ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH2 Restore > Road Going Go-Kart

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Well after long enough in the 1.2 8v clio >>http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=272863 I could no longer stand it, I needed more power & due to the insurance being… erm… under 2 grand I went on the hunt for a decent PH2 was tempted to go for the cup but the Full fat toys were a must.. well climate control & zenons were what I was really after.. so the hunt began!

After posting in the wanted section a ph2 came up, it was going cheap, very cheap! It needed a few bits doing here & there but I enjoy a project, well at least when its going to plan lol

So here were the pics I got sent

Cliobefore.jpg

04052008099.jpg

Cliobefore2.jpg

Was looking very chave but with 52k on the clock she was a diamond in the ruff.. so I drove from staines – Suffolk to go see it, well 3 hours later cash was parted & the ph2 was mine, finally after 2 years of wanting one I had got one!

So first job to give it a good clean, wasn’t filthy when I got it but I don’t think I have ever washed a car in under an hour lol, do love the whole thing looking spotless!

DSC00381.jpg

So all looked good after the clean, no body damage except for a small scuff on the lower bumper so I was happy

Now obviously it came with the turinins & carbon splitter in the sale which was ace as I was planning on getting them anyway

So first off on the restore – new no. plates, my mate sorted these out for me, so simple yet affective on improving the look, then closely followed by new wing mirrors, can not stand M3 mirrors.. although I did sell them for £25 on ebay – result!

So had to colour code the wing mirror covers, they were from a green dynamique so no chance of a match in the slightest, the result after spraying

DSC00426.jpg

Then 2 weeks later my Meguiars G220 cut them back to reveal true gloss

DSC00427.jpg

After that the de-badge of the halfords sport badge that was on the wrong side & then to source a new CLIO, SPORT & RENAULT badge, so off on ebay I went & the result

DSC00407.jpg

So then came time to source a head unit, standard wasn’t included in the sale, got money off there too so went & got my self a pioneer DEH -6000U, top bit of kit just a shame it didn’t have an orange colour back light to match the rest of the dash lights but it did have an usb rear port so I could finally be done with damm cd’s, so had a play & found a nice route into the glove box for the USB

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05082.jpg

So the car is kitted with a 1GB usb thumb drive hidden in the glove box, sweet me thinks!

Next job, service! Usually when ever I buy a vehicle I do a service as you never know what the previous owner has used or when it was done plus I did plan to use the car for what it was made for so some fresh 5w40 fully syn oil & NGK plugs were in aid.. oh & threw an ITG panel filter in there too!

So by now I had gotten used to the power of the 172 compared to my old 1.2 that is so I wanted more.. as you always tend too.. so the RS tuner kit was purchased.. well I must say I wasn’t sure what it would be considering it was half the price of the k-tec version plus you get diagnostics software & the performance analyzer too! But all I can say is, Top job hank & the guys at fast chip, car is much stronger in the lower RPM also the nearer 8,000rpm rev limiter is mental, 75mph in second gear! Yea baby yea!!!

Couple weeks went buy & the crave to buy a cup spoiler went on the list of things to buy, I think the standard 172 spoiler doesn’t give the back any sort of aggression where as the cup one is still subtle but at the same time just looks much smarter in my opinion any way lol, so the same method of spraying & cutting back like I did with the wing mirror covers was used

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

Really do love what the Meguiars G220 can do, the pics really do speak for them selves, big thanks to Matt at i4detailing for getting my much needed detailing products to me in rapid time

Next, Exhaust, really hated how it looked so chavy hanging that low but didn’t wanna spend £350 on a new system when the current power flow was in great nick so had a play with the bracket & managed to get it a lot higher but was still not happy so the hanger met a blow torch for some forced improvement!

How it hangs now, Nice! Just gotta source a 182 surround for it or something now to tidy it up, i put a guide together in the guide section if any one has a similiar prob

DSC00432-1.jpg

So my PH2 was heading in the right direction, but I had been thinking about making a sort of a road going track car, & since the original interior was already half way there & some sparcos installed it was on the right tracks, but from day one I have never been happy with the sparco’s, they are very comfy & supportive, much better than the stocks but I really wanted some hard core race seats so I have been hunting but I will reveal later on when I’m sure what to do with the interior.. how it stands at the moment

DSC05087.jpg

Next on the list was discs, standards were over 2mm grooved in so they were in need of doing fairly quick, so £90 later the Brembo max discs were installed

DSC00847.jpg

Another little cool mod that caught my eye was the mazda aerial, so £12 lighter there you have it, nice tidy aerial that looks & performs it also fits much better than the ctr ones

DSC05086.jpg

After seeing Tonyt thread on he’s carbon interiror strips I just had to have some, I felt it was much needed to give my 172 that race look, at first I was worried that I had purchased them with out seeing them in the flesh but since Tony offered 100% money back garuntee I couldn’see myself loosing out, also baring in mind he came In £40 cheaper than any where else & belive me did I go hunting!

So here are the new carbon trims & steering wheel insert installed, very happy with the quality of Tonys work & communication, I would highly recommend him to any one that is after any custom carbon fibre work, these pictures don’t do the weave any justice, they look spot on in the flesh, so nex bits for tony, dial surrounds & door pulls, If you need any thing special doing drop him a pm, username - Tont

DSC05081.jpg

DSC05084.jpg

Coil overs were next in line, the decision is FK’s so thanks to lumca off here I got a decent discount on them, hopefully the’ll be with me before the end off the month, as soon as they arrive I will have them fitted asap, really just wanna drop it 35-40mm low enough to look tidy but high enough to avoid removing the carbon splitter lol

De-cat to be installed to finish the exhaust sytem, purchased from gray of here, hopeing to free up some more power there also some improved torque which would be nice

So the List of plans

* Move the Batterey to the boot
* Remove the 90 degree induction bend > 45 degree & hopefully squeeze an tig maxogen where the battery was, well atleast I hope!
* Source a light weight battery that comes in around 10kg max that can work happily with all the 172’s toys
* Get the Inlets matched at Angel works
* Source bucket seats that weigh less than 8kg each
* remove the claimed 15-20kg’s of sound deadning
* Source braided brake lines & change brake fluid

So as you can probably gather, its going with a light weight chassis that still has luxurious to make me happy to drive it on a daily basis

If any one has any advice / input on the planned mods would be ace to hear your views, mainly on the induction kit side

& How My little beast stands at the moment :cool:

DSC00438.jpg

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Re: ** PH2 RESTORE >> ROAD GOING GO-KART **

Thanks mate :cool: , gotta get the FK's, its sitting so dam high lol

320d

Good project mate, looks great atm, not to sure on the sparco's though, i would sell them on and get recaro's.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Yea i wanna change the sparco's.. not for recaros but full carbon fibre seats :D .. there so bloody expensive though :dapprove: .. will have to live with the sparco's as they came with the car & really dont want standard's as there is just not enough support when flying along as you do

cheers for the comments James, glad you like the carbon trim, you know where I am if you need anything..

Tony

Audi TT 3.2 V6

Car looks great mate. Really envious of you. Ill be so glad when ive completed my apprenticeship and have some spare cash to spend on subtle mods.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

I'm an apprentice too, know how you feel lol, worked my arse off, 12 hour days = time & half salary & no time to spend it lol, done it all including insurance with out even a sniff of a loan :approve:

Audi TT 3.2 V6

Well done mate. i must confess i have a loan as i started my apprenticeship when i was 19 and couldnt get to work without a car as we live in the sticks essentially. This meant i had to have a loan which is a vicious circle as one you have a car and are repaying the loan as well as running it it means you have no cash left to save. Well i kinda do but kinda dont as a save £100 a month towards road tax, holidays and christmas.

Once qualified im hoping in 12months im hoping to save the extra £4-500 a month to pay of my loan early.

How are you finding the headunit? its one of the best fitting ones ive seen in the clio. Alot look out of place with the dash having a slight curve on the edges

Anymore info on the fastchip software as well? im very tempted by that.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Thats fair enough mate, was in the same boat when i bought my little 125cc run around motorbike 2 years ago, although cleanred that loan from my mum in 5 weeks, hate oweing money.. Surviveing fairly well at the mo.. but the boss has sent me to work in london & the f**king fuel prices!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Head unit is sweet mate, as said only flaw being the colour options at night, love the rear entry USB, all outta site, its also £10 cheaper than when i bought it a month ago - http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/7937.html

Did need abit of work with the dremel to get the cage to fit spot on but i'm fairly handy with the tools so no real trouble :cool:

fiesta 1.25

Great work!car looks 10x better now.If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay?

Petrol Blue 182.

jamesstone, i think you need to drive over and take me for a spin!! then detail my car :cool:

corsa ecoflex

you know what i think about the car mate..its spot on even tho i still havent been out in it yet

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Couz you'll get your go in the little beast thursday ;), can take you out when ever ivan mate, show you what the rstuner really does :D , Are there some good roads round the shire meet then for us to have some fun? new area to me!

Thanks for all the comments guys, still a working project but havin fun so far :cool:

Petrol Blue 182.

yeah, the road the pubs on is the roads we went down on the bracknell meet mate

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo

looks nice mate good work and a good shine on the silver paint you coming to the ally pally meet

M2 Competition

Looking good dude! Will have a look at that bumper surround in a bit...

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

I got you a present... ;)

You the man :D , did it come off okay then mate? though it was glued on with mega stuff? how come you got a smart car then pep???

M2 Competition

It came off fine, looks as new! Will stick it in car so i dont forget it thursday.

Pm in a bit ;)

looks good,glad the number that i got is helping other people get cheaper fk's!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Is that your find then mate, nice work :D , gonna call tomorrow & place an order, couldnt get hold of him friday, didnt wanna call him on the weekend so will ring lunch time tomorrow ;) , does he run a shop or some thing then? just thinking payment wise

its his personal business he runs out of his work hours and stores the kits in his grandads garage.he does vw mainly as hes a vw geek!!mate ordered some for his vw and i got his number and got a price of 425,70 quid cheaper than anywhere else!so passed the number round to phreebone to limca to you.lol.word of mouth ftw!lol

RS Clio 172 Phase 2

very interested to see your progress in relation to thw battery relocation and 45 degree inlet and moxogen!

keep up the good work lad, looking lush!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Thanks guys :), bloody weather is stopping the de-cat install though :mad:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

** Update **

De-cat has been installed :cool: :evil: :cool: , best mod to date on the 172 so far, the sound is ace, really brings the power flow to life! only had a 20min drive, & it was in the wet :dapprove: so was alot of spin up more than anything but the engine feels alooooot more responsive plus the torque seems to be good, oh & the rasp noise :eek:...

After the ball ache of fitting for 3 afternoons, in the rain! i sourced some longer nuts & bolts out, makes the job 100 times easyer, the standard ones are just too short, well i found any way..

Fk coilovers have been payed for & will hopefully be with me next week :cool:

Another day on the drive way.. great.. lol

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Thanks mate ;) , The new carbon seats i'm after look lussssh :cool:, coil overs have destroyed the apprentice salary this month though so no chance of them for a couple of weeks lol

330Ci (Fail)Sport

It looks great mate! Much better than when you bought it, but what a steal it was!

Can't wait to hear it and see it in the metal!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Thanks mate :) , may bring you over to the ph2 side if i took you out in it :eek: , thing sounds superb :evil:, couzens was blasted round staines in it this morning lol.. agh the noise of de-cat :approve:

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Haha, you can try your best but think I'll be sticking to a ph1 lol look forward to seeing it mate, can take me for a spin if you reeeaaallllyy wanna try and convince me ;)

Focus RS Mk1

how much did you pay for the carbon trim peices on the insde?

are they proper carbon or imitations?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

There real carbon fibre weave laid on top of the original piece then coated in laquer, in other words there is no diffrence in the looks compared to an item that is made completey from carbon fibre.. the diffrences lies in the weight & those dash inserts can only way a couple hundered grams any way lol, so basically dont expect any performance gains, just the look, which is - Sex!! :cool: lol

Pm - tonyt for prices, Think he has only one set left mate

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

So moving on with the questions as i'm burning time tonight on the lappy top..

1. Whats the best way to go about removing the carpets to access the sound deadning? plan to remove it all this weekend to get the little 172 lighter :cool:

2. what will i need to remove the rear wiper, what size grommet fills the hole?

3. Any one know whats the minium size ampage battery a full fat 172 could run on with out any probs, have heard of light weight battereys that come in under 10kgs :cool: , cant remeber where i found these or how much they were, any one got any decent pics of the cup racers & what the stats are on them, like what battereys they use etc?

James

RS Clio 172 Phase 2

some of the guys in Aus are running a lightweight odessy battery that comes in at around 6-7kgs.

has something like a massive 550 cca for 4 seconds and 400+ for 10 seconds but wont do anygood if you wanted to sit there with the barry white on trying to seduce the women!