ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
matt your website looks class!! Fantastic portfolio and pictures too! id love to shoot weddings but i hate pressure.. wedding are full of it! i much prefer the laid back landscape approach lol. but i guess you adjust to being a wedding photographer after your first few.

its just a shame weddings is wear the majority of the money is at in photography!

Iv just started selling canvases this last couple weeks and the profit margins art great by the time iv paid somebody to print and frame them up, then delivery etc etc. 😧
Thanks, the site still is a work in progress. I will get it finished soon enough, just needs some tweaks. I really don't feel pressure at weddings, I enjoy them and I am really relaxed enjoying what I do, yes there are stressful moments but thats just like any job. You do get used to them and get in to a ryhthm which sometimes can be a bad thing, esspecially when you want to be creative.
I have done landscape work, automotive work and explored many different areas of photography but, shooting people is what I enjoy and weddings are part of that.
Check out smugmug its great for selling stuff, I upload my finsihed wedding galleries to it and the customers friends, relatives can order through it. Its a great way to sell, they use loxley colour for printing and you can set your own pricing and profit margins. Once setup you can link it with 500px etc and market your work.

I have sold a few prints over Facebook but haven't made much profit.
I could if I used poor quality materials but my print cost me £13, Mounts were £5 and frame £20 (fairly cheap for the quality of it but I got a good price through my camera club). Add time to that for collection of prints, frame etc and you are left with very little. Sold it for £50. A3 print size.

I need to look in to getting some more local shots and look at selling them at craft/country fairs this summer.

So £12 profit?
Its a lot of work for £12.

I looked into framing and mounting A3 prints and i was looking at £50+!!! So a great price for your frame, can i ask where?
If your looking at £50 for a frame and £13 a print, its an expensive £63 before you have added anything and posted it.

I have sold a few prints over Facebook but haven't made much profit.
I could if I used poor quality materials but my print cost me £13, Mounts were £5 and frame £20 (fairly cheap for the quality of it but I got a good price through my camera club). Add time to that for collection of prints, frame etc and you are left with very little. Sold it for £50. A3 print size.

I need to look in to getting some more local shots and look at selling them at craft/country fairs this summer.

So £12 profit?
Its a lot of work for £12.

I looked into framing and mounting A3 prints and i was looking at £50+!!! So a great price for your frame, can i ask where?
If your looking at £50 for a frame and £13 a print, its an expensive £63 before you have added anything and posted it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, £12 profit! Take away delivery (luckily they have been local) and time actually taking the shot/putting the finished product together and you really don't make much.

The frame is from a small frame maker in North Wales.

It's pine but stained. I'm hoping to get a better price on some hard wood frames, even looking to make them myself. It's not that hard just time and space consuming.

One of the finished prints (quick phone shot for customer)

2972f23aad1241a4ec925d41433706ef.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Mounting prints is expensive, but don't undersell yourselves, people will pay for quality work. Its worth investing some money in to some examples, sell online, try and find a local shop who are willing to sell your work and take a commission.

Looks good Aaron. You say A3? Think you could up your price.
I've just dropped 2 prints off to be framed at a local place. They are pretty thin frames but with mounts for about £35.
I may give this a go.
Don't really use Facebook so will have to find where best to advertise and sell.

Where online would you suggest Matt?
I asked in a local art shop, was told it's hard to sell photographs. Selling locally with a commission would be ideal tho.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It is A3 Tony. I really should up my price. I haven't tried that much to sell my images, just to a couple of people through word of mouth.

I have asked a few shops that are local to me. One of them wanted £100 per year membership fee, a full days unpaid work each week AND 25% commission of sales! One of the three I wouldn't mind but all three take the piss.
The other shops want paintings, not photography.

I might nip to a new gallery that opened before Christmas, I did ask about displaying images and they weren't taking people until later on this year. I'll take some of my other framed images in on the off chance. Some of them are fairly small, the largest is A3.

Italian 3.2 V6
Great advice matt, il look Into it.

Well after I have paid a discount price for canvases to be made up I just add on 40% profit and delivery is ontop. Sold 3 so far from a small order of 9 so start with. Aiming to sell a batch per month. Money I make il just keep firing back I to buying bigger bulk orders which will generate a better bulk discount too :smiley:, fingers crossed anyway.

Advertisement I'm looking Into showing my work in local shops too but mainly like aaron it's through word of mouth and Facebook too as it's free! I'm put off eBay due to selling fee's etc.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
After having my Canon 500D now close to 5 years and starting to get more confident with the settings, I'm thinking more now about getting an upgrade and sell mine on. Was thinking of getting the Canon 750/760 which is near my price range or push further and get the Canon 70D.

What are people's thoughts?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly, stick with the 550 for the time being and invest in decent glass that will work on full frame and crop.
Did you get a zoom? If not maybe get a 70-200? I doubt you'll notice any image quality difference between the 550 and 750/70 tbh. The 70 will be a heavier body, slightly more robust but very similar internally to your current body.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Honestly, stick with the 550 for the time being and invest in decent glass that will work on full frame and crop.
Did you get a zoom? If not maybe get a 70-200? I doubt you'll notice any image quality difference between the 550 and 750/70 tbh. The 70 will be a heavier body, slightly more robust but very similar internally to your current body.
Thanks will do, so down the line is full frame cameras the way to go say 5D?
just got the 50mm 1.8 the other day, nah haven't got a zoom yet. Lass from class has let me borrow her zoom.
I'm off to Newcastle tomorrow get my camera repaired looks like I may have dirt on the sensor again, dots on the photos. And the lenses have never been off. No idea how this has happened? Then off to take photos after with the zoom and 50mm.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks will do, so down the line is full frame cameras the way to go say 5D?
just got the 50mm 1.8 the other day, nah haven't got a zoom yet. Lass from class has let me borrow her zoom.
I'm off to Newcastle tomorrow get my camera repaired looks like I may have dirt on the sensor again, dots on the photos. And the lenses have never been off. No idea how this has happened? Then off to take photos after with the zoom and 50mm.
Also, been looking at Amazon can get a Canon 6D for £1150 Body Only. What's peoples thoughts on the 6, the 5 is too much money for me.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If you get that body only, the only lens you have that will work is the 50mm unless you have got something else recently? If that's the case, then you will be really limited on what you can shoot.
Invest in decent glass first. You will be able to get the 6d body cheaper in the future.

Big difference between crop and full frame though. I'm glad I made the jump to a 6d but was contemplating it for a good year before I did.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Also, been looking at Amazon can get a Canon 6D for £1150 Body Only. What's peoples thoughts on the 6, the 5 is too much money for me.
Not being funny but are you attempting to run before walking ?!
Don't think you've had time to explore the 550 yet .. and being brutal - I've not seen anything you've taken recently that I couldn't have out done with my phone camera.

Buying a fancy camera is like buying a supercar .. just because you can, doesn't mean you're going to be a better driver ;)

M2 Comp
Hi all,

Hope this is ok to post in here. I am looking to purchase an external flash to be used with a Nikon D3300 and Sigma 10-20mm lens. It is worth mentioning that the camera is used at work (estate agency).

Since we purchased the 10-20mm lens this has highlighted the need for an external flash; quite often when taking photos there are prominent shadows that no amount of editing seems to fix.

Can anybody recommend an external flash? Also is it possible to set the flash so that it is permanently on? Any general tips / advice would be very much appreciated.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Not being funny but are you attempting to run before walking ?!
Don't think you've had time to explore the 550 yet .. and being brutal - I've not seen anything you've taken recently that I couldn't have out done with my phone camera.

Buying a fancy camera is like buying a supercar .. just because you can, doesn't mean you're going to be a better driver :wink:
I'm only getting opinions at the minute, nice to know what people think on the full fame ones. Be a good couple of years before I make a jump on getting a new one. And yes I know my pictures aren't that good compared to you lot I've still got a L plate on. Is it worth getting decent EF lenses then other than EFS? Just got the 50mm Aaron at mo

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm only getting opinions at the minute, nice to know what people think on the full fame ones. Be a good couple of years before I make a jump on getting a new one. And yes I know my pictures aren't that good compared to you lot I've still got a L plate on. Is it worth getting decent EF lenses then other than EFS? Just got the 50mm Aaron at mo
Ok but you sounded like you were going to buy a 6D tonight on Amazon ;)
Use your 550 for a while and in a year or two if you've still got the bug and want to upgrade, get a 2nd hand 5/6/xD.
I'd love full frame but as per Aaron, it'll cost me a fortune to change as only one of my lenses is compatible with full-frame [EF].

Italian 3.2 V6
Defo keep the 550 for now mate. Everyone thinks the same - upgrading the camera will improve pictures and make them a better photographer, unfortunately this isn't the case. But I agree on upgrading your lens's is the way to go first before upgrading the body. work on composition, Composition and imagination is key no matter what equipment you've got.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Defo keep the 550 for now mate. Everyone thinks the same - upgrading the camera will improve pictures and make them a better photographer, unfortunately this isn't the case. But I agree on upgrading your lens's is the way to go first before upgrading the body. work on composition, Composition and imagination is key no matter what equipment you've got.
Yeah will do, work on my ideas on the picture and get decent lenses.

Thanks for the help people, I'm just exited that's all and rushing. I need to slow down.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Picked this up today. Print looks really good framed. Only a 12x10 print, I'm just waiting to deliver it now.
I'm thinking of selling this size at £45. I have had an enquiry about a 36x24 print too but they don't want it framed. I can get one of those local for £35 so probably sell it for around £60. If it was a framed print I'd probably go for £120.
Thoughts on the prices?

Anyone use online printing? How does it get delivered? Flat or rolled up? I've had rolled up prints before and I'm not keen when framing them.

d6ec1472d48de5834cb6a988c329a4be.jpg

Italian 3.2 V6
i was the same mate. i think everyone is to begin with, but unfortunately its just practice practice practice which is key. better equipment does help in some aspects, but if i wasn't trying to make money from my work id easily sell up my 5dii buy a body half the price as the 5d wouldn't be needed! you can get brilliant results from xxxd crop sensor body's.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Been looking at the chat properly from Page 1 now up too 17. Know a few more things by reading what you lot have posted for e.g. been using F22 for night pics some of you say you can drop the F number slightly to get more sharpness depends on circa anyway. Sigma 10-20 has come up quit a bit and 24-105 would be a good shout. Is it true stay away from the 4.5F on the 10-20 lens as it isn't as sharp? go for a lower F number?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
With the 10-20 it's sharpest across the whole picture at f8. If you go down to 4 then the edges will be a bit softer.
The 24-105 is OK. It's what I use at the moment. Not the fastest but it is handy for a walk about lens. I'll be upgrading in the future though to two faster lenses I think.

Picked this up today. Print looks really good framed. Only a 12x10 print, I'm just waiting to deliver it now.
I'm thinking of selling this size at £45. I have had an enquiry about a 36x24 print too but they don't want it framed. I can get one of those local for £35 so probably sell it for around £60. If it was a framed print I'd probably go for £120.
Thoughts on the prices?

Anyone use online printing? How does it get delivered? Flat or rolled up? I've had rolled up prints before and I'm not keen when framing them.

d6ec1472d48de5834cb6a988c329a4be.jpg

Looks good Aaron.
Depends on cost but id possibly aim a little higher that £45.

35x24? Thats bigger than A2, will be a big big print. Id say £60 isn't enough.

Ive only ever bought prints online (not many mind you) I've had some come rolled and some come flat. The next ones i order will be A2 size, think id rather they come rolled. You just need to flatten then out for a day before framing.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good Aaron.
Depends on cost but id possibly aim a little higher that £45.

35x24? Thats bigger than A2, will be a big big print. Id say £60 isn't enough.

Ive only ever bought prints online (not many mind you) I've had some come rolled and some come flat. The next ones i order will be A2 size, think id rather they come rolled. You just need to flatten then out for a day before framing.

That cost me £20 printed and framed so I thought £45 would be about right.
Yeah I've been thinking about the 36x24, it's going to be a massive print. It is for a family friend but I think I might charge a bit more, and then more if it was someone else. I've got to give her a price later.

I suppose it depends how big they are for delivery. I had some which came rolled and they took ages to flatten out. There were rolled pretty tight though. The print I'll be getting is from a local company so I'll hopefully be able to keep it fairly flat.

Italian 3.2 V6
Aaron can you not just sell it as a print?

Prints (framed too) are probably have a better profit margin over canvases.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Aaron can you not just sell it as a print?

Prints (framed too) are probably have a better profit margin over canvases.
I am selling it as a print. The 36x24 is to go in a frame that they already have so she just wasn't the print.

Haven't looked into canvases yet.

M2 Comp
Hi all,

Hope this is ok to post in here. I am looking to purchase an external flash to be used with a Nikon D3300 and Sigma 10-20mm lens. It is worth mentioning that the camera is used at work (estate agency).

Since we purchased the 10-20mm lens this has highlighted the need for an external flash; quite often when taking photos there are prominent shadows that no amount of editing seems to fix.

Can anybody recommend an external flash? Also is it possible to set the flash so that it is permanently on? Any general tips / advice would be very much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Ok but you sounded like you were going to buy a 6D tonight on Amazon :wink:
Use your 550 for a while and in a year or two if you've still got the bug and want to upgrade, get a 2nd hand 5/6/xD.
I'd love full frame but as per Aaron, it'll cost me a fortune to change as only one of my lenses is compatible with full-frame [EF].

I appreciate your help too, nah not really I have been looking on Canon UK for specs on the camera. Just a good luck It is tempting like but no get use to the camera. I'm doing the advanced course in April another 10 weeks on that and only got 3 more Wednedsay Beginners classes to go. Been looking at this one to replace my stock 18-55mm , will this be an improvement over it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-24-105mm-3-5-5-6-STM-Lens/dp/B00NLBGCYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424900083&sr=8-2&keywords=canon ef 24 105
I'm off this weekend so be out during the daytime practicing out some slow shutter speeds on rivers and clouds. Haven't done any of that yet which I love to get the hang off, my kind of photos them like.

Which Sigma 10-20mm EF Lens to fit my Canon 500D seems to be quit a few models on Amazon. I like taking Landscapes so I would need a lens for that or would my Canon 50mm 1.8 would be ok? Is it this one I should go for http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Z5XKC6/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That sigma 10-20 lens will be fine for you for your 500d. It won't work on full frame though (apparently it will but you'll get a lot of vignetting, I haven't tried it so I'm not sure)

As for the zoom, it might be worth looking for a 24-105 f4. They both work on Full frame and crop but you'll get a constant f4 through the zoom range rather than 3.5 at 24mm and 5.6 at 105mm.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Any thoughts on this guys?

I'm not sure on Nikon flashes.
Why has this highlighted the need of a flash? What lens were you using before that? And are the settings the same?

I'm sure Nikon make flashes, as Canon do. Might be worth checking Talk Photography for some advice on there.

As for the settings on the flash, it will all depend on how good the flash is. I've got a couple of canon flashes and they differ massively with what they can do.

R26
I have a Nikon SB-910, mainly because I wanted the extra reach and power outdoors, for taking pictures inside something with less power like the SB-700 would be fine.

What mode are you shooting in? From memory you can force flash on in everything except full auto and the no flash auto modes.

Aaron, the 10-20mm lens will be casting a shadow in the frame due to the width of it and the close proximity of the built in flash.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
That sigma 10-20 lens will be fine for you for your 500d. It won't work on full frame though (apparently it will but you'll get a lot of vignetting, I haven't tried it so I'm not sure)

As for the zoom, it might be worth looking for a 24-105 f4. They both work on Full frame and crop but you'll get a constant f4 through the zoom range rather than 3.5 at 24mm and 5.6 at 105mm.

Think this lens will sort me out for a while http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-ultra-wide-angle-zoom-lens-20859508-pdt.html

17-40mm Full Frame eventually when i get it. But it's about 28-70mm on APS-C which is kind of the range i'm wanting plus it's a L lens too, be a good replacement of the kit lens i think. Gone off the other two i mentioned now.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I have my 10-20mm up for sale currently mate (check out the for sale section) , it's on eBay now but can see if I can take it off if you wanted it.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

Yep - that's correct, it works however you can't really get any usable photos out of it!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I have no idea what's going on with my camera? I'm shooting in AV and its fine. But M and TV mode and all my shots are coming out completely white on my display. Tried exposure compensation and tried ISO and other stuff and still the same, any ideas what it could be? I've noticed in the past it's done this before I just thought it was me or is it?