ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

power steering pump

over the last few days when starting from cold the power steering pulley wheel on me 1.8 16v clio has been squeaking but after a run and its warmed up - say 20-30 mins it dissapears and runs great. i need to bleed the system too cos it makes a racket when turning like theres air in the system. called the AA out the other day and the patrol sprayed some wd40 on the pulley and the noisew dissapeared and he told me its deff the pump and reckons about £300 to fix.

the car runs fine however even from cold - just the damn noise. do you reckon i should get it fixed and any ideas on what kinda cost for the pump replacement?

also is it worth getting the cam belt done at the same time as its upto 25000 on the presenrt belt and a lot of the labour is similar to changing the other belt on p/steering??

cheers mike

the pump aint that hard to do trust me what i would advise is you get a new rubber o ring when changing the pump they tend to perish and leak. definatly do do a belt aswell its not needed. if you need more help email me mailto:phatnova24@hotmail.com">phatnova24@hotmail.com thanks bondy

mine squeeks like a b**ch!

anyway, simple test, open the bonnet, start the engine and get some one to turn the steering wheel to full lock. Mine squeeks as at full lock the puley stops and teh belt squeeks over it. Putting WD40 jsut stops teh squeeke, the pulley will still be slipping, and the effectivenes of the pump reduced. CHange the belt.

Had the same problem! Theres a "Slick 50 treatment" you can get for power stearing pumps from halfords.. It worked on mine really quiet...