ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please help with Engine Issue - 182 2004

Clio 182 2004
Stereo working now - thanks to Dan@SJM

OK, just sorting some more things on my snag list, can I get some opinions on the following please?

1) a heat shield at the rear is rattling about and needs re-fixing or removing. I've never had a car with a rear axle like the Clio. I am not sure where to A) jack it up and B) put the axle stands. How do you guys do it? The front is easy, I jack at the rear bolt mounts of the subframe and stand at the subframe to chassis rail rear stays. Thx

2) my OE steernig wheel is knackered. I assume this is the same with all wheels, probably a manufacture fault. See pic below, the plastic is broken and the rubber material around the outside has gone gooey and almost melted. Usually would repalce with racing wheel, but I want to retain Cruise Control so need to keep this wheel. What is the normal thing to do to refresh the wheel? I was thinking of getting the kind of tape you would use on a tennis racket grip and put that all round the outside of the wheel. Thoughts?

3) the idle is a little lumpy on the car. Feels almost un-ballanced and rocks the car about a bit, not hugely, you might not notice it if you were'n't a gear head. Is this normal for F4R? It drives perfectly smoothly, just idle.

4) the choice to go with Renault Clio as a daily van, over the alternatives such as Honda Civic Type R, Puegeot, VW Corrado etc etc is finally paying off now that she is working for a living. Today brought home a Civic subframe(which is massive) & full exhaust system with room to spare. The clio has a massive and good shaped tail gate. There is something cool about a Renault making it's living by braking up it's competitor Hondas and Nissans.

"

Clio 182 2004
For the steering wheel you could try and source a steering wheel from a Clio 197/200 and fit that in it's place. Cruise control still works and it's much nicer to use!

I'm on it.

Nice thread, this.

Refreshing to see a trader offering as much free advice as they can to help a member out.

Yup - I was worried that the clio forum was going to be a bunch of youngsters talking in 'ghetto talk or whatever its called, and no real info - but I couldn't have been more wrong. Very useful place.

Clio 182 2004
OK been under the clio. The offending heat shield was the rear one. It had failed at all of the mount points and was just sitting on the exhaust. So I ripped it off.

While under there I noticed a couple of un-desirables:
- rear exhaust mounts have failed. They look crap and weak, so gunna see if anyone sells beefed up ones or poly versions
- the rear of the car shell is more rusty than I like the look of. Looks like I'll need to de-rust and paint the rear of the under-side of the car. Hate that job 😧