ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Power Issues' G_2500

vaux cavalier
Power Cap

Power Cable

The 'BIG THREE'
1, Battery -- Upgrade to Larger Capacity
2, Alternator -- Upgrade to Higher Output
3, Charge Circuit Wiring -- Upgrade all Charge Circuit wiring

'Kiddies Big Three' or number 3 'Charge Circuit Wiring'
1, Battery to Chassis Earth -- Upgrade or 'ADD TO' to suit new requirements
2, Alternator to Battery Charge Lead -- Upgrade to suit higher output alternator
3, Alternator Earth -- Upgrade to suit if fitted
4, Engine/Gearbox Earth -- Upgrade if Alternator earths via this lead/strap, (most later ones do)....

If you haven't fitted a higher output Alternator then the only charge circuit wiring which will require upgrading is the 'Batt to Chassis' earth....

Let me know what your running & I will tell you what you require cable & fuse wise....

Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2003
I have a Alpine CDA-9833R head unit
3000w Wiring Kit 4AWG
And Alpine MRP-M650 Amp & SWR-1242D Sub

I already fitted the earth cable (4 awg) from battery to
chassis earth but the lights still dim on bass hits

I think I found the alternator to battery + charge cable and added to the existing lead.

I looked but couldn't find the alternator to Chassis EARTH. also looked under the alternator couldn't see it

I'm not going to touch it at the moment as I'm drunk but will take some photos and upload. hopefully try and do it 2mrw if I don't have a hangover, depends if my bro drags me out again for his 30th.

Last edited:
  vaux cavalier
Possible causes of continued dimming;

1, New Batt/Chassis earth site --- Is it cleaned back to bare metal ???
2, Amplifier Earth Site --- Ensure it is also cleaned back to bare metal & in a good location....
3, Charge Circuit Inadequate --- Battery not big enough to cover extra load ??? Alternator not large enough to recharge battery due to your driving requirements ???

Time to get the multi-meter out mate...

Check battery float voltage
--- 100% charged = 13.2V --- 100% depleted = 10.8V --- 50% charged = 12V

Check voltage at amplifier --- Engine running, stereo playing at low volume...
Check voltage across BATT terminals....
Check voltage across Amplifier POWER & GROUND terminals....

Readings should be within 0.1V of each other....

Carry out same checks with stereo playing at loud volume....

Readings should be within 0.5V of each other....

If readings show a greater difference then double check power cable connections at BATT & FUSE HOLDER.... Check voltage at input side of fuse holder & at output side of fuse holder, any variation in these readings indicate an area of high resistance, (bad connection or faulty fuse)....

Check fuse connections for discolouring associated to heat build up....

With regards your Alternator; It will be earthing via its mounts through the engine/gearbox earth strap... No benefit would be gained upgrading this unless original is showing signs of corrosion or general disrepair....

Possible causes of continued dimming;

1, New Batt/Chassis earth site --- Is it cleaned back to bare metal ???

I cleaned back the earth site, was abit corroded so cleaned up again. Is the earth a good location? any advice for better location would great

2, Amplifier Earth Site --- Ensure it is also cleaned back to bare metal & in a good location

The amplifier earth. i drilled a hole into the chassis under the rear seat and cleaned to bare metal using a drill and wire adaptor. then screwed a bolt into in.

Still cant find the gearbox earth strap. is it the bolt with the yellow arrow, if it is cant see where its connected to the chassis. Think the bolt with red arrow is the battery - to gearbox.

Last edited:
  vaux cavalier
I can see no real issues with your wiring so far mate, the only change I would make is swapping the self tapping screw holding the amp earth for a nut washer & bolt....

The earthing of the alt & batt look fine, if there were any issue with regards ground loops system noise would be evident....

I'm afraid the only way forward now is to actually prove your audio is suffering a loss of voltage.... Perform the multi-meter checks to trace any suspect points of high resistance in the supply feed to the boot....

You could also try a little test which may ease your concerns slightly....

Sit in the car at night with the engine running & lights on, switch on the interior light & operate the electric windows, its perfectly normal for the dash lights & interior light to dim on the initial draw of the window motor.... Now operate the hazzard lights, its perfectly normal for the dash & interior light to dim in time with the hazzard lights....

These issues are caused, or rather multiplied, by the simple fact that car electrical looms are designed with cost over safety in mind, if they were designed to avoid voltage drop profits would suffer....

I have noticed that the clock display dims when the electric windows are operated. Think my brother has a miltimeter, will get it off him and do the testing as soon as

Quick question, could it be anything to do with the earth on the head unit? I remember having to hook up an 8awg power lead direct to the head unit in order to stop it cutting out. Was thinking maybe it need the same gauge earth lead, as you have quoted "you can't take out what you can't put back in" p.s think the reason I added the power lead to the head unit was because some1 said some alpine head units need more power than usual, not sure if that's to do with it being 60w×4 or not

Engine off. Voltage across BATT terminals = 12.86

Last edited:
Engine on. voltage across BATT terminals. Stereo playing at low volume. = 14.49

Last edited:
Engine on. voltage across BATT terminals. Stereo playing at Loud volume. = 13.29

Last edited:
Voltage across Amplifier POWER & GROUND terminals. Stereo playing at low volume = 14.41

Voltage across Amplifier POWER & GROUND terminals. Stereo playing at loud volume. Fluctuated between 14.37 to 13.37 on base hits

How do I check the voltage at input & output side of fuse holder? Do I connect the multimeters negative to the negative on the battery? Just want to be sure before I do it!