ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Post from a Mini forum

Mini Cooper S sport

I love my 172, and I know a lot of people have a dilemma over whether to buy a Clio Sport or a Mini Cooper S (I had the same dilemma myself, and went for the Clio).

Just thought it was interesting to see the perspective from a Mini owner...and maybe whoever it was from here remembers this:

"I had a bit of a head to head with a 172 about 6 months back with a guy from Cliosport.net. Basically we both met up and headed out for the peak district where we put our cars through there paces against each other. In a straight line both cars were pretty much equal up to 115. Over the twisty stuff and again a very close call. I have had a few blasts with 172s and never had problems keeping up or keeping a lead but you cant really use this as a real comparison as you dont know wether the other driver is trying or not. But on that mild Septembers evening we were both definatley giving it all we had. For the price of a 172 though you cant really go wrong with the kit you get. An import with delivery miles can be yours for 12 grand."

(this is the link to the whole topic there on which car was better)

http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27960http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27960

I like the quote from this guy:

"Lets not sl*g off the Clio 172 because it is a very good car! The cup is a stripped down version yet stil a good car."

[Edited by Metallic Black on 19 June 2004 at 10:52pm]

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The mini2 guys hate me. i went on for 5 min and now have the worst rep ever.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Some decent comments and opinions there.Of course they are more likely to be biased because they chose the Mini when they could of had a Cliosport.

I chose the 182 over a Cooper S and fully stand by my decision.One of the comments said something about being individual,thats funny because it seems to me every second mini you see is a Cooper S.I have still yet to see another 182 on the roads.I know the post was about 172s but to be honest i have not seen many of these either but i do see Coopers Ss all the time.I want to vomit when i see them with the graphics i was going to go for in a silly attempt to "Be individual"

Ask the same thing on here and most people will go in favour of the 172,thats because we are owners !

Of all the comments on there one made me Lol from the guy who said 172s are girl cars and would look good in pink.Well im sorry but IMO if i think girly car the Cooper springs to mind first every single time.I dont think there could be a more girly car if all the designers in the world united !!

Elise/VX220/R26

hhmm youve got to wonder why people spend impreza money on a hatch tho. In theory there should be no cooper S on the road at all because every oether car in the class is as good or better and about 4 grand cheaper. I like the comment about clios not been individual. I get the feeling that mini owners in genral think they are doing something groovy and different when they go and buy a mini, but they all just end up looking the same. Sorry but I cant take a car seriously when its got a f**king union jack on the roof and a playmobile interior.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I almost went for a Cooper S and i was going to go for the union jack roof and stripes thinking i was being "Individual"

Im not joking when i say i have to look away when i see one like that and i really do thank God i never ended up with one.

Ah but Clios are not built as well because they are Renaults and not Bmws they say.When i looked into making the Cooper S the same spec as my 182 then all thoughts of build quality could kiss my arse when i saw the price difference. I could easily afford it but could not justify it,throw into the equation head to head reviews at the time where the 182 was beating the Mini and everything else in every test,quality aside then my mind was made up.Price for price the Clio wins everytime because of standard equipment,spec a Mini up to what a Clio has then decide if its worth all that extra money...nope,not in my opinion.

I think the new BMW minis and the new VW Beetle are in some way wrong. I love to see what people have done to the real mini and bug when theyve spent some, now they can be individual.

Going to a dealer and buying a new car with factory graphics and the like and is trying to immitate those enthusiats who have the skill and spent the time to be really individual with their car.

I got a mate who loves minis, he has a cooper (a proper one!), and he is six foor 3. I p*ss myself when he comes over, its like watching the hunchback of Notre Dame driving and he doesnt so much get out of it as unfold...

Astra VXR 17/05/07

God i used to love Dangermouse !!

Nail on the head there...

Old mini cooper = Icon

New mini cooper = Wanna be icon

Ditto for the Beetle

182, GTR, C63

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 19 June 2004

Some decent comments and opinions there.Of course they are more likely to be biased because they chose the Mini when they could of had a Cliosport.

I chose the 182 over a Cooper S and fully stand by my decision.One of the comments said something about being individual,thats funny because it seems to me every second mini you see is a Cooper S.I have still yet to see another 182 on the roads.I know the post was about 172s but to be honest i have not seen many of these either but i do see Coopers Ss all the time.I want to vomit when i see them with the graphics i was going to go for in a silly attempt to "Be individual"

Ask the same thing on here and most people will go in favour of the 172,thats because we are owners !

Of all the comments on there one made me Lol from the guy who said 172s are girl cars and would look good in pink.Well im sorry but IMO if i think girly car the Cooper springs to mind first every single time.I dont think there could be a more girly car if all the designers in the world united !!
Not to spoil your dream world mate but i see loads of 172s cups and 182s but yes theres more mini cooper s than our kind of cars. Oh and a lot more civic rs they bore me a bit but i like the seats.

what i dont understand is that the cooper s 0-100 times i think was 21.9s but the 172 is 17.9s ok either the cooper s owner lieing or the 172 owner was a Crap driver.

and that 0-100 time was for the new cooper s that has the new engine that provides even more power. hey listen to this. they managed to get another 7bhp from it lol my god its got a supercharger they could get 20-30+ with no problems?

and about price difference i get me 182 in 1 week now and me mate bought a cooper s because he thought he was cool and that their would be none on the road. lol he was wrong their. he paid £18,5000 for it if i remember and i got mine for £12500 but mine has all the options his has plus more lol and he still justifying that its worth that much saying that they sell for same as he paid for it and its a year old lol.

he already been back to the dealer to have headunit changed front seats changed, rattles from behind the dash, rattles from the rear which they cant fix. lets put it this way i think ya all better of with the clios lol

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

The VW isnt a beetle, The original beetle was a rear engined and water cooled, the new one is front engined and air cooled. Making it ototally different.

The new one wasnt designed by Hitler either. Again, Making it totally different.

All these "revivals" are just an easy way to make money cashing in on young peoples current enthusiasm for nostalga. The beetle and the mini are for three kinds of people.

1 - Women, more specifically hairdressers who traded in their mx5 / possibly TT.

2 - Gay Men about town who think they are being "quirky", again who traded in their MX5 / or TT.

3 - People who are so focussed on fasion that they have to waste a ridiculous amount of money on a fasion accessory, who deffinately traded in their TT.

On topic, I would have to go for a clio over the new mini or a beetle, just because I dont like either of them, and couldnt justify spedning the money on either of them, when the comparisons of what you can get for cooper S money.

Quote: Originally posted by Deeg on 20 June 2004

The VW isnt a beetle, The original beetle was a rear engined and water cooled, the new one is front engined and air cooled. Making it ototally different.

The new one wasnt designed by Hitler either. Again, Making it totally different.

All these "revivals" are just an easy way to make money cashing in on young peoples current enthusiasm for nostalga. The beetle and the mini are for three kinds of people.

1 - Women, more specifically hairdressers who traded in their mx5 / possibly TT.

2 - Gay Men about town who think they are being "quirky", again who traded in their MX5 / or TT.

3 - People who are so focussed on fasion that they have to waste a ridiculous amount of money on a fasion accessory, who deffinately traded in their TT.

On topic, I would have to go for a clio over the new mini or a beetle, just because I dont like either of them, and couldnt justify spedning the money on either of them, when the comparisons of what you can get for cooper S money.
:oops:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

LOL, Have i messed up?

I was told this by my uncle who is a big bettle fan, but couldnt remember which way round it was?

Oh well, either way, still not a beetle. LOL.

i always see mini coopers and cooper S about, how anyone can say the clio is a girls car compared to a mini lmao , rose tinted glasss me thinks!

90% of minis i see are driven by women , then the odd cooper S by a bloke, i dont mind the cooper S glad they actually made a decent spec one, but at the price i wouldnt waste my money on one! as for normal coopers they remind me of the vtr

as for build quality , well renaults are renaults , not famed for that! but the bmw mini isnt much better if any, especially at the price of them !!

E36 323i coupe

Apart from the astronomical price tag, the thing that really put me off the mini was one I had seen in an accident, I had to attend while in the Special. It had been shunted from behind at 30ish mph. The boot door was flat against the backs of the front seats. Anyone who might have been in the back would literally be flat.

I have seen Clios that have been involved in very serious accidents and the passenger compartment always stays intact.

Seeing the Mini - in spite of the fact that there actually was no-one in the back - made me physically sick. I cant even get in one now, as the thought of that accident haunts me.

Ziel Nurburgring

New VW Beetle ripoff thing, FWD, front engined, watercooled basically a golf with a face lift.

Old Beetle, RWD, Rear engined, ari cooled and one of the best classics on the road if refurbd properly.

You cant compare either the new mini to the old, the new beetle to the old or the new VW Camper to the old.

They are marketing people cashing in on a brand. DONT BE FOOLED by the rocks that they got, there not classics from the block!

NEW MINI = Large corporation + 60s Icon + Up To Date Technology

RESULT = Fails miserable at a wannbe car...

Conclusion...buy something else!!! not a german car with a union jack on the roof!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 19 June 2004<DIV class=posttext id=p8>I love my 172, and I know a lot of people have a dilemma over whether to buy a Clio Sport or a Mini Cooper S (I had the same dilemma myself, and went for the Clio).<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>Just thought it was interesting to see the perspective from a Mini owner...and maybe whoever it was from here remembers this:<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>"I had a bit of a head to head with a 172 about 6 months back with a guy from Cliosport.net. Basically we both met up and headed out for the peak district where we put our cars through there paces against each other. In a straight line both cars were pretty much equal up to 115. Over the twisty stuff and again a very close call. I have had a few blasts with 172s and never had problems keeping up or keeping a lead but you cant really use this as a real comparison as you dont know wether the other driver is trying or not. But on that mild Septembers evening we were both definatley giving it all we had. For the price of a 172 though you cant really go wrong with the kit you get. An import with delivery miles can be yours for 12 grand."<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>(this is the link to the whole topic there on which car was better)<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27960http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27960<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>I like the quote from this guy:<DIV class=posttext> <DIV class=posttext>"Lets not sl*g off the Clio 172 because it is a very good car! The cup is a stripped down version yet stil a good car."

[Edited by Metallic Black on 19 June 2004 at 10:52pm]

That was me and Cooper-S Boy, and it was about 2 years ago now! And yes, his MINI Cooper-S was easily as quick as my old 172 MK2 was, but when RRd, my 172 was down on power compared to others on the same day.

Oh yeah, the Cooper-S handles better than the 172. Much more stable in corners and much better turn in.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 20 June 2004

New VW Beetle ripoff thing, FWD, front engined, watercooled basically a golf with a face lift.

Old Beetle, RWD, Rear engined, ari cooled and one of the best classics on the road if refurbd properly.

You cant compare either the new mini to the old, the new beetle to the old or the new VW Camper to the old.

They are marketing people cashing in on a brand. DONT BE FOOLED by the rocks that they got, there not classics from the block!
LOL, new it was one way or the other on the air / water cooling. Agree though, old beetles when done properly look the nuts! As with most old cars though, have to be done well.

Clio 182

lol, dont know how you can have an enthusiast forum for a new mini.....how anyone can be enthusiastic about an overpriced wannabe is beyond me.......

Quote: Originally posted by dan_mk1nova on 20 June 2004
lol, dont know how you can have an enthusiast forum for a new mini.....how anyone can be enthusiastic about an overpriced wannabe is beyond me.......

Often beats me how people can be enthusiastic about rattley badly built French crap...but take a look around...

Fact is Clios are fun to drive, and the new MINIs are fun to drive, and thats why people become enthusiasts.

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 20 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by dan_mk1nova on 20 June 2004

Often beats me how people can be enthusiastic about rattley badly built French crap...but take a look around...

Fact is Clios are fun to drive, and the new MINIs are fun to drive, and thats why people become enthusiasts.

agreed.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by DoddCup on 20 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 19 June 2004

Not to spoil your dream world mate but i see loads of 172s cups and 182s but yes theres more mini cooper s than our kind of cars. Oh and a lot more civic rs they bore me a bit but i like the seats.
Im not living in a dream world mate.

My comments were made based on my real world.Since ordering my 182 in January and taking delivery in March i have yet to see another 182 in my area or out and about.In the same space of time i have seen loads of Coopers.Even travelling on the motorway which ive been doing a lot of lately its the same,loads of Cooper Ss no 182/172s.

182, GTR, C63

Sorry mate it must just be a popular car round here as theres 3 reg vardy renault dealers within 10 miles of me. So loads of people have 172s theres about 1 cup i see often but i have seen a fair few on my travels and i see a 2 182s around here often also. There are a lot more mini ses and civic rs which has really put me off the civic r. Its gonna be hard choosing a next car thatll top my cup though. In my price range anyway.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Holy Moly :eek:

3 Reanault dealers in 10 miles !!! No wonder you see loads !

I must admit though when you do see loads of a certain car in your area it does put you off.Thats one of the reasons why im glad i never went for a Cooper S because i see so many.

You have a tough choice next time but at least you will never be far away from a good old fashioned tear up with all these hot hatches near you !