ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picked up my Corsa VXR, few picks

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
theres a red 1 in warrington its a learner car, i like them apart from the headlights there massive

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Very nice fella, I really like the Corsa VXR and was torn between that and my 197. I went for the 197 as I already have Turbo power in the S13 and my old clio (so far) has been the car that I loved the most out of the 6 cars I have had in 3 years of driving...

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
mini meet might be in order at the weekend perhaps... didnt make it to catch up with dandan last weekend to see his new toy either

looks great in black and with the wheel upgrade
sounds good.

thanks for all the nice comments people.

172Petey

Looks lovely, cant wait to see it in the flesh!

mini meet might be in order at the weekend perhaps... didnt make it to catch up with dandan last weekend to see his new toy either

looks great in black and with the wheel upgrade

Wont be able to make a mini meet this weekend, afraid im away in Birmingham. Hope to see you soon though at some other meet.

clio 172 cup
that vid on youtube means nothing i dont think, vxr with a remap will nail any 2.0 clios.theres a diffrence between track and road.
track clio wins better handling
road vxr wins so much TORQUE, power all through the revs not like the clios

Clio 197
Not too my liking. Nice seats but as said, seems far too tall and although decent with a remap its still not as good standard.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Raced one of these on the m5 on Thursday :)

take it you lost then as no celebration :( ah well

What's the specs of these?
That looks mint, but not really my thing.
Those tyres are actually rubber bands :cool:

i had a play with one the other week and i found i was having to lift of a few times as i would have ended up sitting on his lap.

doesnt really mean anything though, for alls i know the boot could have been fully loaded etc etc

I dont want to slate the vxrs as theyre great looking cars and if i could afford one id more than likely have one.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nice wee cars but I think there's too much going on with the rear on the VXR Corsa's compared to the Astra version - perfect! :)

Best of luck with it mate, keep it clean

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Thanks for the nice comments

With regards to the few mentioning the height, it’s not really tall by modern standards.

Its only 4mm taller than a 197 at 1488mm a 197 being 1484mm.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yeh i like them too. 888 up here, see it on the way to work sometimes! Quick!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I would like one in a couple of years when there worth 6p
A sad but true inevitable point

One of the debatable subjects but they have been reported to hold there value better than most.

“What car” magazine site 55% for the corsa. 39% for a 197. And in autotrader etc seem to be going for more at a year old than clio.

All Vauxhalls, Renaults, fords etc lose shed loads. if it wasn’t for the discounts I got and the fact my uncle is a technician now for Vaux, I wouldn’t have brought new and or a Vauxhall probably.

Grew up with BMW’s so I’m sure I’ll go that way when I can

Last edited:
  PH2 172
My girlfriends dads goin to buy one of these in the nice blue they have should be fun cant wait to go out in it nice motors i recon.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thanks for the nice comments

With regards to the few mentioning the height, it’s not really tall by modern standards.

Its only 4mm taller than a 197 at 1488mm a 197 being 1484mm.

Think its more pronounced as the 197 Clio has a wider stance, and bespoke flaired wings front and back etc. The VXR uses the same shell as a 3 door Corsa? Nice cars though, and as said nice gains to be had with not much $$$$$

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjL_AyuhJnc

Looks like a waste of money wen u couldv bought a 197 which will av u off.
The driver “wod have me” off not the car.

Don’t get me wrong I know the 197 is a better driver’s car and does handle better, as reported in all the magazines, but I drive on the road not a track and any high speeds achieved on R-roads I’d say is down to the ability/balls of the driver not the handling of the car as such.

Put the STIG in a Corsa VXR and me in a 197 and he’d make me look like I’d driving a 1.2 I’m sure!

Tiff a few years back did a similar comparison with a 182 and civic type R. where the type R won by about the same amount. Tiff said it handled that bit better too, but there are many on here with stories of when they saw of a CTR in there 182’s. So I’m not too bothered about that review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-PI_rES6k

But I do mainly fairly straight Milton Keynes type -------O--------O------ Roads, so an extra 5% handling advantage wont mean a lot to me.

(also the 18’s are reviewed to give better handling than the standard 17 as in the review. I know that’s not too relevant as the review is standard V’s standard.)

+ I couldn’t get a 197 at the same spec as I got the Corsa as I got 25% off

but i am still a bit fan of the 197 but other factors as mentiond in other posts in this thread decided it for me.

Thanks for the comments people .

astra coupe on coilovers
i think the 197 would get beat dosnt the corsa vxr have the fastest small hatch time round nuburing ?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If it didnt theres still loads more tunning potential in the VXR.It really has the clio licked in all areas

clio 1.2 16v
do you not think they are a bit expensive for what you are actulli getting..
reli nice car though not putting a downer on it :)

Mk2 172
I hear that the Corsa VXRs are better to drive than the Astra VXRs...

I was told by all the lads that work in my local vauxhall dealer that its the other way round and that the asra is better!??!? strange. Ive not driven the corsa but have driven the ashtray.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9AgTHx1dzI

don’t like to mention it. its like being a member of a spurs forum and then turning around and saying I like man u (essentially what I’ve done tbh.) but yes

wonder if they tweaked the boost a little for that record

its possible but as it was a marketing exercise a doubt they would risk it. But any manufacture could “mod” there car even if they took the carpets up to remove the sound deadening.

its a fast course so the upper end will matter. thats where the corsa nudges it

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'd imagine in 90% of real world (I.e. not on a track) situations the Corsa would be quicker than the 197. Such as in the Evo mag review where when chasing a VXR up a windy mountain road, the 197 couldn't keep up... I love the 197, but I respect the VXR for what it is as well.

Here's the review - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car..._vxr_v_cooper_s_v_clio_197_v_ibiza_cupra.html

The video shows the difference in a straight line as well, the Corsa appears to be devestating to the Clio in pure speed terms, but the Clio is catching it under breaking.

Dan

Elise/VX220/R26
I have a lot of respect for the corsa VXR. TO be fair in terms of outright pace you get a remap on one and its a different league to a 197. The other week I had one on the motorway (meg is pushing out 269 bhp) barley pulled on the little bugger! The chap saw a post I put on meganesport and got in touch to confirm as I suspected that he had a courtney remap and nothing else on the car. 197 would have been a small dot in the rear view mirror.

Not driven one so cant comment on the twisty stuff. I hear that they are blighted by lack of steering feel but then so is the 197 (which I have driven and liked very much)