ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

1.8 Civic EX
was going to start a new thread but thought I'd just ask in here...

What about the in-car shots. You know the ones, usually taken at night, camera is somehow mounted to the passenger seat headrest, with a long(ish) shutter, so all the dash etc is clear in focus but out the window is all motion blur looking like your doing a bizzillion miles an hour.

How do you mount the cam? and what sort of settings would be used? I've tried a few times but the cam never stays still enough for a smooth/clear pic

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
6643700005_1839154f31_z.png

IMG_2816 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

22 sec ƒ/11 ISO 200 10 mm

I put it on a tripod, seat belted it up, rear belt through the strap to help support and use a remote shutter !

Got an example of what you shot ?

1.8 Civic EX
The best one I have was from a while ago when I still had the Clio, and was shot during the day rather than at night...

eb94fd924299b5b7c7f3cea12a39d38d.jpg

was going to start a new thread but thought I'd just ask in here...

What about the in-car shots. You know the ones, usually taken at night, camera is somehow mounted to the passenger seat headrest, with a long(ish) shutter, so all the dash etc is clear in focus but out the window is all motion blur looking like your doing a bizzillion miles an hour.

How do you mount the cam? and what sort of settings would be used? I've tried a few times but the cam never stays still enough for a smooth/clear pic

This was about 8-10 seconds from memory. The trick is to clamp the camera down so hard it can't move at all. Even at slow speeds a car will jiggle about all over the place.

DSC0409web.jpg

Twingo Dynamique
Has anyone used fish eye effect filters, perhaps whilst doing this too....?? Does it work? And are there any decent ones? ( And cheap :p)

Q. For the various generation Go-Pro owners.

Shooting at a respectable frame rate, what's the average duration you can record for, and with what size memory card?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Can the above shots not be taken using self timer?

All great shots btw.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Cheap remotes can be had on ebay :) Tripod depends entirely on what you want and how much gear you need to support!
Thanks, ill have a look!

I only have a Nikon D3000 so i wouldn't need a particularly big one would I?

Also, does anyone know of any decent photo editing apps for the iPad? :)

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Have you any experience with softboxes? I'm going to make one for myself, it's simple as hell. A bigger one is very expensive with stand :(.

1.8 Civic EX
for the in-car shots focus wise I assume, flick into manual and leave on inifinty? Otherwise if focus on the dash there will be a certain amount of bokeh involved reducing the effect of the "light streams" through the window?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Thanks but I'm looking for a continous light softbox kit with stand. The cheapest that I found is £49.99 + postage (£30 :( )

1.8 Civic EX
Tried some more driving shots again last night. Failed miserably. Just can't get the game to stay stable enough :(

172 and vw passat
for the in-car shots focus wise I assume, flick into manual and leave on inifinty? Otherwise if focus on the dash there will be a certain amount of bokeh involved reducing the effect of the "light streams" through the window?

I focused on dash with about f8 and flipped to manual so it wouldn't refocus. Then if put camera on tripod on passenger seat (had my camera bag on seat put legs of tripod behind bag and strapped it in with seat belt. Then used corded shutter to take photo.

The VW shot i took with camera in the back two of the tripod legs in rear footwells and 1 leg on seat. Just drive slow and look for a smooth bit of road :D

172 and vw passat
I used sigma f/4-5.6 for 2 of the car shots. As they say ^^ its an epic lens. my most used lens.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
i think i'm gonna seriousely have to come to terms with how expensive all this is......... :cry: :L

I bought my 10-20 about 5 years and 2 cameras ago .. probably sell it on here or eBay for £350 without trying tomorrow... < 10quid a year depreciation isn't bad ;)

Camera stuff - it's all assets, just think of it like that. Buy the best body you can then spend money on lenses.

I started with a 450d and kit lens .. I've now got (new prices) about £3k worth of kit but I'd see most of that back if I sold it all tomorrow.

Just don't worry about it and get involved :eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Anyone used the Samyang 85mm? MF only, but seems to get rave reviews! Very cheap too!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I've used the Samyang, excellent lens. Tricky with MF but if you're shooting still life its brilliantly sharp. I've got the Samyang 8mm, again MF.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yeah, MF really doesn't fuss me tbh. Seems like a great lens for the money!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mackerfly - £599 ?! FLOL !!! I should start charging people for hints and tips. I'd be retiring before Christmas.

Read the stickies on here, read the tutorials on here: DPC then just go and use it !

For those, please paypal me £20.

ukaskew - Ooft... good luck with that. Not sure what you're going to do there :-/