ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play in all new 172 suspension top mounts

NTG999

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi all, I've purchased all new genuine parts for my 172 suspension refresh. There is IMO a lot of play in the new top mount, I mocked up with the old top hat and nut and it is the same as with the new modified combined spacer/nut.
The 2nd related problem is the gap between upper and lower rubber mounts is about 4mm so the mounts won't grip the strut top bodywork.
Considering machining off the bottom of the combined spacer/nut about 3mm which might solve both issues - any suggestions??

Attachments

• 20200321_113212.mp4
    36.2 MB

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
The top cap should not make contact with the turret,and should have a 4 to 5mm gap.

If you machine the modified nut/spacer, it will become thread bound before it contacts the bearing, causing a REAL problem.

This thread and the link in post 2 about covers everything there is to know about top mounts.

The pictures from the red car has the modified parts fitted.

https://cliosport.net/threads/182-top-mount-failing-questions.819193/#post-11615686

NTG999

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for the info; I looked at all this again today and I see what you mean; if I machined the nut/spacer I would reach the bottom of the thread before it 'bites' on the combination of spring top plate & bearing. I've assembled them as designed and refitted to the car and everything seems fine but I haven't been for a drive yet :unsure:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
am having the same problem. do you have a photo solution answer for the solution?
1610313249315.png