ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Performance French Car Magazine feature on highly modified Clio's

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yesterday in Ben_Stevo172's project thread there was suggestion of a Boosted / ITB'd Clio "Shootout" meet.

I emailed the editor of Performance French Car magazine, as suggested, and have received the following response:

Hi Darren
Thanks for your email. Yes, sounds interesting! Obviously things are pretty mad putting the magazines together etc, so it may be that you take some photos and do the write up, and we’ll publish the results. However, if we’re free we’ll try and meet up. Let me know when you’ve arranged something.
Cheers
Ian

So they are interested in covering it. We may have to take the photos and do a write-up ourselves depending on whether or not they're available on the date we go ahead with it.
However, we will first need to decide on a date, time and location and get a list of attendees, their cars and specs together.

So... put your names down on the list below if you're interested in attending. Also feel free to suggest possible locations (somewhere with a long straight would be ideal, and the more corners the merrier).
Once we have a definite list of attendees and have decided on a location I'll start looking at possible dates to get it arranged. It won't be until the weather gets better that's for certain.

Can I just re-iterate that we are only looking for Clio's with ITB's, Superchargers or Turbochargers fitted. Other members are welcome to turn up on the day but won't be part of the mag feature unless they organize something amongst themselves.

1. DMS - Clio 172 Turbo

DMS

A thirsty 172
Put your name down then! :p At the moment I'm just getting a list together of who will attend.
I'll be arranging it for the middle of summer if possible, so we'll have more chance of a dry track and it'll give people plenty of notice.

JB

RB 182 Cup
I don't have ITB's or boost but a quick idea for you:

Bit of a long shot but do you think you could try and get a shoot on a disused/privately owned airfield? Hey presto one long straight, plus the taxi ways will have corners!

Photo shoots on airfields always look mint too :p

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yes that was the idea. I was thinking somewhere like Bruntingthorpe, or even Dunsfold park if they'd let us ;)

ITB BG 182
Really why not go for some one with high suspension mods too and compare them on a track to engine modd'd cars too, i hear so many people say a good suspension/brake set up will keep up with some of the higher powered cars.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Because it's a shootout?

And then it'd just be any old Clio meet, this is specifically for forced induction, which everyone creams about.

Golf GTD Mk7
sounds like a good idea. Problem is different suspension setups will make a difference with these mods with regards to traction, so it won't be a fare test unless cars are standard shock/springs.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Me and Carl will probs be up for this if its sometime in the summer.

1. DMS - Clio 172 Turbo
2. Guppy - ITB'c Clio
3.Bazzon/Barron - High Comp ITB'd PH1

ITB BG 182
ok then do the itb set up, low and high boost set up on the turbo and also with the supercharger set ups too.

And why not a cliosport meet? other people should be allowed to come and help out but the main feature would be on the ones with the power upgrades.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
ok then do the itb set up, low and high boost set up on the turbo and also with the supercharger set ups too.

And why not a cliosport meet? other people should be allowed to come and help out but the main feature would be on the ones with the power upgrades.

I dont think he said, you could not attend.

Hes just trying to get names, and numbers and specs of cars that he want to feature. Once he has all this and has arranged a Place and date. Im sure it will be announced if people want o show up.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Read the first post. It says:

Can I just re-iterate that we are only looking for Clio's with ITB's, Superchargers or Turbochargers fitted. Other members are welcome to turn up on the day but won't be part of the mag feature unless they organize something amongst themselves.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Wont show anything though, some are stripped and semi stripped to different levels which will greatly bias results and not give any hints as to which will may be a better VFM tuning solution.

A weigh bridge and driver would be needed, but depends if it's meant as a serious article or just some boosted cars pissing around lol

DMS

A thirsty 172
Definitely just boosted cars pissing around. The idea is to get a feature in the mag for multiple members at once, not to get an accurate picture of how they perform against each other.
Turn up, arse about, take pictures, let the mag editors decide what to do with the material we produce.

Faded trophy
Sounds to me that it would be a good feature I would buy it if only I had the cash to supercharge my 182

I think your biggest problem will be location. If an editor from PFC calls up Santa Pod and says they want to borrow the track for a feature. Will be in a magazine. Sending down a photographer etc etc then it holds a fair bit of weight. If a random calls up and says him and his mates want to come down and race about (Which is how they will see it) it's not going to get the green light.

A shoot-out is not something you can do in a car park somewhere. So best bet would be to do some research into locations before you get too excited about it going ahead..

172 cup
what about somone running a high comp cam'd otherwise standard engine. Be interesting how that would go against a standard but itb'd lump

Mustang, S13, AX GT
It might be an idea to get whiteley/Jords F4R'd mk1 down there to see how they compare to the ITB'd/SC'd/Turbo'd cars. At the last meet I went too Jords mk1 looked about as quick as Bens ITB'd mk2 but then they didn't go drag racing to see which is actually quicker heh.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If you get an airfield it wont all be straight line surely? And even though might not be fun it would be a good way of showing that you dont have to have loads of cash to make a quick clio. There are loads of people on here who tell us the best mod is to shed weight from the car, yours or jords will be able to back it up in direct shoot out aswell as theory and figures. It'd be a good artical if it showed all kinds of clio performance modifying.

lift number 1 @ btm
i could be up for this if my car is finished.

also i may be able to get some time on kemble airfield and have a racelogic at home:approve:

182 S
1. DMS - Clio 172 Turbo
2. Guppy - ITB'c Clio
4. Adam 182 - Clio 182 supercharged

TrackCar & F30 330d
1. DMS - Clio 172 Turbo
2. Guppy - ITB'c Clio
5. chrispy.clio - ITB'd 182

TrackCar & F30 330d
I'm more than happy to come along show what i have and do a shoot out where ever.

I'm not going to be the fastest one there but it will be a good day.

Coupe/Defender V8
1. DMS - Clio 172 Turbo
2. Guppy - ITB'c Clio
5. chrispy.clio - ITB'd 182
6.Saltyhair81 -ITB'd Cat-428

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Right this is some thing that I've thought about as well and really think that there's far to many variables to get a conclusive result.

A large dyno shoot out would probably be the best idea, it will be a lot easier to organise and the results will show exactly what people are getting for there hard earned.

Whilst it's been mentioned that it's going to be good advertising for the tuning companies who carried out the conversions you could maybe ask them if the want to bring there demo cars to run side by side there customers cars? that way you'll see if they really are identical conversions?

Obviously at a reasonably central location and at an impartial dyno.

Only a suggestion, it wont be as much fun as three wheeling around an airfield but as Revels says it'll be a nightmare to organise otherwise.

Steve

BMW M135I
Surely a track test would be better, they all have some rough estimates on figures they are producing but track testing would show the difference between the different power deliveries

If you want some photos, I might be able to do some depending on time/location. If planetx reads this thread, we MIGHT be able to get an airfield for the day if he can sort that out. No promises though.

Last edited by a moderator:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Dan will you clio be supercharged by the summer?

The more the merrier for this meet, and your photography skills are amazing so it would be excelent if you could come :)