ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pipercross Viper Carbon Question - help a noob

Megane R26
Be warned, my Mechanical knowledge is very limited so this may not even be a massive issue, but wanted to run it past this forum just to check.

Bought my 172 cup just over a week ago, completely standard other than a Pipercross Carbon Induction kit. I was browsing the KTR website and noticed the same induction kit for sale. However on my car, the pipe from the end of the filter is not there.

Here is the KTR page for the induction kit with the picture:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=239

And here is what is under my bonnet:
7649850554_833db797a4_z.jpg

What difference will it have on my engine without that pipe? Is it important to have one? As the title says, help a noob :p

Thanks

Clio 182
With that pipe you've basically got a cold air feed as standard, which I think is a restriction anyway, your best bet is to remove the standard cold air feed and create your own with a bigger bore pipe.

Atleast it's an enclosed filter which in its current position will be bringing in fairly cold air from the front of the car anyway.

53 Clio's & counting
With that pipe you've basically got a cold air feed as standard, which I think is a restriction anyway, your best bet is to remove the standard cold air feed and create your own with a bigger bore pipe.

Atleast it's an enclosed filter which in its current position will be bringing in fairly cold air from the front of the car anyway.

Actually, with the position the OP's filter is in, it is pointing directly at the back of the radiator, so will be sucking in a large amount of hot air.

It should have a pipe on it, so you fit a pipe, loose the induction noise, or leave it off, loose a bhp or two, and have induction noise

Liquid Yellow 182
Actually, with the position the OP's filter is in, it is pointing directly at the back of the radiator, so will be sucking in a large amount of hot air.

It should have a pipe on it, so you fit a pipe, loose the induction noise, or leave it off, loose a bhp or two, and have induction noise

This is abit off topic but i got same issue with my standard air filter. I have not got the fabric cold air feed going to behind my headlight. Its just right next to my radiator sucking hot air. What difference will it make by adding the pipe? Will i gain abit of bhp and lose induction noise?

Clio 182

Good point. to OP. Get a 90 degree elbow and connect that back up ;)

53 Clio's & counting
This is abit off topic but i got same issue with my standard air filter. I have not got the fabric cold air feed going to behind my headlight. Its just right next to my radiator sucking hot air. What difference will it make by adding the pipe? Will i gain abit of bhp and lose induction noise?

Yes, the open end of the airbox means a closer opening to the throttle body, therefor giving a louder induction noise, by connecting a pipe onto it it will mean no hot air will be sucked in, but lengthen the induction route, which means the open hole is further away from the throttle body, which in a way, muffles the noise.

Weather you will notice the difference in performance, would be down to personal experience - you would probably notice a difference in warmer weather more than colder weather

Megane R26
Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going to leave it as is. The first thing on my shopping list after my Cambelt + aux + dephaser change next week is a KTR induction kit.:D

Clio 172mk2
You idealy need to run a long length to lower front bumber, if you joined it on to existing hose in engine bay itll hae the acustic valve closed untill you boot it. So idealy that would need removing too