ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phase 1 Renault 9 Turbo

It's not, they are usually all the same way around. Thats why it seems odd to me.

No, I was measuring with a micrometer

Absolutely 100% it's the original part

Small end is fine, checked that.

Checked that too, it's normal. It's defo the big end as it turns fine when the big end is finger tight and only goes stiff when I torque it.

It was a running engine when I stripped it, and I set it to TDC to disassemble and I f it was this stiff i'm sure I would have noticed it.

Thanks for the input though. It HAS to be something to do with the rod/cap. I guess i'll have to pull it out again and take it to a machine shop to check the big end for roundness in case it was bent, damaged or something when the pistons were fitted.
I guess then as @Rob G suggests, what stops you turning the whole rod?

Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree, if the crank is known to be good then the next thing would be measuring the inside of the rod for roundness.

Nothings ever easy and it sounds like you've got a good handle on it

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
It's not that the little end has been installed 180deg out is it? Been a long time since I've built an engine, but could you try rotating the piston 180deg in the cylinder so that the big end cap is aligned the same as all the other 4?
The big end cap & rod have locators for tabs on the bearing shells. These tabs must be on the same side/faced together.

01.png

If I keep all the tabs on the same side of the engine then this one cap faces the other way up to the rest. If I put it so the cap orients the same as the rest, the side with the tabs will be on the other side of the crank as you look at it compared to the rest. I compared the odd one with a normal one and they are mirror imaged in setup - it seems my one odd rod/cap has had the tabs ground in differently.

It shouldnt matter though, the bearing shouldnt be tight and it was fine when I took it apart. I even went over my disassembly pics and unfortunately I dont have anything detailed enough to show the big end caps before I took it apart.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I guess then as @Rob G suggests, what stops you turning the whole rod?

Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree, if the crank is known to be good then the next thing would be measuring the inside of the rod for roundness.

Nothings ever easy and it sounds like you've got a good handle on it
I've taken ID measurements with a mic, it's round as far as I can tell to the nearest 0.1mm, I think I need someone with more accurate kit to have a look at it...

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I took it apart again, cleaned everything AGAIN and examined the shells closely - what I had neglected to do before it seems was look closely at the back of the shell and I found a splodge of something on the back of one of the shells. Maybe a squshed bit of oily cardboard or something? I dunno but it needed a bit of effort to get it off, it wouldnt just wipe off which I guess is why it didnt come off when I wiped the shell off and dipped it in oil to assemble.
Once I cleaned that up I reassembled it and it now moves pretty freely, enough so to make me talk myself into leaving it as-is. So...back on with the oil pump, dipstick tube and sump.

x20210605_154026_RS.jpg

Then I chucked the cam in and the timing gear, new chain & tensioner thanks to Mike @ GT Turbo spares.

x20210605_154118_RS.jpg

Timing cover on and torqued up, then fitted the 36-1 trigger wheel for the EFI conversion that Brigsy sorted me out with :) although now I am wondering if it'd be easier to just get the same flywheel he used on the extra while this is apart and poach his trigger wheel settings LOL

x20210605_171513_RS.jpg

Sump also now refitted, left it for the goop to go off a bit.

x20210605_171518_RS.jpg

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Welded the belt pulley to the keyed crank drive

x20210620_154929_RS.jpg

Set it to TDC, aligned the 36-1 at 90° after TDC and welded that on too. Not very good welds, don't think I had the power high enough. Might redo it at some point!

x20210620_162853_RS.jpg

Cleaned up the flywheel, and dug out the clutch I bought for it - I purchased this before my daughter was born as it was just starting to slip under load when my (now-ex) Mrs stopped driving it when she was pregnant. Daughter is 16 this year
rofl.gif

x20210620_170128_RS.jpg

x20210620_170132_RS.jpg

Then I cleaned up the back housing of the water pump, it looked fiddly so I got my sand blaster out - turned out OK! It looked like this before

x20210620_185800_RS.jpg

And after ten minutes of sand blasting

x20210620_175041_RS.jpg

x20210620_175045_RS.jpg

Bolted that together with the new pump and new bolts after chasing the threads out with an M6 tap.

x20210620_181015_RS.jpg

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Head resurfaced and valves lapped in

x20210620_181855_RS.jpg

Bunged it on along with the bucket tappets, pushrods and rocker shaft, took me a few mins of puzzlement to figure out why the rocker shaft wouldnt go on but there is a cutout on the shaft that sits on the side of the studs/bolts. Didn't realise that (well, I must have known as I did loads of these back in the day, i'd just forgotten!) but anyway once the shaft was correctly rotated it slipped on easy and now the engine turns and the valves actuate like they should.

x20210620_185015_RS.jpg

Left it there as time was cracking on and it was time for a chilled beverage and some F1 :)

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Fitted a temp sensor in the head end plate, stuck the clutch and flywheel on...

x20210703_160243_RS.jpg

Removed a broken exhaust stud i'd forgot about

x20210703_160746_RS.jpg

Found the old exhaust manifold wont fit with the new EFI inlet, so have sourced an R5 GTT one to use with it. They're different to the early R9 ones.

x20210703_170327_RS.jpg

x20210703_170338_RS.jpg

Bunged the gearbox on instead

x20210704_183802_RS.jpg

x20210704_183746_RS.jpg

Then assembled my yummy new headlights and backplates. I don't need them yet but I just wanted to :) Took me literally years to source all the components for the front end!

x20210703_175405_RS.jpg

x20210703_175409_RS.jpg

Now I got to get that lump down off the bench somehow lol

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Exhaust manifold sorted and bolted up :) thanks to sparkie and Clarkey for helping out with that!

I managed to get the lump off the bench, bolted a few more things back on and chucked it on the subframe. Needs a new gearbox mount so thats ordered along with steering rack gaiters, then some fuel hose and a new fuel pump & filter too.

x20210718_152030_RS.jpg

Needs a gearbox mount, forgot about this, found one online and ordered it, will give the bracket a clean up too, must have put it aside due to the broken mount and it didnt go to the blasters.

x20210718_150038_RS.jpg
x20210718_150041_RS.jpg

Next step is to get the inside of the tank coated then I can bolt that on and run some fuel lines, once thats on I should be able to put the rear axle back on too.