ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please help! 52plate 172 Cup at dealer!!

Hi im new as you may tell.

Im very cautious when buying used, but finally have just spotted a 52plate 172 Cup at the local dealer. at least i will have come back.

i dont know much about the car yet. I do have a concern though -

the front wheels have ingrained baked on dirt (brake dust)... i looked closer and spotted the 2 front wheels.

The tyres tread is legal, but the outer edge (nearest the kerbs) have almost completely worn away! they are the orignal tyres tho the edge on each nearside wall has been worn off?

thats a concern is it not?? to me says the car is ragged, heavily cornered with under inflated tyres :(

Ph-Sold!

could well be a tracking issue, my civic had worn like that and got wheel shake at about 80ish. Simple enough to put right at any tyre place.

Volvo S60 T5

Where you live, got a 52 plate one at my works and it was being looked at by someone was it you?

As to the tyre wear, I expect they will fit new tyres for you if you request it as part of the deal.

renaultsport clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 19 May 2005

Where you live, got a 52 plate one at my works and it was being looked at by someone was it you?

As to the tyre wear, I expect they will fit new tyres for you if you request it as part of the deal.
as mike says new tyres and also the tracking checked and ajusted if needed.

DC5

Just request that the tyres are changed and the tracking checked. I got my 172 cup as a used car from a dealer, and made several requestes, alloys refurbed, couple of creases taken out of the door, and fair play to them , they did everything I asked.

Id be careful of any car like that particularly a Cup it might have had an off at some point in time and bodged up.
Have a look under the car for any other signs of fixing the paint is easy to match up so that wont give it away.

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 19 May 2005
nowt wrong with itwhich way do cars go round roundabouts???? HELLO

Roundabouts usually only destroy the front left wheel not the fornt right. Which way round the roundabouts do you go???
I only said that as my car suffered fom uneven tyre wear when it wasnt fixed properly.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson172 on 19 May 2005

The tyres tread is legal, but the outer edge (nearest the kerbs) have almost completely worn away! they are the orignal tyres tho the edge on each nearside wall has been worn off?
hum, sounds normal to me

Cup 172

My cup wears the outsides of the front tyres more quickly. Should be nothing to worry about.

Take it for a spin and make sure it feels neutral. Will always pull slightly to the left though.

Well have 3 options!!

Either the 52 plate 172 Cup (blue) with 22K miles, worn tyres (maybe other things worn) £8995 - 2 previous owners

OR 52 plate 172 silver, just got in last few days. Has 34K miles (that bad?) is in better condition i beleive £7995

they also have a 182 in Titanium with 50miles on, brand new 05 plate £11,995

hmmm help me!!

[Edited by Jackson172 on 21 May 2005 at 10:59am]

Ziel Nurburgring

Sounds like it was driven properly. My shoulders were gone by 6-7k. the rest of the tyre was legal, but it made corners fun in the wet.

Just ask them to change the car and ensure the 24k service is done before you buy it or youll have that in 2k miles and its anywhere from £120-250.

Is the 182 a cup, cup packed or std?

Id go for the 52 plate full weight 172 personally for £7995. 34k is nothing. The engines good for load of milages Yozs car has 80k or somehting on the same reg plate. Even my dci has more miles on on the same reg plate with no problems. Infact it might b a better thing as it shows the car has been serviced and done more long distance driving which creatles less wear on the engine. Plus its less likly to have been raced etc as many of that type of owers got Cups instead.

Clio Cup

Jesus £8995 for a cup 172 with 2 owners and 20k miles. Im selling my 05 182 cup with only 2700 miles for £9500 and still no takers.

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson172 on 21 May 2005

Well have 3 options!!

Either the 52 plate 172 Cup (blue) with 22K miles, worn tyres (maybe other things worn) £8995 - 2 previous owners

OR 52 plate 172 silver, just got in last few days. Has 34K miles (that bad?) is in better condition i beleive £7995

they also have a 182 in Titanium with 50miles on, brand new 05 plate £11,995

hmmm help me!!

[Edited by Jackson172 on 21 May 2005 at 10:59am]
Which dealer?

after test driving just the used cup

One other thing the temp gauge rose from cold to the centre (normal temp) very quick?? test drove for only 2mins and the needle was already in the central position even tho the car was started from cold and only moved about half mile!!

that was driving slowly. didnt go beyond the half way mark so didnt overheat...which was nice!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

My tyres always go like that after a few months-its down to giving it large on corners ;)

H

harryr34

after test driving just the used cup

One other thing the temp gauge rose from cold to the centre (normal temp) very quick?? test drove for only 2mins and the needle was already in the central position even tho the car was started from cold and only moved about half mile!!

that was driving slowly. didnt go beyond the half way mark so didnt overheat...which was nice!
The coolant ure rising quickly is normal on 172s, my 172 runs at normal coolant temp in about a minute!

Lee

BMW M2C

after test driving just the used cupOne other thing the temp gauge rose from cold to the centre (normal temp) very quick?? test drove for only 2mins and the needle was already in the central position even tho the car was started from cold and only moved about half mile!!that was driving slowly. didnt go beyond the half way mark so didnt overheat...which was nice!

Thats right. Within minutes it will shoot up to halfway, or usually just above, then stay there.

As for the tyres. Heres what mine look like after some hard track action: http://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/Spa2004/Spa/Spa090.htmlLink 1
http://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/Spa2004/Spa/Spa091.htmlLink 2

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

That is expensive for a 52 plate cup!! I bought my 52 plate standard 172 with 20k miles and 2 previous owners for £7600, and that was 6 months ago!

thanks all - got a few PMs too so thanks

there are 2 cups in my south hampshire area - both are £8995 with same 20K miles? thinks thats reasonable looking at private 52 or 53 plate 172s. bout £8500 is average ive found out>?

with my part ex im getting the car for virtually £8500 really, thats the 2owner, 22K car

test driving again for last time tomorrow- what other MAJOR things i should check finally? thanks all!

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson172 on 22 May 2005

thanks all - got a few PMs too so thanks

there are 2 cups in my south hampshire area - both are £8995 with same 20K miles? thinks thats reasonable looking at private 52 or 53 plate 172s. bout £8500 is average ive found out>?

with my part ex im getting the car for virtually £8500 really, thats the 2owner, 22K car

test driving again for last time tomorrow- what other MAJOR things i should check finally? thanks all!

Still think thats a bit expensive...but anyway if youre happy, get it! Its still covered by the rest of the warranty anyway.

BTW, whereabouts in South Hampshire are you? Im in Portsmouth..

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 19 May 2005
Where you live, got a 52 plate one at my works and it was being looked at by someone was it you?As to the tyre wear, I expect they will fit new tyres for you if you request it as part of the deal.

Mike works for Linningtons ;)