ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got someone I know that does clearance/removal work a lot. He does all sorts and picks up all sorts.

He recently cleared a works unit belonging to a carpenter. Was meant to be clean and tidy - it wasnt. So he took a lot of the tools as payment (all agreed before hand) and I caught wind he had a few tools for sale.

I popped down with an open mind and a few things I wanted, didnt find anything I needed but then I spotted this big boy at the back

View attachment 1622401

As you can see its now next to my smoker. Its the higher 240v one (with standard UK plug which seems a bit sketchy). I asked how much he wanted for this (it has legs also) and for an old press drill.

"Hows £50 sound for both?"

OLD AATT YOURR AAAAAAND

The best part is, I have an entire metal biscuit tin rammed full of drill bits thrown in too. Everything from small to large and the wood working ones too.

Cant wait to find out how long it is till I become an amputee.
Looks like the same model I have except mine is the 110 with transformer - With a new blade they cut really nicely!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Looks like the same model I have except mine is the 110 with transformer - With a new blade they cut really nicely!
yay! Ive been looking at it (from the picture I took cos im at work) and it slides the whole blade backwards and forwards too?!

Ive honestly never owned something so manly. Im scared but also excited.

I really fancy building a picture frame but I think first im going to build some basic timber battons to fix onto the wall in the garage. then i can make some nice clips/holes for housing my snow foam lance and various other things.

Im excited to give it a go!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it does, in a very satisfying action too - however your slides look a bit rusty so if it doesn't move smoothly you might need to strip it down for a clean and lube up.

The blade can also be rotated in two planes which is nice.

1670082372703.png

From memory the handle at the front has two sections and both are locks, so you unscrew to do various things.

They are a nice bit of kit and for sub £50 its a real win!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yes it does, in a very satisfying action too - however your slides look a bit rusty so if it doesn't move smoothly you might need to strip it down for a clean and lube up.

The blade can also be rotated in two planes which is nice.

View attachment 1622429
From memory the handle at the front has two sections and both are locks, so you unscrew to do various things.

They are a nice bit of kit and for sub £50 its a real win!
Ah, amazing!

Im gonna watch a couple of videos but also bring my mate whos a chippy by trade round so he can teach me how not to cut my hands off....

I literally only bought it because I wanted to be able to cut some oak logs down to make them fit in my Pizza oven :ROFLMAO:

Now, im like 'Oooh what can I build!'

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, amazing!

Im gonna watch a couple of videos but also bring my mate whos a chippy by trade round so he can teach me how not to cut my hands off....

I literally only bought it because I wanted to be able to cut some oak logs down to make them fit in my Pizza oven :ROFLMAO:

They are grade A for cutting flooring nicely... might struggle with oak logs depending on size.... go through fingers like butter though 🤣

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
They are grade A for cutting flooring nicely... might struggle with oak logs depending on size.... go through fingers like butter though 🤣
ill leave my flooring guys for cutting that up :ROFLMAO:

Basically the oven can only fit finger like bits in but I keep robbing whole logs off my dad. Ill split them down to a reasonable size but then I can just run them through the chop saw and it should be fine. They wont be huge.

I just think its epic the amount of adjustment you can have, perfect for loads of little jobs if/when we buy our own place. For the money, its a proper cool bit of kit.

Is it worth buying a new blade or just running that one?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
ill leave my flooring guys for cutting that up :ROFLMAO:

Basically the oven can only fit finger like bits in but I keep robbing whole logs off my dad. Ill split them down to a reasonable size but then I can just run them through the chop saw and it should be fine. They wont be huge.

I just think its epic the amount of adjustment you can have, perfect for loads of little jobs if/when we buy our own place. For the money, its a proper cool bit of kit.

Is it worth buying a new blade or just running that one?
If your only cutting up firewood just keep the current blade, if you were doing something that needed a nice cut then new blades are great. Saying that I am making the assumption that the blade it currently has is blunt and fucked..... given your current luck situation it will probably be nearly new too 🤣

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’m need of a leaf blower/sucker, so many leaves.

Any reason not to go for something like this?

Just to confirm, there’s a lot of leaves, and I am lazy.

Fodda172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport

I’ve got 1 of them, there spot on 4 blowing BUT after about 10 minutes in vacuum mode it’s starts to kill ur back! With the weight of it

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
If your only cutting up firewood just keep the current blade, if you were doing something that needed a nice cut then new blades are great. Saying that I am making the assumption that the blade it currently has is blunt and fucked..... given your current luck situation it will probably be nearly new too 🤣
So, yeah, blade is also decent :ROFLMAO:. Kerrrching!

On a side note, chaps, my press drill.

Its missing the 'clamp?' things that hold what youre drilling (lol) in place.
Are there universal ones or is it just a case of buying the right ones/making something?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i

Something like this mate
Thats exactly the kind of thing I had in my head.

The large holes would be handy too as I could rig up some nuts and bolts to have it nicely secured down.

The only seemingly minor issue I would have would be heights. None of my bits are very long and the 'press' doesnt come down so far. So, I could cut a couple of my 2x4 blocks up, sit that vice on top and, providing i have reasonably long bolts, it should all bolt over the top of the wooden spacers perfectly.

Exxxxccceeelllleeeennnntttt

Cheers!

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
That was just a quick search mate. You can get them with quick release to open and close so you’re not winding so much.

make sure the bottom plate doesn’t move up and down? That’s usually the case.

For bolting the vice down, I used something like these as they give you easy adjustment of the vice position without tools. Just look out for how much space you have to play with so the levers can swing.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
That was just a quick search mate. You can get them with quick release to open and close so you’re not winding so much.

make sure the bottom plate doesn’t move up and down? That’s usually the case.

For bolting the vice down, I used something like these as they give you easy adjustment of the vice position without tools. Just look out for how much space you have to play with so the levers can swing.
tbh mate i just ordered that exact one and its already at home lols. Praise the lord for Screwfix click and collect!

Its heavy enough that it should do what I need it to do. As I said, once I have a bit more time, ill just mash some bits of wood together, bolt them to the bottom of the press drill, then bolt that clamp to the wooden blocks. Its a bit redneck but it should work and thats all I need it to do - work.

Im hardly 'into' wood working' or anything like that but its just nice to be able to have the opportunity to make/build something if I want to.

The mrs, after seeing my chopsaw, has requested I make her a shoe rack for the cupboard downstairs. TBF, there are shoes f**king everywhere so its a decent idea. Cant wait to see how many times I have to go to B&Q to pick up more timber as ive fucked up the previous attempt

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
tbh mate i just ordered that exact one and its already at home lols. Praise the lord for Screwfix click and collect!

Its heavy enough that it should do what I need it to do. As I said, once I have a bit more time, ill just mash some bits of wood together, bolt them to the bottom of the press drill, then bolt that clamp to the wooden blocks. Its a bit redneck but it should work and thats all I need it to do - work.

Im hardly 'into' wood working' or anything like that but its just nice to be able to have the opportunity to make/build something if I want to.

The mrs, after seeing my chopsaw, has requested I make her a shoe rack for the cupboard downstairs. TBF, there are shoes f**king everywhere so it’s a decent idea. Cant wait to see how many times I have to go to B&Q to pick up more timber as ive fucked up the previous attempt
Don’t go b&q for wood pal

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member

I bought a blower / sucker a few weeks ago. took it back as it was w**k, I bought a leaf rake for like £30 from B and Q and its amazing, doesnt hurt your back and takes a few minutes to clear a 10m x 8m lawn with a full wheely bin full of leaves!

Honestly get a rake!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
May well do, just need to find a good way of doing it all.

Rear garden is approx 450 square metres, then there’s also a sizeable area to the side (where the b*****d trees are), and then a tiny bit out the front.

Rear garden is still just all mud at the moment, need to get that sorted once the house builder has finally finished the s**t they haven’t done yet out the back.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Don’t go b&q for wood pal
Honestly, I couldnt tell the difference between them so its all fine for me.

I do have a trade account with TP's and Howdens so that also works if required.

Ill get a bit better at it and then start buying better stuff

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Ah, amazing!

Get a guard fitted on it. So easy to catch yourself accidentally without one.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
You'd only do it once 😂

It only takes 1 slip up to change how you use machines.. Although It was more driving to a and e with no power steering and then waiting 4 hours to first be seen and getting back at 11am in the morning (accident was early hours of morning) that made me change me ways.

Surgery 2 days later found aluminium chips under my nail that the original ex ray didnt pick up. Very very lucky. Cant lie, big lathes and mills are daunting but I have no choice until I buy cnc.

If you dont like blood dont click, surgery had to remove the annihilated nail completely and stitch it up. Now you wouldnt notice anything has happened unless you look closer and know what to look for, very lucky considering...

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Had an early gift form santa the other day... Thought I was going to the unit to organise stuff which ended up in cleaning everything machine, got the dehumidifier going and downed everything in anti corrosion spray once Id done. I have some LPS3 but it I think its bit overkill and it smells unbelievable strong.

Curerntly use crc 3-36, sometimes use boeshield, anyone have any other recommended anti corrosion sprays? I find that the metal starts to go yellow ish after a while and its a bit of a bummer considering they've all been stripped down and cleaned, you could almost see your face when they were first done..

EBEC5B33-171B-4E49-B438-B4C12E25F33E.jpeg

EC494689-3E23-420B-85C3-2D0762B13DC7.jpeg

FF77FE1F-0F6B-4E82-BB54-B8A9502D21B5.jpeg

728A08F8-5FDA-4D93-8D9E-E09C4CBB2C61.jpeg

5C90F2EA-8441-40BF-997B-2124386CD15E.jpeg

493F1482-1279-4F5E-9C4E-CC95D254FF24.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Had an early gift form santa the other day... Thought I was going to the unit to organise stuff which ended up in cleaning everything machine, got the dehumidifier going and downed everything in anti corrosion spray once Id done. I have some LPS3 but it I think its bit overkill and it smells unbelievable strong.

Curerntly use crc 3-36, sometimes use boeshield, anyone have any other recommended anti corrosion sprays? I find that the metal starts to go yellow ish after a while and its a bit of a bummer considering they've all been stripped down and cleaned, you could almost see your face when they were first done..

View attachment 1624751

View attachment 1624752

View attachment 1624753

View attachment 1624754

View attachment 1624755

View attachment 1624756

ACF-50?

It's quite a thick consistency though, so doesn't really spray as such, more like wiping it over everything.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
@JamesBryan Have you ever used LPS3? First time I used it I didnt think much of it until I started to go light headed and had to get out the unit asap 😄 Smelled kinda fruity which tricked me.

I've not no.

You may get a similar feeling with ACF/Corrosion Block with them having a petroleum mixture, although that should flash off after a while.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I’ve just ordered a DeWalt oscillating multi tool from ffx.co.uk and it’s thrown up a £20 discount code to anyone I recommend. If it’s useful to someone who’s about to buy any tools here’s the link.

Edit - just noticed it’s £20 off orders over £250 so most likely not very useful. Sorry 😂

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I am rebuilding a Bridgeport mill and decided to buy a bt30 spindle from China as I wasnt happy with the R8 style nor runout. However, the end cap came left hand threaded, great, so I made a new cap out of en19 and with a rather expensive test bar, got these results..

IMG_3317.JPG

FNZH0653.JPG
AHUH1628.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

200.gif

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Torque the draw bar to 35nm, same runout every time 😃. I also did a quick test with an iscar 40mm facemill. Still trying to dial the head angles and the vice though, needs some sort of 0.01-0.02 sheet shims as I have seen in a cnc video dialing in a 4th axis, as there is some slight wear in the vice and table. With the good runout I'm hoping for 0.01-0.02 tolerance on my parts once every things dialed in!

Somehow Its nearly gained 500 views in under an hour o_O

IMG_0138.JPG