ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not expecting a great response but I’m after a corded impact that will undo a 230nm nut. It’s for my bike rear wheel that I’ll always have 240v power to remove and use it about 10 times a year so no point having a battery that will end up fucked.
Any recommendations?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not expecting a great response but I’m after a corded impact that will undo a 230nm nut. It’s for my bike rear wheel that I’ll always have 240v power to remove and use it about 10 times a year so no point having a battery that will end up fucked.
Any recommendations?
I know you're going to anticipate my answer but it could be worth looking at the milwaukee stubby impact for £89 (needs battery). They do 340nm.

That way you also have a usable tool for other stuff and it's super mega compact in size so you can take to track days and that.

Very welcome to pop over to mine down the road to try it out.

Reactions: Pep

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I know you're going to anticipate my answer but it could be worth looking at the milwaukee stubby impact for £89 (needs battery). They do 340nm.

That way you also have a usable tool for other stuff and it's super mega compact in size so you can take to track days and that.

Very welcome to pop over to mine down the road to try it out.

How much is a battery…any links?

Id prefer one to corded but I don’t want to just screw the battery up by it barely being used and be a waste. Is that still a thing or are lithium’s ok standing for a while?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How much is a battery…any links?

Id prefer one to corded but I don’t want to just screw the battery up by it barely being used and be a waste. Is that still a thing or are lithium’s ok standing for a while?

Something like that would be spot on regarding a battery and charger etc.

Would be keen to see if it would undo what you need it to undo. I could have a go at torquing a bolt to 230nm tomorrow to see if it will undo. What bolt diameter is it?

I've had my first m12 battery for what must be 6 years now and it performs equally as well as the newer ones I've bought.

It's only the really old style impacts about 15 years ago that suffered with battery degradation like that. I remember my dad having one and we'd charge it for 6 hours for it to go flat after 20 mins. He'd always blame me for it 😂

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

Something like that would be spot on regarding a battery and charger etc.

Would be keen to see if it would undo what you need it to undo. I could have a go at torquing a bolt to 230nm tomorrow to see if it will undo. What bolt diameter is it?

I've had my first m12 battery for what must be 6 years now and it performs equally as well as the newer ones I've bought.

It's only the really old style impacts about 15 years ago that suffered with battery degradation like that. I remember my dad having one and we'd charge it for 6 hours for it to go flat after 20 mins. He'd always blame me for it 😂

Thanks mate, looks decent enough. I’m sick of swinging around a 1200mm breaker bar and risking damaging the wheel!

It’s a big diameter, 55mm socket but not actually sure on the thread diameter. If you fancied doing a test that would be awesome!
Pretty sure it’s 1/2” drive socket so I’d need a decent adaptor too I guess.

I remember those days 😂 but at least your dad gIves me a cuddle after..

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Ahh potentially you'd need the 1/2" version then as you can lose a fair amount of ugga duggas with an adapter. Will give it a go tomorrow and I'll let you know mate.

Ah that would be rubbish as very overkill for 1 nut! Or I could chuck the bike in the van and drive over to you for a real life test?

Ive always avoided this thread as it’s a slippery slope with tools, this would be a steady start of stuff I barely need. Added the ratchet as I want a free cup.

B5B232C3-C76F-4A44-92F1-511F1E9F067F.png

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_20211113_095234.jpg
IMG_20211113_095234.jpg
Ah that would be rubbish as very overkill for 1 nut! Or I could chuck the bike in the van and drive over to you for a real life test?

Ive always avoided this thread as it’s a slippery slope with tools, this would be a steady start of stuff I barely need. Added the ratchet as I want a free cup.

View attachment 1566230
Well I'll be honest I thought I wouldn't have a chance with an adapter.

That's released from original spec and torqued up to 230nm as per your required torque.

Welcome to come over and play with my balls whenever mate just shout.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Well I'll be honest I thought I wouldn't have a chance with an adapter.

That's released from original spec and torqued up to 230nm as per your required torque.

Welcome to come over and play with my balls whenever mate just shout.

View attachment 1566264

I’m a bit drunk but that’s awesome thank you! Is that a 3/8”?
Maybe you could undo my nuts sometime?

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered, thanks for the help mate 👍

Wheres the best place to get some sockets and adaptors?!

Well played. Not even the most occasional DIY'er has ever regretted having the right tool for the job. Just keep buying now haha.

Reactions: Pep

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Really want to get a cordless ratchet, my snap on man wants £480 for the long neck one. Lot of dosh compared to the Milwaukee but having used both the snap on feels a lot nicer to use. Something tells me Milwaukee must be due an update for the ratchet soon.

Want to get a new 1/2” gun too, tempted to get the gen 2 mid torque milwaukee. Anyone have one?

This one

D02DCA02-F401-4C6F-982D-508994111E78.jpeg

I definitely won’t be going snap on for the 1/2” due to price (although the latest one seems to be top dog again). I’m not sold on the Milwaukee 18v battery though, it feels terrible the way it fits (new workmate has a 1/2” and I’ve tried it a few times) lot of slop and i can see me breaking it.

Ingersol Rand do a really nice one which looks great quality.

Some impressive results from makita and dewalt (seemingly better made and more powerful than Milwaukee) but just seems something really wrong about having one in the workshop.

Keep going round in circles.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Really want to get a cordless ratchet, my snap on man wants £480 for the long neck one. Lot of dosh compared to the Milwaukee but having used both the snap on feels a lot nicer to use. Something tells me Milwaukee must be due an update for the ratchet soon.

Want to get a new 1/2” gun too, tempted to get the gen 2 mid torque milwaukee. Anyone have one?

This one

View attachment 1566954

I definitely won’t be going snap on for the 1/2” due to price (although the latest one seems to be top dog again). I’m not sold on the Milwaukee 18v battery though, it feels terrible the way it fits (new workmate has a 1/2” and I’ve tried it a few times) lot of slop and i can see me breaking it.

Ingersol Rand do a really nice one which looks great quality.

Some impressive results from makita and dewalt (seemingly better made and more powerful than Milwaukee) but just seems something really wrong about having one in the workshop.

Keep going round in circles.
Well well well

If it isn't Mr "Snap on is better and so is Ingersoll Rand"

Oh how the turn tables!🤣🤣

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I've got the long neck ratchet and the gen 1 mid torque, both very good.

But I don't throw my tools around like you 😉

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Mine turned up today but won’t undo the rear wheel 🤦‍♂️
Just putting the battery on charge and see if it will with full juice.

@dann2707 please can you PayPal me a refund?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Well well well

If it isn't Mr "Snap on is better and so is Ingersoll Rand"

Oh how the turn tables!🤣🤣

Why did I picture you adjusting your Milwaukee baseball cap before cracking your fingers to type that 😂

To be fair I’m definitely no snap on fan boy, I’ve had Milwaukee 3/8 stubby for over a year. It’s done well apart from being a bit flimsy regards the 6.0 battery hanging off it (on my 3rd battery shell)

But, yeah I prob would go new snap on 1/2” and ratchet if they weren’t so bloody dear. Milwaukee is great for the money it still feels a bit DIY in hand to me as a full time tech. I just wish they’d up the quality feel a bit and sort the battery out and I’d be there with you buying the lot and the Milwaukee underwear too.

You can’t blame me for being fond of my snap on 1/2” after over a decade in service. It seemed decent enough after getting the batteries rebuilt with better cells last year but it does lack the power of any of the modern impacts.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the long neck ratchet and the gen 1 mid torque, both very good.

But I don't throw my tools around like you 😉

I have had to reel the dropping on to my boot thing in a bit with the Milwaukee. Mind you I replaced the battery shell a while back, was babying it a bit more after that… then I was off work for a few days and when I came back the battery clip was busted again. My tools get used when I’m not there and I’m 100% it wasn’t me.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Which gun and what mode?

Tried it on all settings.

Haha yeah you'll be wanting it on full charge. What sockets are you using? Got a pic?

Can’t be bothered to get a pic! Although I fucked up and my big socket is actually 1” drive so had to use 2 adaptors.

Probably got it on setting 1 🥵🥵

I didn’t even have the battery plugged in for the first hour of trying…

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Tried it on all settings.

Can’t be bothered to get a pic! Although I fucked up and my big socket is actually 1” drive so had to use 2 adaptors.

I didn’t even have the battery plugged in for the first hour of trying…
Okay wanted to see what type of socket you were using. Using two adapters is a recipe for major torque loss.