually can't see it.

Anyways, enough chat...

m.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Oh and before anyone says it, I need to take the grille off and realign the headlight so that it doesnt push that trim out. This is why there is such a big gap there... A job for the weekend.

Oh and I couldn't be happier with how it looks and handles, better pics will be up after the w.e.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you look in the other thread Mike you'll see. Wasn't amusing but fine in the end.

Just an expensive mistake knocking it out. Not cheap for 3L of the of the stuff!!

MG ZR+ 105
nice car its similar to mine I am slowley ditching the 17 year old look you mentioned :p

I dont think i could drive a 1.2 for that long tho I cant wait to get my next car already

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Stu, I already have electric windows mate, although I've never seen a clio with the same window switches I have...??

I'll get a pic up tmrw.

ive never seen they switches either thats why i thaught you had put them in lol how much did you lower it by? looks good :) mines is at 40 atm, but going 60 in a few weeks hopefully
you should put colour coded mirrors on the to do list, they look 10x better imo but still, cars lookin great :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah mirrors are on the list, unofficially though! LOL

Its currently lowered 60 and I'm really happy with it tbh. The pics don't do it that much justice to be honest.

I'll give it a wash and take some pics on my drive the same as previous ones so you can see just how high it was!

Cheers for the comments yo'

More will be happening next week.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So I cleaned the car today and found some pictures of before it was lowered/wheel refurb'd, I tired to take some shots to mimc them to best show the difference.

Not looking bad for an 11yr old car IMO :)

Before

Comparisona2.jpg

After

Comparisonb1.jpg

Before

Comparisona3.jpg

After

Comparisonb3.jpg

Before

Comparisona1.jpg

After

Comparisonb2.jpg

Oh and an upclose pic of my hard work on the wheels.

Comparisonb5.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate, Its no impressive track project but its something to keep me occupied and learn on.

Gonna have a go at painting up some replica skirts next, if this goes well, i'll move onto side strips then front and back bumpers.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Went to see Rob today (TheEvilGiraffe) who helped me give the car its first half proper going over in practically forever...

Car was washed to get road dirt from the jourey off, we then clayed the car (for the first time EVER), attempted to remove tar spots with AG tar remover and failed, and finally SRP'd it.

The paintwork feels SO much better than before and has a great shine. Unfortunately we missed the sun so I'll try to take some pics tmrw.

Big thanks to Rob for the use of his facilities, products and forearms.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to tackle VERY old tar spots I'd love to hear it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It did look good. Clay bars FTW !!

Mini-meet tomorrow for some photos !? If you can think of anywhere decent to go that is.. I finish work at 1630.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I can't think of a single place to go !!

Well, I can, but not within an hour of Dartford. And mostly not in the UK haha !

Camber sands for photos, and then Hastings for fish and chips ? Thought not.

Robbos, if you ever read this .. let me know what the plan is. I'll be at work, off CS til 1630. Ba$tards make me work when I'm at work, damn it !!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ah sugar, can't do tmrw, spending it with the missus so I can go pick up some 172 door cards in the eveinng. (Look in for sale section for explanation)

Gotta drive all the way to uxbridge. Only time I could do is early, which is no good as you are working, sorry mate. Shame to let the hard work go to waste without a pic!!!

Damn! Could defo do a few pics on tues though?