ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project OMG (mk1 16v)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Sorry for the lack of pictures, im not usually into the whole "blogging/doing write ups".
but as im bored, i thought id give it a go!

So late august year, my love afair with my low **** finally came to an end, too much beaching on speedhumps had taken its toll on the gearbox/diff and it locked solid!
32123415628490856579425.jpg

32123415628360856579425.jpg

32123415628425856579425.jpg

Tbh, i wasnt even that annoyed about it, i had said to myself for months, next time it breaks, im moving on! so before i had even got the car recovered i was on the web looking at valvers (since i had always wanted one!)

after a week or so, i found one that i really liked, it was local, slightly modded in the right way, and in my price band. So i went to have a look at her and hopefully buy, when met with my first problem......

The previous owner didnt have the logbook :S, though my imediate reaction was to run a mile, everything seemed innoced, (selling from a nice family house in a good area, not a shadey character in a carpark). So i agreed a new price, and applied for a new logbook.

pic of the car as i bought it!
b05f5ab5.jpg

it was more or less standard,
slightly lowered,
K&N filter,
decat and mongoose exhaust
lighten flywheel.
metal monkey dials

so i bought her, and that evening, took her out for a drive. I wanted to see what she could do, and get a feel for it so i had a couple of blasts. And tbh, i wasnt very happy.

Though granted, my last clio was sat on bumpstops, so everything feels boaty to me, but the suspension felt incredibly loose! Pulled over, and she added insult to injury, and was pissing out water :mad:. So i crawled her home, and went to bed an unhappy bunny (first car ive ever really bought)

So i started to look for the water leak. to make things easier, i tried to take the bonnet off, and BANG, one by one, the bolts snapped (later i found out you can just unclip the hinge!) "what next" i was thinking to myself! Found that the leak was coming from the lower rad hose, so off i went in search of a new one. ECP dont have them, autocare dont have them, so had to go to renault. £67 for one hose!! and a 5 day wait. bought some bodge repair for the meantime, and some bonnet pins to hold the bonnet down!
While stripped down, i also replaced the k&n filter for an ITG pannel filter in the origional airbox!

In the meantime, i began to strip the car out! i had kept the seats from my old clio, so they went in, and i picked up a halfcage from a lad on clio16valver, aswell as a new sunroof motor as the old one had packed up letting it leak!! (which i also found out the hard way). also threw the areal from my old clio on as this one had been snapped off.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

few days later, hose comes in, and i sling it on, happy days! UNTIL!! the already rather low clutch starts playing up, sometimes it wont go into gear, sometimes it would. then BANG! and the clutch did nothing! (pedal still felt firm, but wouldnt disengage the gears) luckily this was outside my house!! Once again, i began to strip it apart, and found that the clutch plate had split, and spat some the springs out! so £108 for a new clutch and gearbox oil! 2 days later shes back on the road!!

So finnaly, she was all working nice, and i finally had a week of good behavior and was beggining to trust it!

However, i still didnt like the handling, just felt far too boaty for me. So i purchased
Powerflex bumpstops,
new top mounts,
new springs,
new balljoints,
hightemp paint (for the callipers :D)
spax adjustable rear shocks
OMP strutbrace
and got about fitting them. also wanted to try and lower the tortion bar, but the incorrect tools led me into a brick wall! Even with all this fitted, its not quite as tight as i'd like it. Getting the tracking done soon, and Koni adjustable front shocks as soon as i can afford it!

While she was off the road, i set about sorting the massive rust hole that stripping it had uncovered. i grinded it back to bare metal, painted it with rust stopper, and fiberglassed over the hole. Not permanent, but i intend to have the arch replaced at somepoint.

Hole:
SPM_A0059.jpg

Fiberglass
SPM_A0063.jpg

after this i painted it very thick with hammerite paint. i know its not the best job ever, but its not really bodywork so meh. its held very well so far!

also added some tow stickers, removed the ktr sticker and window wipers.

plans are to (in order)
Get tracking sorted
lower tortion bar to match,
new front shocks,
new rear tyres
new arches!!

How she stands now
IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

sorry if ive gone on,
ive owned the car a month, and you are completely up to speed!
ill try to have more pics and less words next time!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
note,
foglight is missing as im in the process of making a cold air feed,
and one cetrecap is missing as some dirty scrote stole on! (or it fell off)
new one is on the way!

Yeah, needs widetrack for definate!

Brave taking on a Mk1, least you've sorted the problems - no doubt there will be (alot) more to come lol.

CLIO PH1 172
ahhhhhhhh its you im getting the wheels from lol u come up to fcs with me ( met u at mcDs @ lakeside) shame about ur old clio but the valver looks mint. iv got an old one of those wheels if you want it ? its a bit shitty no centre cap and a crap tyre but might be good as a spare?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Welcome to mk1 ownership. Expect to be fixing it more than driving it.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i do want to do a widetrack on it!
will also change the rack for a non PAS rack,
my one wines like buggery!

how much work is fitting a widetrack??

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Good to see it at the Essex meet today, Hopefully it's running fine for the January one!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
fingers crossed,
new shocks koni adjustable front shocks will be on the way with the money i sell my wheels for!

so hurry up adam! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ahh, well that sums it up!
im in a bit of a pickle then,

The shocks on there NEED replacing!

do i
A) buy some koni adjustable shocks valver fitament,
and do a wide track conversion next summer,
sell the konis and get some shocks williams fit!

B) Not get new shocks, and try and do the wide track conversion as soon as possible!
which still might not be around until next summer, if i bother doing it just yet!!

are the shocks same fit for both valver and williams?!

No, williams are designed for the wider track...

If you want to do williams (or in the case of my link, 172) widetrack, you need to ideally use Williams fit shocks..

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
but i want new shocks NOW!! theyre really bad!

i shall have to ponder,
whats the perks of having a widetrack??

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
get a set of standard second hand shock for now then get a widetrack later

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
but you could also do a combo of the 2, Williams widetrack with 172 brakes ;)

Trophy Turbo :)
how can u do a williams wide track with 172 breaks, not possible. The Hubs from the 172 wont fit the williams shafts! and the calipers from a 172 wont fit the williams hubs ;)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ill probs go for the 172 track,
just collect the bits over the next months!
but i dont know how long itll take the find the part, let alone afford them (student budget!)

did want unprated shocks in the meantime!
i guess i could just get konis for the now,
and sell them when time comes to do the 172 track,

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
how can u do a williams wide track with 172 breaks, not possible. The Hubs from the 172 wont fit the williams shafts! and the calipers from a 172 wont fit the williams hubs ;)

you can. you take the centres from valver/Williams and press them into 172 hubs

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see a thread up for this, looks like you had even more bad luck with the clutch after I saw you! Certainly not a good start, but at least you got to know it...?

Get the widetrack done and the new shocks, it'll feel like a new car!

Oh, then wash, polish and hoover it! :p

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
that was washed polished and hovered!!!
what are you trying to say :( lol

lol jokes,

its for the best the clutch went, at least i know what the problem was, and that it's sorted!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
What a piss on tho... getting parts isnt going to be easy, May as well just get 172 from the start, williams bits are getting rare now as well :)

yeah i probably would have done that if i did get offered a willy widetrack for peanuts. also doesn't the 172 widetrack make it more likely to crack a wing.

sorry for going off topic a bit. the car looks great and wish i had that plate on mine

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
yup, hovered it one day,
the next day i got in with dirty shoes, and that happened!

i thought the exterior looked rather nice tbh, but ive now been told otherwise :(

tbh, the paintwork isnt amazing,

im glad you like the numberplate! :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
yup, hovered it one day,
the next day i got in with dirty shoes, and that happened!

i thought the exterior looked rather nice tbh, but ive now been told otherwise :(

tbh, the paintwork isnt amazing,

im glad you like the numberplate! :D

I imagine it's the photos more than anything then mate, it looked pretty tidy when I saw it tbh!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you cut me deep rob!

it does come up very nice when polished,
but its not in great nick bodywork wise,

one arch has a big paint run,
the entire front is chipped to fook,
bootlid is very rusted around the bottom on the window,
and one arch has very matted paintwork.

basically needs a machine polish to hide most of the imperfections!

Also, reading that guide f0xy,
i think it might even take me longer to sort a 172 track,
finding the bits is going to be hard,
affording the bits is going to be harder,
and fitting the bits is going to have to wait until next summer due to my lack of garage space!

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Looks really good!!
I'm sorry you have had so many problems with it :-(

Why did you change the tires. It had 4 new on it?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
annoyingly in an attempt to change some of the rotten bolts in the exhaust, ive managed to make it knock :(,
something ill be looking into this weekend,

also intend to fit all new ball joint bolts as one is in very poor condition and managed to work itself loose! (scarey drive home)
and fitting new front springs as the old ones are rotten :)

i want to change the rear tyres to something better tom, theyre not gripy enough for my needs :D

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
busy day today,

got up really shocked to see the postman outside clutching a big box with spax on the side!!
(i only ordered them wednesday eve)

nipped to renault before i got to work as i had ordered all new bolts that link the balljount to the wish bones!
if you saw earlier in the thread, one had worked loose, which put me on edge so i ordered all new ones!!

goodies!!

IMG_0122.jpg

£16 from renault on bolts :( good old stealers!

was hard at work when a delivery van pulled up outside!
and delievered me this :D :D :D

SPM_A0065.jpg

i carried on with what i was doing, and removed the springs,
i cleaned it up a bit and took a picture!!

SPM_A0068.jpg

SPM_A0069.jpg

should i replace these springs?? im not sure what condition you can let them get to before performance will suffer!

after this i got to work on my engine mount.
very easy job and after half an hour or so, it was in!!

SPM_A0066.jpg

finnally i wanted to make my cold air feel properly,
so i removed the pipe thats in the inner wing, (with a saw in the end :( )
and then had to saw the bracket it goes through in order to get my pipe thorugh. and jubilee clipped it to the airbox!

doesnt look atll that, but thats a job for another day me thinks!

after putting it all back together, she feel great, much stiffer and the engine doesnt have much movement at all!!
Unfortunatley, i think the upper gearbox mount might also be on its last legs :mad:
it does let a bit of movement through so now the engine moves very lop sided!

but thats a job for another day!

next job is get the tracking sorted,
and lower the tortion bar!

then new gearbox mount
and powerflex bushes if need be (may well just hold out for the wide track!)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ok a couple of little bits done today,

followed foxys guide and purchased this! from b&q

SPM_A0070.jpg

yes a nice piece of guttering!

i then hacked it down as a trumpet for my cold air feed!!

IMG_0124.jpg

pickey mods FTW!

i also cleaned up the front bumper as it was covered in glue under the numberplate!!
IMG_0123.jpg

have ordered a cut down front plate and a new rear palte which should come in a few days!

cant wait! i think new plates really tidy up the look of a car!!

also have these on ready to start fitting tomorrow
IMG_0125.jpg

yeessss polyurethane wishbone bushes, should stiffen her up that little bit more!!

plan to get the tracking done as soon as theyre fitted,
and then get an uprated ktec gearbox mount!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
just the one for now,

theres no way of getting the other to the airbox,

not sure whether to replace the other fog with a blanking plate

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
vibrates like buggery! but the engine feels alot less like its swinging from a chandelier and about to fall out at any second,
i think i need to do the gearbox mount too before it really stiffens up!

im pretty sure the bushes need welding it,
the entire subframe assembly bears an uncanny respeblance to the mk2s lol

i dont think renault really changed much tbh, have you got polybushes then??
as mine came without instructions and im not 100% cetrain where needs welding!?
is it jsut the outer sleeve to the wishbone??

and adam, a brake cooler on one side may cause uneven brake fade surely??
which could get interesting

CLIO PH1 172
lol i ment mainly for looks tbh as it looks a bit odd atm, im sure somebody had both fed the the filter or maybe it was a mk2 im thinking of?