ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

possible warped brake disc

hi,

i have a strange howling sound when my car gets warm coming from the front wheel, when i turn the steering wheel or tap the brakes it stops but as soon as i take my foot of the brake or move the steering wheel to the same postion the noise comes back.
it isnt my brake pads cos they have been checked over and trimmed.

is it my brake discs?? it is really annoying me now becuase when i take it to a garage and the mechanic takes the car for a drive it doesnt happen!!!!

cheers

bearing, dont think so guys. it does it driving in a straiight line on the motorway, then if i turn the wheel the opposite direction it stops or a slight tap on the brakes it stops.

it has been happening on and off for the past 6 months.

Audi S3 225

Ello m8 I remember you replied to my post about my brakes, mine were fixed but for some reason it has started happening again, and it only happens when the brakes are warmed up like yours.

Mine makes the howling noise when driving normally in a straight-line, accelerating or cruising it still does it, only stops when I tap the brake pedal.

I tried fixing it by taking the whole caliper off and refitting everything with copper grease it helped for about a day then I got the noise back.

I’m well pissed off the noise drives me crazy, how much do the bearings cost and where can I get it done.

Thx

Sorry m8 didn’t mean to hijack the tread.;) <SCRIPT language=javascript>

Probably looking at 40 - 100 fitted for a bearing.. fitted..

Varies loads from place to place!

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 19 April 2004

Ello m8 I remember you replied to my post about my brakes, mine were fixed but for some reason it has started happening again, and it only happens when the brakes are warmed up like yours.

Mine makes the howling noise when driving normally in a straight-line accelerating or not it still does it, only stops when I tap the brake pedal.

I tried fixing it by taking the whole caliper off and refitting everything with copper grease it helped for about a day then I got the noise back.

I’m well pissed off the noise drives me crazy, how much do the bearings cost and where can I get it done.

Thx

Sorry m8 didn’t mean to hijack the tread.;) <SCRIPT language=javascript>
If its a bearing it would get worse very quickly, ie, louder...

Audi S3 225

M8, mine started getting really loud before i took the caliper off and put it back on. At the moment its not that loud, but its undoubtely gonna get worse. Last time had the noise for about a month before it started to drive my crazy and i tried fixing it.

100 quid no way am i paying that, can i get them cheaper online like at andyspares or eurocarparts and how hard to fit them, im gonna go check my hanyes manual...

Parts are about what, £20 - £30 I think?

You need a special tool tho to get them out of the hub.. so you have to get a garage to do that bit anyway!

Mr2 Roadster

You need a bearing press or a block of wood a hammer and a knack for all things slightly dodgy... to get them in that is!

And a Puller to get them out.

Puller is £23 for a 3 leg from Halfords. No doubt it will be stuck on solid though. Just pay someone.

If the bearing collapses, the bill will be more than that!

hehe or you can try the trick of smacking out the bearing internals and then popping a few weld spots/lines around the inside of the bearing, as they cool they shrink the bearing casing ever so slightly and out it comes... or so Im told anyways.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 19 April 2004

hehe or you can try the trick of smacking out the bearing internals and then popping a few weld spots/lines around the inside of the bearing, as they cool they shrink the bearing casing ever so slightly and out it comes... or so Im told anyways.
Ummmm.... :eek:

Not even I would bodge it that much! lol

Could be worth a go though!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

find a local garage with a press that will just press the bearing in and out for a fiver or something.

Audi S3 225

Can it cause damage driving around with a dodgy bearing and is it dangerous.

I think i damaged mine taking the same corner too fast and the pressure to the right front wheel probably caused the bearing to f**k!

19 16V

Well lets put it this way, when your wheel bearing collapses / implodes on itself at 140mph I dont think youll be around to post about it

Audi S3 225

ahhh ok so i should be alright my top ends only about 95mph, doubt ill die at that speed. phewww:D

btw are you joking or is it really dangerous???????

yes its dangerous.

But i dont see how its the bearing if it gets noisy, then goes quiet when you fiddle with it, then comes back.