ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PiperX panel filter - 172

Lee

BMW M2C

Around 5 - 6 months ago I purchased a PiperX panel filter for my 172. Today I figured Id get it out and give it a clean, so I popped to Halfords and spent £10 on the cleaning kit.

I removed the filter only to find all the rubber around the edge had perished and fallen away not giving a good seal around the top of the airbox.

For now Ive dropped the standard one back in and will be sourcing a replacement in the new year, most likely a green one.

Just thought Id mention that.

Lee

Lee

BMW M2C

Im certainly going to try it on in the new year. At the very least try and get a little off a replacement. Makes it worse that I had the wrong one sent (not my fault) and had to pay the return postage. :(

Lee

BMW M2C

Funny you should post in here Rich, I was just looking at what to replace it with. Ill have a look into those. (must resist a viper).

Ive also dropped David at K Tec a mail about the short life of my Pipercross filter. Anyone want the cleaning kit I paid £11.49 for? :mad:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The Viper is obviously a better option, but costs a lot more...

As far as panel filters go, the ITG is the best, but gains are less.

E36 323i coupe

Why is it in Hlafords they list the filter for the Clio as being round, when it is in fact, a pannel?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 02 January 2004

Why is it in Hlafords they list the filter for the Clio as being round, when it is in fact, a pannel?
The mk1 172 is round, the mk2/Cup is flat

Lee

BMW M2C

A green filter with VAT and shipping is £47.30.

Think Ill have to call Merlin for a price on the ITG.

Any comments on it siroldvolks?

Just found the orginal invoice for the filter - £47.00 all inc, so simular price to the Green Filter.

Without having any experience of other panel filters, I cant really compare to any, but certainly the quality of filter is very good. I did the "pull out the cold air feed to the box" mod when i first got the filter 6 months ago, so also get a nice induction roar.

Other people seem to recommend ITG also, which is why I went for it. Quality of the filter was also a main consideration, as I didnt want to be replacing it a year down the line from it falling apart - like unfortinately what has happened to your piper X panel!

Let me know if you want any more info!

Ziel Nurburgring

ITG from merlin is £47 inc VAT and Post.

So which ones best people, want to put an order in now so i get it for tomorrow

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 02 January 2004

ITG from merlin is £47 inc VAT and Post.

So which ones best people, want to put an order in now so i get it for tomorrow
Me too. :D

ITG!!! I think one of the main consideations really here is quality, and how long the thing is going to last. There is minimal power gains with a panel filter, so out of both power wise, theres not going to be hardly any difference I would guess.

Ziel Nurburgring

right, just called upto order the itg filter. Now they tell me its for the cup. Now without being a r****d, they are both going to be the square replacement filter and should just be a swap on the 172 isnt it?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 02 January 2004

right, just called upto order the itg filter. Now they tell me its for the cup. Now without being a r****d, they are both going to be the square replacement filter and should just be a swap on the 172 isnt it?
Cup / 172 = exactly the same.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 02 January 2004

Order placed, and should be posted this afternoon.

Are you going on Sunday Lee? Would be nice if this arrives tomorrow.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 02 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 02 January 2004

Order placed, and should be posted this afternoon.

Are you going on Sunday Lee? Would be nice if this arrives tomorrow.
I think Im going Sunday. Depends how I feel. I need a nice relaxing weekend now the festive period is over.

Fingers crossed it comes tomorrow too, I suppose I should have enquired as to how its posted!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Bollox, just checked and havent got my credit card in my wallet. Took it out on NY eve so i didnt rape it and havent put it back in. Oh well, Tell me how it goes over the weekend Lee and ill get one monday!! Do we get Cliosport discount, or can it be arranged as its bound to be a popular item for the forum?

Lee

BMW M2C

I didnt ask about a discount, but Im sure Chavy could have a word and sort something out for future purchases. There arent many places that I could find that supply ITG filters, let alone have them in stock.

Ill let you know if it arrives tomorrow. Knowing my luck it will, and Ill be asleep and miss the post.

2012 WRX Waggon

Yeah Id be interested in one!

seems to be some debate on the actual effectiveness of performance filters though....some say best just to change ur original one on a regular basis.

?????

Rs197r27

Lee

After reading your post i thought that i would check my piper x filter as It has been fitted for about a year now and my filter has gone the same way as yours, as in the rubber seal had perished and it had fallen away not leaving a good seal around the top of the airbox. So I have now put the standard one back in and I am thinking about give ITG a call tomorrow.

Richard

Lee

BMW M2C

Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow so Ill be able to give everyone an idea of the quality of it.

The PiperX is boxed up and ready to be returned.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I need to sort out my maxogen, might get a panel before that.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 05 January 2004

Lee, did you get the filter and whats it like. just about to phone and order mine now...
Amazing, Ive just phoned the old dear to see if its arrived. The phone rang out for a while as she was at the front door being given the parcel.

Ill let you know what its like when I fit it this evening.

172, Tiguan

Not to upset anyone but i got my Green filter from Demon Tweeks (where all members get a discount) for £36 inc postage.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Green is cotton gauze tho isnt it?

itg is foam (which i like)

Lee

BMW M2C

But how long did you wait jon? ;)

Im an impatient little git. :D

mailto:lol@Tom">lol@Tom for some reason I like the idea of foam also.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 05 January 2004

But how long did you wait jon? ;)

Im an impatient little git. :D

mailto:lol@Tom">lol@Tom for some reason I like the idea of foam also.

BLOODY AGES!!!

lol.