ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential new project: Car -> Van. Questions.

LY R27
I've always been into clios, owned a few including a lovely LY R27. Then it was time for me to get something a little more (or less) practical, so I went typically German a couple of years ago. A few cars later I have an e86 SilverGrey Z4 Coupé.

I would like a hatchback van; I travel quite a few miles, run a sideline business and run a Kart for a bit of "hacking" on the weekends. So naturally I have been drawn to the Clio =D. I was planning to lower it a touch and stick some 1*2 panels on it with some company logos on the rear then boom.

After looking about at Mk2 Clio vans I have seen there are around £1-2k, this is ok, but the "commercial" insurance is through the roof. I've seen a few people take a standard clio or 1*2 and convert them to a van. Since the insurance would be as a road car and not a commercial vehicle, it would drop by a huge sum.

Is this easy enough?
Are the parts easy enough to come by like window blanks, rear interior etc?
What would I need?
Anyone have any photos/threads of this been achieved?
Legal Complications?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
With regards to the legality, if you convert it to a van you'll need to tell your insurance. Thus putting you back in your original predicament.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id rather convert a car than buy a van for a couple of reasons.
1. you get cheaper road tax, the cars are £20/£30 a year compaired to the vans which I believe are well over £100
2. you get the choice of the 80 or 100bhp engines where the vans are all 65 (think the later ones might have been 70)
3. much better spec interior, cumfy seats, better stereo, outside temp guage etc etc
4. easy to find one with aircon

since you said you do a lot of miles these are things that might appeal to you!